1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Boxing] Confirmed - Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs Victor Ortiz Sept 17th.

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Evil Empire, Jun 7, 2011.

1. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

My issue isn't about what Mayweather did was legal or not, it's what the hell was the referee doing. If time was in, why was he fully involved in talking to someone outside of the ring during a time when the boxers are supposed to be fighting each other? Is that standard practice in boxing? (I'm only a casual boxing fan)

2. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Wow... that was as fixed as they come!

• There was no reason for Ortiz to do a headbutt. He had Mayweather in the corner. Nobody in their right mind would have done that.
    • Mayweather with the obvious cheap shots... Ref not even looking...
    • Ortiz looked like he still could have got up, but didn't bother trying?
    • Post-fight interviews were despicable. Mayweather doesn't own up, but instead just gets mad. Ortiz isn't as pissed as he should have been if that were legit.

Bull****

3. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

All in all, this was a win for boxing, the more people talk about this being a "controversial win". The more publicity they get. I personally, think that Pac Man and Mayweather won't fight until over a year from now, because that's all boxing has right now, after they finally go at it. That's it.

Also, I didn't think it was all staged until Floyd's "tantrum" with the announcer, and stating "if he wants a rematch he can get it". But, still I have no idea.

4. showtang043

showtang043 Member

anyone got video?

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Like Ortiz, the ref's head clearly wasn't in the match also. I do feel bad for the fans who paid for the fight. HBO should refund 50% of the dues.

6. SacTown

SacTown Member

Mayweather was dominating and toying with Ortiz the entire 4 rounds and Ortiz got frustrated and went with the head butt. No different than Tyson biting an ear when he realized he couldn't win. And then bam bam KARMA hit him. Ortiz got owned.

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

jesus, you people talking about it being staged...

if floyd agrees to take a skulling to the face, and ortiz agrees to take 2 vicious, unprotected mayweather haymakers to the face, then i salute the two of the for agreeing to the most dangerous rigging of a fight in history.

8. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

9. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

I don't even know how I can trust anything that happened in that fight. It seems clear that there was a fix. So who cares if Mayweather was leading the fight? Who cares what Cortez was doing? Both fighters look like they were in on it, so the entire match was just a show. Might as well have been watching WWE.

10. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Mayweather made a minimum of $25 million for his first fight in 16 months, a sum that will likely go up as the pay-per-view receipts are totaled. He could make even more against Manny Pacquiao next May should Pacquiao win his November fight with Juan Manuel Marquez and the two finally agree to fight.

Mayweather remained unbeaten in 42 fights, scoring the knockout he had predicted. Ortiz, who lost his 147-pound title, fell to 29-3-2.

Trust me, Floyd and Pac will fight. Too much cash, and legacy at stake.

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

yeah, he was winning the fight fair and square, thus, justifying the hate for mayweather. was that **** really necessary?

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

absolutely NOTHING even close to wrong with that besides opponent whining. mayweather had 2 hands up, and his opponent put 1 up (for no reason. trying to act slick).

13. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jD15cR4ke4w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ref said "Let's Go", then dropped his arm, and then looked toward the side telling the guys to "ring the bell."

Nothing illegal or controversial about it, to me.

14. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

15. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Give me 25 million and I'll let someone head butt me in the face. Give me a couple of million and I'll also let a 41-0 boxer punch me square in the face several times. Give me probably just a million and I'll also pretend to have a conversation with a phantom audience member while I let it all happen.

1 person likes this.
  16. VanityHalfBlack

In the rule of boxing, when a foul hit has been committed, what is the refs duty??? Does he break it up and examine the fighter to see if he can continue and for how long does he do it within a 3 min round??? How do we know when the fight can resume??? Is that the Refs job to confirm that?? In the reply it didn't look like the REF said anything to continue the fight after the headbutt by Ortiz...

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

why would you get 25 million and let somebody smash you in your face with their skull, when you can get the same 25 million without having to let somebody do that?

18. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

The ref called timeout, broke up the fight, and then said time in after applying the penalty for the headbutt. They both hugged and Mayweather went to work. Completely legal.

19. rocketsmetalspd

What? He did no such thing. On this night boxing = WWE :grin:

20. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Because if you fix the fight, you guarantee the win and you keep your "legacy".