1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama would like to offer his apologies for Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tallanvor, Oct 12, 2011.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

http://www.investors.com/newsandanalysis/article/587698/201110111529/Apologies-Not-Accepted.aspx?ven=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EditorialRss+%28Editorial+RSS%29

Why? Ignoring the fact that he is wrong to think America has something to apologize for, our relationship with Japan is great. They are one of the few countries who do like us.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why apologize?

This whole apologizing for what people did years ago is bizzare. Screw that it was war, and the US did what it thought was right at the time.

Move on....no need to apologize for others actions, and it would be a slap in the face of all US veterans that fought in that war.

DD

3. DaDakota

You want to apologize for something real, that lead to a big ****ed up Iran?

Apologize for overthrowing their democratically elected government back in 1953 (I think), and installing the Shah.....

A ****ing SECULAR government - and now, we are stuck with a bunch of idiotic Mullah running the good people of Iran into the ground.

THAT is worth apologizing for, not something that happened in a war.

DD

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I've got no problem with it. If Japan preferred we not do it for the reasons outlined above, then I'm fine with that as well.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

More reading comprehension problems. I don't read anything about a leaked cable from the US to Japan offering an apology.

What there is: a Japanese cable saying that the idea of the President visiting and apologizing is a non-starter.

My point is, diplomatically, there could have been several little games going on. We can't castigate (or congratulate) Obama for something that is only inferred from part of one leaked cable originating in another country that may or may not have responded directly to a topic broached by our State Dept.

I know logic is no longer very popular in US America, but we should try it once in a while.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Where are as a nation on Nukes?
    They seem rarely mentioned these days . . . almost like they don't exist anymore

How about Nuclear Power Plants
    do we need more of them

Rocket River

7. DaDakota

So you think Japan made that up? Come on B-bob, a natural extrapolation of said cable would infer that an inquiry was made that lead to Japan answering in that cable.

DD

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Please read again and try harder.

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

such as?

10. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i infer you're the one not using logic. the implication of the cable is quite clear.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Pretty much my reaction. Take a cable completely out of context and then make assumptions about the backstory so you can reproach Obama about what he might have suggested?

Even so, I don't have a problem in principle (depending on execution) with apologizing for the nukes. And that they are friends of ours makes it much easier to say sorry. I can't imagine apologizing to Iran for overthrowing their government except as a back-handed dig at the current government.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Come on B-Bob, you need to jump to your conclusions and blurt out the first ridiculous thing that comes to mind like D-Dak.

None of this "reading the article" "learning japanese kanji" bullsh-t - this is the information age, which means unless you get your extrapolations out there first, you are going to be second, which is a euphemism for FIRST LOSER.

If you can't extrapolate events based off a foaming, wingnut hit-piece based off third hand information translated from japanese, you should go back to cryonic freezing from which you recently emerged.

The natural extrapolation is the one D-Dak made, if you didn't make it you are just unnatural! Probably because you incorporate Audio-Animatronic techonolgies into your biological systems. Which is known and extrapolable from many of your exploits. And btw another extrpolation is that you stole this techonology from the Walt Disney Corporation, which is very very good about protecting its IP. Expect a call from the fuzz soon - try to extrapolate your way out of that one.

1 person likes this.
  13. B-Bob

Yeah, I'm just so tired of the media and both parties playing this particular game:
    (1) Find a phrase or sentence that might light an inflammatory issue/sentiment in viewers/voters.
    (2) Take phrase away from broader context, analysis, and logic.
    (2a) Literally *change* or distort the context if that helps make it worse.
    (3) Present it as a "leading story," as if it is revealing of a deep truth.
    (4) Sell toothpaste or party fundraising, etc.

We're all better than this, or I want us to be.

14. DaDakota

Damned skippy.....

;)

DD

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We need another overseas contingency operation to get us out of the recession.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This isn't "the media", this IBD, a largely irrelevant publication (at least to "Investors" who I can assure you are not reading it "daily") owned & operated by total right wing cranks and now produces wingnut candy for clicks.

17. B-Bob

More ad cryonem attacks, just because I am aging gracefully.

18. esteban

esteban Member

While we are on the apology tour, we need to apologize to the Vietnamese refugees who belong to the once proud Republic of South Vietnam. We abandoned them so we can lie down with the ChiCom bastards. As a result of our betrayal, hundred of thousands of Vietnamese were either imprisioned, killed or lost their lives in the high seas.

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And while we are doing that we can apologize for siding with the brutal South Vietnamese regime that brutalized and killed other vietnamese citizens.

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

At the top of the article is says: IBD EDITORIALS

So right away you know it's not news, it's propaganda.