1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Horses could soon be slaughtered for meat in US?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Prince, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Prince

Prince Member

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/103269/horses-could-soon-be-slaughtered-for-meat-in-us

What's next, dogs?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

That'll make the expression useless....

[​IMG]

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Years ago, a U.S. airline I worked moved about 50,000 lbs/week of horse meat to Paris (from Texas). The horses were slaughtered here but shipped for consumption to Belgium (via Paris).

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I thought they did this already.
    I think it was REAL SPORTS
    did an expose on how the horse Racing industry
    had the MEAT MAN.

Basically . . the horse that came in last at the Kentuck Derby
    could be meat 24 hours after the race

Rocket Rover

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/04mvw6tTHrs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rocket River

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

What's the difference between horse meat and cow or pig meat. I don't care what meat is available as long as it safe, labeled, and doesn't mess with endangered animals.

8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

cant be as bad as some of these local corner stores meat...

9. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Pigs are proven to be as intelligent as dogs and people eat the hell out of them. Don't really get the horse outrage.

10. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Really? You're okay with slaughtering dogs and cats for meat?

ultimately, what AstroRocket said is the bottom line for me.

11. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

One of my biggest regrets was not taking the opportunity to try dog meat while I was in Korea.

I would have no problem eating horse. I heard it's pretty tough, though, and not really the best tasting meat out there.

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm against the idea of horse meat consumption for humans. The problem I have with the closing of the US horse slaughterhouses a few years ago is they now ship the horses to Canada and Mexico for slaughter. I don't know how humanely Canada handles it horse slaughters...but the Mexicans do it in the worst manner possible. There is nothing humane about it. They can't afford to do it humanely...so it's basically a guy with a long bladed knife cutting into the horse spinal area in a little rectangular fenced in area so the horse can't move. It truly has to be agony for the poor horses. It is one of the cruelest ways to put an animal down I've ever seen. And, it was PETA that pushed for the US ban on horse slaughterhouses that allowed the exports to occur from the US. For an organization truly interested in the ethical treatment of animals, they really screwed the pooch on this one when it became known what is happening to the horses in Mexico. I was outraged personally.

Therefore, I'm open to the idea of re-opening horse slaughterhouses in the US as long the horses are put down humanely...which I believe they will be. We can't control how other countries put the horses down and whether it is done humanely. But, we can control it if we do it here.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm down with it. Though I won't be eating any.

14. Prince

Prince Member

...and raising roosters for cockfighting is illegal, and that's only for raising here in the states for commercial purposes. talk about double standards.

15. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Same here. The real reason is a human emotional attachment, any other reason is just an excuse. Animals for consumption are treated poorly across the board. Pretty arbitrary for humans to rank them now considering what we already do.

16. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

:eek: That is awful! :( I won't be eating horse meat. Eek.

17. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

We eat horse every time we go to Sweden. Its like a deli meat and we eat it for breakfast. It's actually really freaking good. I was told, so take this with a grain of salt (pun?), that all of their horse meat comes from the US.

18. VanityHalfBlack

Humans are next....

19. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Well, we're not exactly high on the list when it comes to animal rights. I still find it incredible that you have to buy organic milk in the U.S. to ensure you're not drinking rBST. Even words like "free range" "grass fed" and "natural" have been proven to be misleading. Wish our country would have some integrity when it comes to regulations.

20. Prince

Prince Member

in Pakistan it's already happening... ;)