1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What I was raised to believe...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ElPigto, Nov 5, 2011.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Sorry Bobrek, I don't mean to disrespect you as a person, and your beliefs are your own, just as mine are as well.

Relgion to me is mythos, made up by man to explain the unexplainable and control the ignorant masses.

But that is my view, not necessarily yours, or others. Everyone is free to believe what they want - and suggest what they want.

You are correct, you think he might be better off seeing a pastor - sounds reasonable to you, as that is what you would do.

To me that sounds completely unreasonable, as a pastor is a biased peddlar of mythos....

Either way, I really meant no disrespect to you as a person - I just do not respect religion at all.

DD

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

If he was disrespectful to your life-long pursuit of collecting miniature porcelain schnauzers would that be so frowned upon in society?

Or would he just burn in a higher rung of hell?

1 person likes this.
  3. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Member

Aw crap, here we go...

[​IMG]

S#!t is going down! I repeat: s#!t is going down! :grin:

4. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Thank you

5. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I just wanted your money to get me some booty.
    [​IMG]

6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

That's pretty much it man. The fact that my grandma would be so disappointed in me is what keeps me in limbo sometimes in regards to my faith. I try to keep it on the low in regards to my beliefs since I don't want to upset her. Honestly, I just want my grandma to catch a break. I've had a tough going in life as well, but at least I'm young and I can go through the motions and kind of figure things out, my grandma on the other hand has lost 4 kids and she lost her husband in the 70's and never remarried.

I love her though and I'll be here for her.

My problem is more with my mom right now. I feel pretty bad that I don't help her out as much as I could, but unfortunately I'm only one person. My sister hates my mom so she doesn't even talk to her. My mom has done so much stupid **** though and it's tough for me to respond as a son sometimes, but you know I'm pretty much all she has and I would feel guilty if she did anything to herself. I just have a hard time balancing things because I still help out my dad and I am the man of the house here at my grandma's. It's one of those situations where I just have a tough time balancing **** out.

7. Jimes

Jimes Member

Thanks for sharing OP. You're doing a noble thing by sticking by and sympathizing with your grandmother. At least you have each other. Keep it up man.

8. Nook

Nook Member

:rolleyes:

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This wasn't needed, DD. You just made sure that this thread gets moved to D&D. Apparently, the mods were hoping to keep it in Hangout. So much for that idea!

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Meh, I got dinged for it.......it was headed to the D&D anyway.

DD

11. ths balla

ths balla Member

..for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

Philippians 4:11(b)-13

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I know the Bible says honor your father and mother, but thats a job occupation... not a title. If she wasn't there for you, you don't owe her a thing.

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

In my opinion,

Not believing in god is not wrong, condemning those who do is.

Believing in a god is not wrong, condemning those who don't is.

Some of the most "Christian-like" people I have known were atheists and some of the most vile people I've known were religious. And vice versa.

It's not what you believe, it's how you believe.

[​IMG]

14. ClutchCityReturns

I get what you're saying, but I also hate to see this concept oversimplified.

While I'm well aware that there are good and bad people from both the religious and non-religious camps, leaving it at that doesn't really paint the whole picture.

I believe that, on average, non-believers tend to be more consistently decent, compassionate, and tolerant, and there's evidence to support that notion. It's certainly held true in my personal life.

(Not intending to attack your post directly...just mini-ranting.)

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

I'm not exactly a biblical scholar, but I think that verse is saying to honor the institution of mother and fatherhood, not to blindly honor your parents no matter what.

If his mother has crapped all over the institution of motherhood, he has no obligation to honor her in any way.

And I agree with Rashmon. Live and let live and quit hassling each other.

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

I take no offense. My point is that it really doesn't matter what you believe if you treat each other right. You don't have to believe in religion to get there, although it can help; and it's not god's fault when people treat each other badly. It's people. Who believe. Stuff.

In my opinion, most religions share the same core belief:

Hinduism: “This is the sum of duty: do not to others what would cause pain if done to you.” (Mahabharata 5:1517)

Judaism: “Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love they neighbour as thyself: I am the Lord.” (Leviticus 19:18)

Zoroastrianism: “Whatsoever is disagreeable to yourself do not do unto others.” (Shayast-na Shayast 13:29)

Buddhism: “ … a state that is not pleasing or delightful to me, how could I inflict that upon another?” (Samyutta Nlkaya v. 353)

Christianity: “And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.” (Luke 6:31)

Islam: “None of you [truly] believes until he wishes for his brother what he wishes for himself.” (Number 13 of Imam Al-Nawawi’s Forty Hadiths)

I could get behind any of that philosphy whether I believe in god or Gumby.

Im not a believer in any religion, but do not call myself an atheist. Those guys are too much like the religious zealots they often scorn.

Now someone else can go cherry pick horrific quotations about slavery, revenge, and whatnot...

17. txppratt

txppratt Member

"Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you."
    — Christopher Hitchens

"I have met some highly intelligent believers, but history has no record to say that he knew or understood the mind of god. Yet this is precisely the qualification which the godly must claim--so modestly and so humbly--to possess. It is time to withdraw our "respect" from such fantastic claims, all of them aimed at the exertion of power over other humans in the real and material world."
    — Christopher Hitchens (The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Non-believer)

"What is it you most dislike? Stupidity, especially in its nastiest forms of racism and superstition."
    — Christopher Hitchens (Hitch-22: A Memoir)

"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid."
    — Christopher Hitchens

"Those of us who write and study history are accustomed to its approximations and ambiguities. This is why we do not take literally the tenth-hand reports of frightened and illiterate peasants who claim to have seen miracles or to have had encounters with messiahs and prophets and redeemers who were, like them, mere humans. And this is also why we will never submit to dictation from those who display a fanatical belief in certainty and revelation."
    — Christopher Hitchens

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Sorry, when I was a child I was kept in line with Ephesians 6:2 "Honor your Father and Mother" which basically meant to me "Do not ever disrespect or say an ill word about your parents".

19. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Member

Love him or hate him, one must admit Hitchens is an absolute artist with words. The world will be sadly silent when he passes.

20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Bobrek,

My sincere apologies.

DD