1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Better With Age: Yao Ming Enters World Of Wine

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zoids, Nov 28, 2011.

1. zoids

zoids Member

Man, $289 a bottle... what was he thinking?

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/chompions/201111/better-age-yao-ming-enters-world-wine

Not that the 31-year-old always had a taste for the finer things in life. He knew very little about wine growing up and watched as the people around his hometown of Shanghai poured it over ice cubes. It took a lesson from former teammate Dikembe Mutombo, who was swirling his glass at dinner, to kick-start his interest.

"I always watched him at our dinners and I'd sometimes ask him 'Why are you doing that?'" Yao told the Journal. "I was just trying to copy him."

How many of you here will buy one to try?

2. Garner

Garner Member

Yao is all over the place..sheesh.

3. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Except the basketball court....

4. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

It sucks seeing Yao in the Dish instead of the GARM. As for the wine, I'll ask my local Liquor Connoisseur to get a sample.

5. SidDaKid

SidDaKid Member

Yao Ming is now battling with Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Mario Andretti and Greg Norman.

But this isn't some made-for-television poker game featuring former sports greats. Yao is joining the ranks of retired athletes with their own winery. This week the eight-time NBA All-Star is launching Yao Family Wines, a California outpost that will be focused on the Chinese market.

"I really like Napa Valley," Yao told the Wall Street Journal. "California represents vacation, casual [living], sunshine -- everything related to a good quality of life."

Not that the 31-year-old always had a taste for the finer things in life. He knew very little about wine growing up and watched as the people around his hometown of Shanghai poured it over ice cubes. It took a lesson from former teammate Dikembe Mutombo, who was swirling his glass at dinner, to kick-start his interest.

"I always watched him at our dinners and I'd sometimes ask him 'Why are you doing that?'" Yao told the Journal. "I was just trying to copy him."

Now, Yao will copy Mike Ditka, Arnold Palmer and so many other retired athletes who've entered the wine game -- to varying success. His first offering is a cabernet sauvignon made with Napa Valley grapes harvested in 2009. But Houston Rockets fans will need to check their ATM balance before they think of buying it. The 7-foot-6 Yao has priced the bottle out of reach of most wine drinkers at $289.

Yao Family Reserve, a 500-case production available later this year, will be even more expensive. (You can see the entire selection of Yao Family Wine here.)

Fans have spent hundreds for a pair of Air Jordans for decades. Now the question is will they triple that for a little Ming merlot with dinner?

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/chompions/201111/better-age-yao-ming-enters-world-wine

6. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I'd try it if it wasn't $289 a bottle.

7. cod

cod Member

Overpriced wine, meh. You can get quality wines for $15 nowadays because of the global wine glut.

On the other hand investing in a winery when there's been a global wine glut since mid-2000s. Along with running a non-profitable sports team. Yao is burning his cash. He's headed for a "comeback".

8. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

Besides this. Yao has lots of other business in China. The guy will be even richer after he retired as an NBA player.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

I swear the Chinese people are made for businesses. I have several Chinese friends who are ALL successful businessmen(woman?).

10. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

they be strategic and good (or just not complete r****ds) with numbers, yo.

11. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Trust me, Yao is a lot richer and a lot more successful than you can imagine.

If he ever does have a "comeback" it would not be a financial reason.

12. MrJason

MrJason Member

I'm expecting Yao to make a lot of money out of this.

He's the most popular person in China. If he makes an American product and says it's good. People over there are gonna stock up.

13. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Doesn't even have to be American, people just need to know it's expensive and it might do well if it catches on. A Carton of Chunghwa cigarette will run you $150 in China (Marlboro is $30 - $50 depending on tax by comparison), but since it's know to be expensive, it becomes THE gift to give when visiting family, friends and etc that smokes.

I'm sure it tastes good (I don't smoke) but when something that people go through as fast as cigarettes get up to 5x the price of competitors, a lot of it has to do more with the brand. Just like people show off a nice watch or jewlry, you can easily show off a nice carton of cigarette to flaunt.

14. Soybean Fanatic

He should've made the bottle ball shaped. That way, you could pack it in a paper bag, go to a local playground, gulp it down and then try to dunk it while screaming "Yao Ming"! Or shoot some three pointer with it (don't forget to scream "YAO!" while you're doing it).
    It would only be a matter of time, that wine would be more respected and feared than any Air Jordan or such.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Les is in the wine business in China...I wonder if Les is distributing this wine there using Yao's name for branding/marketing purposes?

http://www.nba.com/rockets/community/Leslie_Alexander_Biography-307773-822.html

Leslie Alexander’s passion for wine led him to purchase land in North Fork, Long Island to start a vineyard. The vineyard was planted in 2001 under David Abreu’s direction and supervision, with the best French rootstock to suit the sandy soil and mild climate. Robert Parker has called Abreu the best viticulturist in the United States, and he is in charge of many of Napa Valley’s most prestigious vineyards including Harlan, Bryant and Screaming Eagle. Alexander’s vineyard consists of five acres of Cabernet Sauvignon, sixteen acres of Merlot, one acre of Pinot Noir and one acre of Chardonnay. After six years of cultivation, Alexander launched Leslie Wine in 2008, which is currently selling four exceptional 2007 vintage wines exclusively in China.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They used to say that about Jewish people too.

17. Halfback10

Halfback10 Rookie

I thought Yao is being hypocritical here. He supported the ban of shark's fin as food, and now he's encouraging alcohol? Tsk tsk tsk.

1 person likes this.
  18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

really? what does one have to do with the other? are you suggesting grapes are being mistreated?

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

This is so offensive. Like you don't know what happens to grapes. :rolleyes: Here's a hint: the wine people don't even wash their feet before it happens.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't know why athletes get sucked into the wine business so easily. Very expensive and a high rate of failure.