1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Official] Texans @ Saints

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I remember almost a half-dozen bootlegs in week 1, and maybe 2 yesterday.

The Steelers pass rush is a lot different than the Colts, though. So I'm not sure if it will be as effective against them. I'm just having visions of Schaub bootlegging right into a flyin' hawai'ian.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

How about the faith he *did* have in Matt Schaub - 15/25, 266 yds, 1 TD through 3Qs and not a single bad pass to my memory? And how did the 4Q begin? A perfectly-thrown 26-yard TD pass to Casey.

Running more is the smart play, yes - but it's not like he turned the game over to David Carr, circa '06.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yep. Schaub had a bad 4th quarter. I think it wouldn't have mattered if there was a RB in the game who knew how to catch the ball or who understood his job. Only one of those passes from Schaub counted as a drop, but there was another one where Schaub was getting rushed big time and he tried to dump off to Tate but he didn't turn around in time. If the RB releases and isn't block a man, he needs to be ready to catch the ball because he is the only safety valve.

4. Hey Now!

He won't be there if Foster is slicing and dicing for 5-6 yards a carry and busting out 20+-yard runs every now and again. If it's Tate, TP will live in the backfield and might end Schaub's career.

5. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

It makes perfect sense IF we had a top notch defense ...But we dont , I'd rather have those 2 scoring drives in the 2nd half than 4 in the 1st with "This team"....I wouldnt call the drives in the 1st half "failed" attempts... We scored !!! Better than how we started 1st halfs last year.....

6. DonnyMost

:(

I want Arian to put a stiff arm in goldilock's grill.

"PTERODACTYL MOTHER F***ER, DO YOU SPEAK IT?"

7. justtxyank

You'd rather score 2 touchdowns than 4?

[​IMG]

8. Hey Now!

Bingo! You and DD, both nailed it, IMO. Execution killed them. Great teams - great players - make plays. I think there's absolutely room to worry about Schaub performing in the spotlight. He certainly misses Foster but... I mean, he almost threw 3 picks in the 4Q.

9. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

LOL... I guess not huh?

10. DonnyMost

He had a bad 4th quarter, no doubt about it, but the body of work for Schaub in crunch time paints a much different picture. Haters just love to seize on these particular instances since it's one of the few times he's ever really crapped the bed. Meanwhile, they ignore the dozen other times he's pulled our butts from the fire. Selective memory at its finest, and lazy football analysis at its worst. He's not Peyton Manning, but if that is what we're relying on to win, then we've built a pretty crappy football team.

11. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

What Im implying is that ..... It made sense before I typed it.....

1 person likes this.
  12. justtxyank

The only thing that drives me crazy about hating on Schaub is that it isn't like we can get someone better. He is what he is. Better than average QB. You aren't going to get Peyton, Brady, Roth, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, etc. Stop acting like you can't win with Schaub. You can. (Not YOU specifically Ric, "you" in general)

Kubiak though makes a mistake in that he doesn't accept the limitations/strengths of his team. This is a mistake that cost both he and Shanagenius for years once they didn't have Elway. Hubris.

13. justtxyank

I know what you meant it just cracked me up the way you wrote it. :)

14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I finally will take my dollar for my siggy...LOL

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I want to see him do it against good teams, on the road, because that is what he will have to do in the playoffs.

My biggest beef with him is that he has all the talent but just nuts up for some reason, in the red zone yesterday in the first half, he threw off his back foot at least 3 or 4 times when he was not even pressured....wtf was that?

He certainly needs Foster, a release valve, agree with those that say maybe Casey should see more time late when teams are stacking the box with 8, but Schaub still had time to make it happen, and he nutted it up.

Even that late TD was off his back foot, and nearly intercepted.

He is a conundrum for me, sometimes he looks all world, sometimes he gets rattled......we need less of the getting rattled Matt....

AJ was pretty much shut out in the 4th quarter, and they were single covering him when they stacked the box......if you are going to throw, do it on FIRST down.....and that is on Kubiak.....

DD

16. DonnyMost

Exactly.

Kubiak is a QB at heart, he runs this offense like he has John Elway back there.

It is a recurring problem. Schaub is as good as he's going to get, and it's clear that we're going nowhere without a defense that can create turnovers and a running game that can ice the game. But that's no reason to hate on Matt, every winning QB in history has had to have those things, except for a very select few (Brady, Manning, etc). If we expect him to be those guys, we're bound for disappointment.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I know. . I am obvious but
    at this point . . I am putting alot of failings on Kubiak

He *HAS* to know his teams limitations
    and coach around them.

You have to cash in some of those RedZone attempts
    not put Schaub in position to throw interceptions [or less chance]
    Seriously. 1 sustained long drive in the 4th and the game
    could have been over . .. .

Opportunities were there. This game was winnable

Rocket River

18. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

How do we have so much talent... but nothing to show for it. This is a coaching problem.. not sure by who but we should never give up over @20+ pnts in a qtr. (esp 4th) When we were up at half... you could see the writing on the wall.

Now I have to hear it from all the stupid saints fans in the office and how they couldn't stop the Saints. I can only put up with defending the Texans for so long.... before I have to smack a b****.

Arian.. please save us.

19. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

This is my problem with him... Ive said it over and over again... But the b****azzness is startin to rear its ugly head when I see Schaub faced with adversity lately... He doesnt have a strong enough arm to throw off his back foot nor does he have the arm strength to force throws to Andre...But I would take him over any of the other QBs in the AFC except Big Ben, Rivers, Manning, and Brady ...

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Kubiak should be aware of Matt's strengths and his weaknesses, and should be game planning for them.......

Sometimes he just calls plays that would require an athletic QB, or one with better arm strength and balance, and it leaves me shaking my head.

Play to your QB's strengths and mask his weaknesses.....

DD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.