1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Business - My Chances?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pringles, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Pringles

Pringles Member

I'm not gonna bore ya'll with my story. I'll make this short and concise; I just want to know my chances of getting in to UT Business.

I'm a senior at Memorial.
    Have not taken the ACT.
    2170 on my SAT.
    6-7% Class Rank

Few Community Service Hours
    I have been working and still work since my sophmore year. Part time during school year, full time during summer.

I know for sure I can't get into the Honors because of my ranking (must be top 2%), and I know I can get into UT for any major that is not Business, Architecture, and Engineering because of my ranking.

Should I expect to get in? I know I can apply as undecided and change my major to business after a year, but I rather not if I don't got to.

1 person likes this.
  2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

They literally just look at GPA and SAT unless things changed recently.

If you get in great if you dont who cares just do somewhat decent your first year and you'll get in through transfer. (Transferring is just based on your 1st year GPA) But from the looks of it I'd bet you get in.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

If you don't get into UT Business right away, take one semester of easy classes like say Sociology or African studies. Maintain a 4.0 GPA and then transfer into the B-school. That is what a lot of my friends did when I went to school. Granted this was a while back, so not sure if you can still rig the system this way. They used to have automatic internal transfer available if you met an 3.8 GPA when I was there.

1 person likes this.
  4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Heck, they used to look at SAT and class rank: I wasn't sure if public school GPAs were standardized across the state, we had a 5.0 scale for regular classes and 6.0 scale for honors, and football recruits in local news articles had a 4.0 scale. Those rank/SAT charts back in mid-'90s made state school aps a lot easier.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Anybody want to give him any comparable undergrad business schools to look at if UT doesn't work out, maybe A&M, SMU, Rice, Baylor? I'm just trying to think of which ones would have best on campus recruiting for internships and entry level work.

1 person likes this.
  6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

^^^ I don't know about other schools but the Hankamer School of Business (Baylor) is ranked 52nd in the nation. Coincidentally, the MBA program is ranked the same while the executive MBA program in Dallas/Austin is ranked best in the state at salary increase and career progress.

It also depends on the major. The accounting program is ranked seventh in the nation and the entrepreneurship program is second. I was pre-med for a couple of years so I thought the classes were a piece of cake comparatively, even though it's basically a top tier school.

You can always transfer into the UT business school like someone mentioned. I would have gone there for sure if I wasnt pre-med initially.

#6 sammy, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Youll get it don't sweat it bro. Devry is harder to get in.

8. gatsby

gatsby Member

Hey Go_Korea,

I'm going to be entirely honest: highly unlike.

I've been in your situation. I went to The Woodlands High School, where I graduated in the top 5%, founded a company, and was selected as the top overall student at TWHS. I didn't get into McCombs. Belief that a mistake was made, numerous well-respected individuals appealed on my behalf, but I was still denied. Eventually, I went to UT to study advertising (#1 in the nation), and that's where I stayed.

McCombs is a great college full of knowledgeable professors and individuals who are very helpful. In fact, I frequently guest lecture and advise students there (http://texasenterprise.org/profile/tristan-mace). But McCombs isn't everything at UT, and you don't have to necessarily be in the college to be successful in business. The school is very heavily focused on GPA and class rank to get in. While both of your yours are great on the macro-level, both are well outside of their cutoff range.

UT has so many incredible schools and disciplines. You'll end up where you're meant to be. If you don't get into McCombs originally, take your first year pursuing your other major. At the end of your second semester, if you're still interested in business, then apply for an internal transfer into the college. You'll need roughly a 3.6.

I wish you the best of luck, but just know, you make your success regardless of what school or major you end up in.

Best,
    Tristan

1 person likes this.
  9. gatsby

gatsby Member

You'll find most private schools don't have undergraduate business schools. They typically require economics and then an MBA later. This is the case at Rice, where you major in something such as economics and then pursue a masters later.

A&M's Mays is decent. SMU's Cox is great. I don't hear too much about Baylor's school, Hankamer. If I were to rate the various Texas schools on undergraduate business (excluding Rice because it doesn't have it), here's my list:

1. McCombs (Texas)
    2. Cox (SMU)
    3. Mays (A&M)
    4. Hankamer (Baylor)

10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am weirded out by your usage of a valediction on the BBS.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I think they're all great. You shouldn't have a problem in finding a job esp in Houston if you're an accounting, finance or business administration major. Notice that I said shouldn't. Entry level positions are harder to come by these days. A legit recruiting company is the way to go.

