1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Southland Conference Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by weslinder, Sep 1, 2011.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Y'all should turn on Southland Conference TV (KUBE 57 in Houston), and see the player that's going to be the best in the Southland over the next 3 years. Jeremy Johnson, redshirt freshman quarterback for Lamar, transfer from West Virginia, looks like a man among boys out there.

2. jdh008

jdh008 Member

You know what sucks for the players on these two teams? They have to live in Beaumont, Texas and Conway, Arkansas.

3. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Should have kept him in there because that INT by Bevel was ugly.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The game that likely decides the SLC is tonight. SHSU @ McNeese starts in 10 minutes.

EAT EM UP KATS!

5. weslinder

No kidding. I get why they did it. The offense is completely designed for Bevil, but Johnson is a lot better player.

6. leroy

Sam is likely going to 7-0 (4-0) with a 35-7 lead in the 4th @ McNeese.

7. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Big win for Sam. That team is legit. They have a solid QB in Brian Bell, a stud RB in Tim Flanders and veterans all up and down that defense. The 14 points they allowed to McNeese tonight is the most they have allowed all season with the exception of their win over New Mexico, an FBS (I-A) team.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Seriously, where did this team come from? They were picked by most to finish 4th in the SLC. Now 7-0 with a road win against a I-A school and the closest margin of victory vs an SLC opponent being 3 touchdowns.

New rankings come out later today. We're currently #7. Hopefully we move up with an impressive road win against another ranked opponent.

Can't wait to give Southwest Texas a proper sendoff on 11/19....

9. weslinder

I'm planning on going up to Huntsville Saturday for the game. Maybe Woodard will unleash Johnson, and the Cardinals can play spoiler to the Kats' great season.

10. ima_drummer2k

Bearkats now ranked #6 nationally.

11. leroy

Doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Sam up 42-0 at halftime.

If you leave early, hit up Zach's on the way out. Good food and good beer prices. Right on Sam Houston Blvd as you're heading south.

12. jdh008

jdh008 Member

66-0 final. Lamar's offense had fewer than 100 yards total and the Bearkats were gashing their defense early and often. First play from scrimmage was a 77-yard touchdown pass. The tone was set right then and there.

Their game against Northwestern State on the 12th looms large. NSU looks like the only team with any real shot at derailing Sam's playoff hopes. Other than that game, Sam has winless in conference Southeastern Louisiana and Texas State, which thanks to their impending conference switch, is a non-conference game this year.

13. weslinder

That was the ugliest game above high school level that I've ever been to. Sam Houston dominated Lamar at every position, but was really impressive on the offensive line. I could have rushed for 200 yards on the holes that they were opening up, and Sam's running backs are pretty damn good themselves, especially Flanders. He has great vision and balance. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sam Houston wins a national championship.

14. leroy

15. ima_drummer2k

Sam Houston was racking up points so fast my ESPN phone app couldn't even keep up Saturday. It kept showing the score from last year's game.

Up to #4 and we even got a first place vote this week. At least 1 person gets it.

We really only have one more test on 11/12 against Northwestern State, and that's a home game. The games against Southeastern Louisiana and Southwest Texas should be cakewalks.

Can't wait until the playoffs. That's right....playoffs. I-AA settles things ON the field as it should be! No silly bowl system.

Eat em up Kats

#55 ima_drummer2k, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  16. leroy

I'm going to the game at SWT. I'll be wearing orange and with my brother who's a former SWT player and alum. Should be fun. While it won't matter a bit to our playoff chances, it will be fantastic to send the bobcats off to the FBS with a loss on their turf.

17. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'm glad that the Texas State game is a non-conference game this season. Sam is a far superior team on paper at this point, but the Bobcats are always tough.

18. ima_drummer2k

It would be nice if they were already FBS. That would make 2 FBS teams beaten in the same season. Not sure that's ever been done before.

19. weslinder

I'm pretty sure that McNeese has swept the Louisiana directional schools a few times. I'm not sure whether they've done it since UL-Monroe (formerly Northeastern Louisiana) moved up to FBS or not.

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Coach Fran is inexplicably sticking with an athlete QB who can't throw the ball and is a fumble machine. He threw a pick last week and lost 3 fumbles, 2 in the redzone. Anyway, if Sam can contain the run, the pass is nothing to worry about. It should be a fairly easy victory for the Bearkats.