1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

VY, the GREAT

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by thegary, Dec 1, 2006.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

We do already, we just don't invite those that run their mouth in Houston.

:)

DD

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Michael Vick was that, and 2 years ago was a 3rd string QB, and there were a lot of people saying he would never QB in the NFL again. Last year he was a backup.

Young has played well the past couple of years, but between injury and immaturity, he can't stay on the field. VY was never going to revolutionize the QB position. Running athletic QBs have been in the league for many years. Only blind people thought he would develop into a great passer (not saying there weren't some of those people on this board). I think VY is worthy of starting in the NFL (I'd take him over McCown, McNabb, Jackson, Grossman, Collins), but he needs help. He can't make people into stars like Peyton Manning can.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

You and running...

Right.

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Everybody kept saying be can turn people into stars. He could make them football gods. That's all I ever heard.

Everyone's ass hurt with the texans for the wrong damn reason.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Damn, Kam bringing the wood.

6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Set shot...lol, but you can just call me daddy !

I have seen the vids, I ain't scared......

;)

DD

7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Ah, yes, from all those broken backboards from his jumpers beyond 4 feet....

DD

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You ever heard of faint praise? LOL! Not helping your case. VY is mediocre at best. Vick has franchise QB talent that leaves Vince in the dust. They should not be compared.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry, you may have missed several times when I crossed into the sacred force field that's Harris County.

I hope some people actually read the impersonator article, cause I found it pretty funny. Plus you must be a sucker to think that dude looks like him.

This isn't Robert Horry and Will Smith.

10. juicystream

How doesn't that help my case? I called him a legitimate starting QB. I didn't call him a top 10 QB.

Starting NFL caliber QB means being one of the best 32. He is that. I picked a group of guys I would without question start him over. I'd also start him over McCoy, Dalton, and Smith. There are a large number of guys I would debate about. Without having a full list, I'd probably place him about 20th.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Since you admit Vince is a below average starting QB, I'm good with that. You haven't overdosed. Just leave Vick out of it because Vince has no chance of reaching that level.

12. juicystream

That point is don't write-off the guy just because he isn't starting anymore. Vick is faster, quicker, and throws a prettier ball than Young. Young is physically stronger, but that is about it. For Vick's positives, his accuracy in ATL was terrible. Then it magically changed in Philly after being away from the game for a couple of years.

If he ever lives up to his potential, he will be what Steve McNair was.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

With that hairline, he should have been impersonating LeBron.

15. SacTown

SacTown Member

Tinman is out of control.

16. liljojo

liljojo Member

I don't think VY is starting QB material. In terms of on the field talent, he's clearly better than the players you named. The problem is, VY just doesn't have the emotional stability to be kind of leader the position demands him to be. There's so much pressure and responsibility that comes with being an NFL QB, and Vince has repeatedly shown that he just isn't able to handle it.

Maybe that can change with Vick and Reid helping him along. I sure hope so. But as for right now, I'd take McCoy or Grossman over VY.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Impersonator looks more like Mario.

But I'm terrible with "looks like"s.

18. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

yes, vince is 28 years old with a career 75.7 qb rating and a 62% career winning percentage. when vick was 28 he had a career 75.9 qb rating and a 57.5% winning percentage (and was in jail). how could they be compared? luckily for vick, he only ran a dog killing ring and didn't commit the unforgivable sin of not getting along with jeff fisher.

vince certainly isn't the greatest quarterback in the nfl, but i'm not sure when vick spent his whole caeer displaying unreal talent. sure, his ceiling has always been high, but he's rarely ever stayed at that level for any length of time before his return from prison.

as for comments (by whoever) about vince not being a starting caliber qb. he's won 62% of his games and his qb rating has gone up every year of his career, culminating in a 98.6 rating last year. i'm not sure how that isn't starting caliber.

and it's not like he won 62% of his games with some juggernaut titans team. and whatever problems he's had off the fields/behind the scenes, on the field it's hard to argue he should not hate jeff fisher, who basically did everything he could to not play vince and put in kerry collins, no matter the W/L results.

