1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Done: Raiders trade first rounders for Carson Palmer

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by DonkeyMagic, Oct 18, 2011.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Thanks armchairs, thanks again for your useless opinions.

2. Major

Major Member

So you believe that Palmer will lead the Radiers to the playoffs AND win a playoff game, but think it's a bad deal?

3. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

[Unbiased Opinion] Deal works for both sides. Raiders get a solid signal caller. Their receivers aren't the best, but are a far cry from the Ronald Curry days. Palmer will have something to work with. Bengals get more picks to start rebuilding that team under Dalton/Green. [/Unbiased Opinion]

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Have ya'll seen Palmer lately? The dude is fat... JaMarcus Russell level fat.

5. The Drake

The Drake Member

This made me laugh for a handful of reasons.

To echo what FlyerFanatic was saying earlier, it's Palmer's decision-making that really regressed over the past few years. I obviously don't have access to any game tape, but there were lots of times last season where he looked more like a rookie than an 8-year (?) vet. That coupled with the fact that he'll be coming in from nowhere doesn't instill a lot of confidence in me.

Also, I was wondering about Carson's physical condition. Does anyone know if he's been staying in shape?

6. The Drake

The Drake Member

haha is this true? Pics (no rudy), or....

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If you find your quarterback for a few years, it's difficult to equate that, as the most important position by far, to hypothetical draft selections for a couple dozen different options.

Is a potentially solid QB on a good team worth a first-round pick that you'll definitely use on a good QB prospect in the future? debatable. Is he worth a 1st round pick that you might end up using on a cornerback prospect? hell to the yes.

I'm hearing various things about the round of the other pick so not commenting on that.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

My initial reaction was the price was too steep. The Raiders could prove that wrong and it was probably the only package getting the Bengals to budge, but the haul they got for him seems as if they traded the 2005-06 Palmer rather than the one in decline.

Maybe he's not in decline... maybe he'll get it together, but the Raiders paid as if the last few years didn't happen -- no discount given. It may work out for the Raiders, but it was definitely a great trade for the Bengals. Doubt they were ever bringing back Palmer and got two good picks for him.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Again, I think there is a tendency to overvalue a draft pick when nobody knows what that draft pick will be. This could turn into something like the 25th overall pick next year and the 57th in 2013, its hard to say those 2 players acquired with those picks would be greater than adding a quality starting QB to your roster.

I just find it funny because everyone laughed at the Raiders when they traded for Seymour, the pick ended up being 18th and the Patriots took a project LT, and haven't been able to replace Seymour's presence on their front 7. Meanwhile Seymour is still playing at a Pro Bowl level for Oakland.

You guys are overvaluing upside here.

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

[​IMG]

11. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

to me, getting anything for palmer is a win for the bengals. i thought mike brown would never trade him. just like when he turned down picks from WSH for ocho a few years ago. i think the big surprise here, for everyone is, the 1st and potential other 1st the bengals could get. yea, those picks could turn out to not be high first rounders. but they're still first rounders.

palmer wasn't coming back, so getting something for him is a positive. even if the raiders would have given them a 5th and 6th rd pick, its a win. palmer wasn't playing for the bengals again.

which begs to question, how much leverage did the bengals really have? sure the raiders really needed a QB with campbell going down...but two potential first round picks? no question mike brown wanted something that high, but the raiders could have went somewhere else. they could have said how about a 3rd and a 4th...brown says no, how about a 2nd and a 3rd or 4th.

the leverage the raiders had was simple, mike brown had to sit on like 9 mil in cap space to keep carsons contract in place, which isn't good with the cap coming in a couple years. i just think people are caught off guard by how much they were willing to give. hue jackson must have really wanted him, they have a past, we'll see how it goes.

#151 FlyerFanatic, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Yeah I don't have a lot of confidence in the Bengals even after getting those picks, Mike Brown will find a way to screw things up. I get a Don Sterling vibe from that guy.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The question i'm curious about is did that elbow really heal without TJ surgery?

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

What is a Super Bowl appearance worth? This trade vaulted Oakland to contender status.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Pleeeease. Don't even try to compare Richard Seymour, who was an elite player when traded, to Carson Palmer, a player in decline who wasn't even in the NFL last season. The results of the trade will become clear. Don't use a bogus comparison to rationalize. Your best point is to argue the Raiders are pathetic at drafting and wouldn't have done much with the pick anyway.

It's playoffs or bust. If Palmer has 3 good years left, it was a great deal for the Raiders.

16. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

The Raiders grossly overpaid for Palmer. He hasn't been a top 10 QB in a few years. The Raiders might get lucky and win the division by default, but I don't see them as a legitimate contender.

As for the Seymour trade, the Pats weren't going to pay big money for both Seymour and Wilfork. So they got something for him. It's not like the Pats fell off the earth after the trade or the Raiders are on a tear. The Pats still probably had twice as many wins as the Raiders since then.

17. Major

Major Member

Dude threw for 4000 yards last season...

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My bad. It was an ugly 4000 yards but maybe he gave up on the Bengals.

19. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Lmao no.

20. Major

Major Member

Yeah - physically, he seems fine. His stats were similar to what they were 3-4 years ago, and he had the 4th most pass attempts in the league, so he can handle a heavy workload. But he certainly wasn't very efficient - the question I guess that's up in the air is whether it's a result of bad decision making on his part, or just a not-good match between him and the offensive coordinator. We've seen the impact the right coach can have (Alex Smith, Donovan McNabb). If it's the latter, the Raiders may have gotten a top-tier QB. If not, they probably only got a comparable replacement for Campbell.