1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TCU to the Big 12

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ivenovember, Oct 6, 2011.

1. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/32536916

Should be great! Let's see if the Big 12 decides to add a few more schools too.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Nice. TCU takes ATM place and BYU takes Mizzou's place.

3. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Great news. Why doesn't Boise State join a major conference?

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

Ah man I thought my Bobcats had a shot at big 12 ;)

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Happy for TCU, but I think the Big 12 is making a mistake by seceding the Houston market to the SEC.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Right back where they belong.

I don't live in Houston any more but I read the Chronicle quite often. Always seemed to me that the coverage leaned towards UT over the closer A&M. They're on 610 every Saturday. I don't think the SEC now owns Houston by any measure.

That said, I would love for the Big 12 to add UH. Stick at 10 and change the name back to the SWC.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Has one invited them?

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Of course UT games are going to be on the radio here. So are A&M games. And UH games. And Rice games. A&M hasn't even technically left the Big 12 yet, so the impact is not even off the ground. The collective SEC footprint in Houston is about to overtake that of the Big 12. And you're going to see a subsequent shift in the landscape around here over the next few years.

9. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Great news for TCU. Hopefully, they'll add UH as on of the remaining schools as well.

10. rockbox

You're just being biased because nobody cares about UH. Houston is a metropolitan city, and Texas fans aren't just going to care about the SEC because the Aggies are there. The Aggie fans will go, but its not going to change the landscape of the media market down there. Texas is still king down there and that isn't going to change.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nobody wants them.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm not being biased. I'm being honest. You, on the other hand, are showing some pretty flaming bias by making ridiculous unfounded blanket statements like that.

Texas fans don't run this city. There are more SEC and UH alums in Houston than UT grads. Whether UT grads care about the SEC isn't of concern, casual college football fans here are what is of concern, and the SEC just planted a major flag in the Houston area, while the Big 12 has none.

Unless Rice keeps whoring itself out to the Big 12, they will have no presence here. I can't really tell if you're being serious or trolling at this point, but Texas is far from "king" here. And as the years go by, the Big 12's footprint will slowly wash away. This is going to be SEC territory sooner rather than later.

13. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

[​IMG]

14. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Do you have stats to prove this or are you just making it up :eek:

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

From a football standpoint, what institutional representation does the Big 12 have in Houston now? A&M might as well be a suburb of Houston. You lose that and don't replace it with anything, you're making a mistake IMO.

16. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I have to agree with Donny. UT may be King in Texas, but I've noticed that there are an equally large number of UT, A&M, and LSU fans in the Houston area. Now when A&M heads over to the SEC...

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

A&M + LSU/SEC grads undoubtedly outnumber UT.

And UH has more than any school, not surprisingly.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

yeah, i'm not sure how the aggies going to the sec is going to make the huge number of ut alums in houston go bye bye. if a&m gives houston an sec footprint, then ut gives houston one for the big 12.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

that still doesn't erase ut's footprint. i think you are grossly overestimating this.

20. rockbox

I'm specifically talking about ATM and Texas. There is a reason that Texas has a radio affiliate down there and ATM doesn't. ATM going to the SEC doesn't change the football landscape in Houston.

Even Oklahoma has a radio presence down there.

blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2009/09/oklahoma_football_gets_a_houst.phpb