i mean, you would think jeff fisher would love vince young for getting him about 4 extra years of paychecks, but apparently not. vince's rookie year, the titans are coming off an awful season and are off to an 0-3 start and fisher is on the hot seat. vince is made the starter of that trainwreck and somehow finishes the season 8-5 (8-3 after losing the first 2), despite a defense that i believe gave up the most yards in the league. and fisher's job is saved. then vince goes 10-6 and makes the playoffs the next season. then the following year he gets hurt in the first game and fisher wally pipp's him and lets collins start the rest of the season, never considering letting vince off the bench.

alright, maybe fisher saw that defense he had with haynesworth and wanted the steady, mediocre veteran instead of letting his young qb progress. whatever. but after that, he pretty much lost all credibility. the next season starts and the titans go 0-1, then 0-2, then 0-3, then 0-4, then 0-5. kerry collins has awful stats and the team sucks but can vince even sniff playing time? of course not. then, after the titans go to 0-6 with a 59-0 shellacking from the patriots, vince is finally made the starter. does he just finish out the season squeaking out a few wins for a 2-14 team? does he turn things around a little and knock out 4 wins? a great turnaround with a 6-4 finish? no, he goes an absurd 8-2 to finish the season.

4 years into vince's career. he's not only been the starting qb on a team that started 0-5 and finsihed 8-8, which i have to imagine is pretty rare, he's done it twice! and both times his being named the starter was the catalyst for the turnaround. that's incredible. oh yeah, and he also probably kept jeff fisher from getting fired again. so the next season starts, the titans win the first game handily and vince has a great game.

so he's 9-2 in his last 11 starts and is coming off a great game. he should have built up some faith in jeff fisher by now, right? i mean kerry collins had a nice season and he got 6 horrific games before being benched. well, against maybe the best defense in the league, the steelers, vince throws a couple of picks and is quickly benched for kerry collins. so kerry collins gets 6 horrible games. vince gets one bad half after 11 good games. considering a 19-3 comeback against the steelers is pretty unlikely no matter who is the qb, and considering the last time kerry collins played he was driving your franchise into the ground, it's amazing how quickly fisher regained that faith in collins and decided to undermine his starting qb and create a qb controversy. great job there.

vince goes on to have a 98 qb rating, but small injuries knock him out of several games, all of which the titans lose i believe (may have won 1). then vince gets hurt in another game but wants to go back in and is of course shot down by fisher, who is going to stick with collins and an L come hell or high water. and he gets his L. and a fed up vince does what he shouldn't have done (but what was understandable) and gives up on fisher ever trusting him. fisher kicks him off the team just like he wants and is finally free to not play vince. what happens the next week? the titans are shutout. and which powerhouse D did the shutting down? why, that dominant texans' defense of last year. and the titans finish the year on a nice 1-5 slide and fisher is fired. but at least it was a vince-free 1-5 slide and ensuing pink slip, and really that's all jeff fisher ever wanted.

so we've got vince being on the titans for 5 years. and when vince played they were 31-19 and when he didn't they were 14-18 (playoff games included). a fact made even more incredible when you consider that when the titans had their best team during that stretch, vince was replaced for the whole season to allow someone else to get those W's. and when they had inarguably their 2 worst teams, fisher put vince into those situations where he should have presumably racked up a bunch of losses, but instead went 16-7. in fact, in the 3 seasons where a qb change occurred during the season, the titans were 20-12 with vince starting. without vince? 2-14. and vince's reward for saving fisher's job twice? being kicked off the team. yes, what a character flaw to not trust him.

so say what you want about vince, he may not be the best qb in the league or even top 10. but he has certainly put up starter quality qb rating's his last few years and his winning percentage is well above starter quality, especially given the teams he was being asked to lead. and there doesn't seem to be much reason that he shouldn't be given another chance by a team that actually wants a decent qb who wins games.

2 people like this.
  19. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

LOL, I guess capitalization isn't taught at UT.

20. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Neither is tense. Ever heard VY talk?