1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: NBA Lockout is Over

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ItsMyFault, Nov 26, 2011.

1. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

A question I gotta ask. Why in the hell would Nene want to re-sign with the Nuggets?

If I'm Morey, Id let him now he will play with a top 10 PG, an efficient SG who has a knack for scoring, and one of the best defensive PF in the game to play alongside.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I believe the Nuggets can give him a higher salary and additional year. For example, if they offer 5yrs/$60MM and the next best is 4yrs/$40MM, case closed. The Nuggets have to re-sign Nene to have hope for a decent season.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I say, the League won the lockout, but the Union won the decertification. Everyone was saying they were stupid to go that route and they were going to get killed on the new CBA. Instead, they won a few more concessions. Given the hands each was dealt, I think the Union should be proud of what they were able to protect for their members.

4. cod

cod Member

The Nuggets were supposed to be done after the Melo trade but instead they improved and were good enough to be a playoff team. They already have their young high potential guys in Lawson and Gallo.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I somewhat disagree, if they decertified in July, they would have had more time with leverage and probably gotten a better deal.

DD

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Uh . . . if Melo was a few years older, needed microfracture surgery on his knees (which he unilaterally decided was necessary right before the trade deadline) and otherwise quit on his team (which Melo actually never did . . . on the court), then I defy you to tell me how Denver could have possibly done better than Kevin Martin, a potentially good first rounder, a potentially valuable pick swap and a recent lottery pick in exchange for a broken-down Melo and, say, Ty Lawson.

And spare me the whole "they should have traded him earlier" routine. They were trying to win a championship, however unlikely that was, and having a healthy T-Mac in the playoffs was a far more realistic way to win a title that any other avenue available to the franchise at the time.

7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Bima,

I was not referencing Houston, just that Denver tanking will net them a replacement.

DD

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Okay, fair enough. Although I actually see Denver playing like the 2009-10 Rockets team, overachieving their asses off. Then, in March, they can add Chandler and maybe Martin (on a smaller deal) and then enter 2012 free agency as a potentially desirable destination that could maybe offer two max contracts.

So, in a way, I think Denver may actually follow the Rockets model.

Just my opinion, though.

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Haven't really read much about the details yet, but I understand that sign-and-trades are still possible. That's unfortunate.

1 person likes this.
  10. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

SamAmicoFSO Sam Amico
    NBA playoffs will begin April 28. This year, 29 wins may be enough.

Bad news for Rockets fans who want to tank.

11. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

NBA Playoffs begin on my birthday...

NICE

12. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

HowardBeckNYT Howard Beck
    NBA teams will indeed play two preseason games. Same opponent both games, one in each arena. Pairings TBD, but likely geography-based.

sam_amick Sam Amick
    Per last RT, I had been hearing that a couple Kings-Warriors faceoffs in the preseason were likely. We shall see.

Al_Iannazzone Al Iannazzone
    It will be Nets-Knicks twice. RT @HowardBeckNYT: NBA teams will play 2 preseason games. Same opponent both games, one in each arena.

So, most likely Knicks-Nets, Lakers-Clippers, Kings-Warriors, Bulls-Bucks, Magic-Heat, etc. But that is NOT set yet. Informed speculation

Or, as @KCJHoop notes, Bulls-Pacers.

johnschuhmann John Schuhmann
    Atlantic Div. preseason opponents should be pretty simple: Raps-Celts, Knicks-Nets, Sixers-Wizards

13. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Monroe_SA Mike Monroe
    Likely Spurs-Rockets RT @HowardBeckNYT NBA teams will play 2 preseason games. Same foe both games, one each arena, likely geography-based.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

In the East, sure.

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yeah, figured that, and Mavs vs OKC...

DD

16. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

usat_jzillgitt Jeff Zillgitt
    Attorney for players in antitrust suit v NBA asks judge to stay all proceedings, including NBA's time to respond to suit, through Dec. 9.

usat_jzillgitt Jeff Zillgitt
    Letter informs judge that parties have reached tentative agreement on complaints in Minn. And league's complaint vs. Players in NY.

deepsixer3 Kate Fagan
    Word out of New York is that the "trade association" is looking to begin the recertification process w/ its players as early as tonight.

17. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

SportsLawGuy Gabe Feldman
    'Melo plaintiffs filed letter today informing judge in MN that they have "reached a tentative agreement to resolve their dispute"

18. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

SportsLawGuy Gabe Feldman
    'Melo plaintiffs & NBA will let court know by 12/9 if they have finalized settlement.1 in a series of formalities to get us back to hoops.

19. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

sam_amick Sam Amick
    For anyone wondering about progress of NBA deal being done, lawyers from both sides still working & hope to finalize settlement by Thur.

sam_amick Sam Amick
    The discussion on B-list issues etc. would then begin, with a week to work through it all in time for Dec. 9 start date.

sam_amick Sam Amick
    Ratification/vote would have to happen a the end of that process as well.

20. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

achLowe_SI Zach Lowe
    As @sam_amick and others note, the mechanical steps toward the CBA are happening. Legal settlement could come this week, perhaps late tom.