1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Breaking: NBA Lockout is Over

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ItsMyFault, Nov 26, 2011.

1. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

The more I keep hearing about these new rules, the more these rules favor a GM like Morey!

I Let the games begin!

2. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

I think people in favor of this rule mean it from the perspective that they will be more mature at a basketball level. College basketball helps emphasizes the fundamentals and team play. All NBA players that come in early need that to succeed!

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think it favors GM who can get Super Stars just like the old deal. When morey signs his first super star I will be happy.

4. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well it might not happen now. I hope Woj is wrong.

5. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I am sure that's what their agents, accountants, and business managers tell them.

"Hey buddy, let me take care off the math, you just worry about basketball. Forget education. It's for smucks. Look at me. I am broke."

Then, the players wonder where the money went, after their careers is over and they are in bankruptcy. :grin:

6. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

RicBucher Ric Bucher
    After hearing how NBA owners relented on system points such as escrow/exceptions (link coming), I have to wonder: 3 months wasted for what?

7. Nook

Nook Member

How often have you heard of an 18-19 year old getting hurt in college and not making it in the NBA as a result?

I liked being able to take a risk on an 18-19 year old in the past, but it is better for the NBA to have more established and experienced players that dont take 3-4 years to contribute. Also, people sometimes do not realize that the college game doing well helps the NBA as well, general interest in the game is a major positive.

8. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

BTW, anyone who says America doesn't care about the NBA and lockout. 3 of the top 10 trending topics on twitter are NBA related.

9. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:7281249&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

10. Nook

Nook Member

Zach Randolph?

11. SPF35

SPF35 Member

Here is the problem with this. The players NEED to be educated and more savy. I believe the number was almost 60 percent of players are bankrupt withing 6-8 years of leaving the league. That is blowing MILLIONS and is just sad.
    Another thing, is your assumption that players who attend college become educated. The colleges use them for basketball and revenue. The minimum grades something like Ds and heavily accomodated as in you will see star athletes have papers written for them etc. If a player is a one and done, he just has to take something like 9-12 hours his first semester, he ecan get almost all Ds, then stop going to class in March of the next semester nad plan for the draft. This is not an education. You have to realize that the rules are so bent up and corrupt, that it is not about education in college that most people think it is. It is just a business and basketball, plain and simple. So the ncaa would need to tighten their rules, their schedules. Make it like Ivy league where games are only on weekends. This will make school a priority and make them normal students on oppose to traveling mid week, playing on national tv on tuesdays, basically not traditional students or education at the very least.

So Yes the players need to be educated. No the college system currently doesn't educate them.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

So are you blaming them for holding out or what? Remember, that the owners locked out the players. This wasn't a strike. And breaking even is definitely much better than losing money. But what did you think they should have done?

13. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

gswscribe Marcus Thompson
    The Warriors are not going to amnesty Biedrins. Out of the question

14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Where are all those posters who called the players idiots for not accepting the last deal (pre decert)....because there was no way they could get anything better? And if the owners are indeed agreeing to some system changes then why aren't these same posters blaming them for holding things up when the players agreed to a 50/50 split?

15. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

NYDNDickWeiss Dick Weiss
    reports nba will require players to stay in college 2 years in school before entering the league, not one. includes current freshmen?

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

They were not idiots, but they should have decertified in July, then all of this would have been over in September, and we would be well under way.

I am glad it is over, but there are no winners here.....just losers...the fans.

DD

17. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Staying 2 years in college will definitely help the game be a better product. The emphasis the college game places on teamwork is important on a player's development imo.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

They may not have to stay 2 years in college, they can go straight to the NBDL, and improve that league too.

DD

19. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

AlexKennedyNBA Alex Kennedy
    Agents have been texting and calling general managers since 6 a.m. Expect plenty of free agency rumors over the next few weeks.

20. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'll let the dust settle and a couple of weeks from now I'll go back and see what has changed, but for now, I'm just happy it's over. I had quit keeping up with the proceedings several weeks ago.