12. gatsby

gatsby Member

Haha I understand. Simultaneously, I'm telling a kid that he probably won't get into a school he's potentially dreamed about or worked really hard for. I didn't want to sound impersonal. ;)

13. arjun

arjun Member

in the end, it really just matters where u get your mba from

14. Pringles

Pringles Member

Geeimsobored and Mr. Brightside - Thanks for the transfer suggestion. I figured I may have to do that if I want to get into the damn business program. I wouldn't mind doing that, just a little let down cause of my ego. :)

Pouhe - I wish I was interested in the other schools, but honestly, I can't see myself going anywhere but UT or UH. Possibly Rice, but I want to enjoy my college life per say...

Sammy - I never knew their entrepreneurship was ranked so high; that would be the major I'd prefer, but wouldn't mind any other business majors. That is, if I get into it.

Tristan - Wow. Your story is really surprising and kinda inspiring. If you don't mind me asking, what year did you graduate high school (Looking at your little bio, I'm assuming 3-4 years ago?) and what was your SAT/ACT scores?

I kinda expected my chances to be slim so don't worry. You didn't break my heart or nothing. I haven't really dreamed of going to UT, just this past year. I really didn't give a **** my freshman and sophmore year - I was more into drugs/alcohol. (Looking back, I should have definitely tried harder - even though I've only made 2 B's so far in all AP classes) Was there anybody in your graduating class that went to UT Business; your resume sounds like it would have been hard to beat.

Arjun - I don't plan on getting my MBA. Of course I may change my mind as I learn and know more about the pros and cons about getting a MBA, but as of now I plan not to. I have my reasons, and yeah, the reasons could be dumb. Who knows

So it seems like I may have to do the transfer method after all if I still want to do business after a year. Bummer. :eek:

Oh and also, Memorial has a 6.0 (You get a 7 for an A in AP classes) GPA scale. Don't ask me why... maybe we want to be special or something. My graduating class is very competitive. Two B's in all advanced class, you're out of the top 5%.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The thing I remember about Rice, though, was that a Poli Sci, Math, Econ or especially Econometrics major with a 3.5 or 4.0 probably got more or better pure finance opportunities. All those Houston-area boutique investment banks and even the entry-level Trust Administrator, Research Analyst, Energy Trading or Big 4 non-audit/consulting gigs were as heavily staffed by Rice kids as anyone else. Also, even though they don't have full bore undergraduate business programs, sometimes they offer basic business core; especially the intro finance stuff since that's essentially econ stuff anyways.

16. gatsby

gatsby Member

Oh, I completely agree. The education you will receive at Rice is a testament of why so many go into business even with only an undergraduate degree. Rice is a phenomenal school in Texas.

17. gatsby

gatsby Member

If you specifically want to do entrepreneurship, provided that the finances are possible (which I understand is a very important discussion even more so nowadays) TCU Neeley Entrepreneurship Program is your school. Just ranked #1 in the nation (http://neeley.tcu.edu/News_and_Even...urship_Program_Named_Best_in_the_Country.aspx).

I graduated in 2008; I'm currently a senior at UT now, although I am doing independent study of public relations, so I do classes remotely. I don't recall exactly my SAT or ACT....SAT I want to say around 2000 and ACT was a 33.

A few people I knew at The Woodlands did get into business; all were ranked higher than me. I had some discussions with the dean of McCombs and learned that legally (due to Texas Legislature agreements {because UT is public}) that their entry is entirely based on GPA and subsequently class rank.

There are other great schools in Texas for business, but I think it's worth evaluating what is important to you. If you do end up coming to UT for good or for a visit, definitely shoot me an email (tristanmace@tristanmace.com) and I'll try to fly in for it.

Good luck.

18. Yak

Yak Member

I was in the top 3% of my class 2 years ago and didn't get in as a freshman, but got a 4.0 my first year at UT and just transferred in.

But they look at rank and rank only UNLESS you're outside of the top 10%, and I don't think 6-7% will cut it.

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I go to mccombs currently and I think you have a good shot at getting in. If not, getting in as a transfer will be pretty easy.

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think you mean African American Studies; as in Black or Actually Black Studies. As in "did you know Socrates and all of the Pharaohs of Egypt were..."