1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DRose: "There's no doubt that I will win multiple championships."

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by t_mac1, Aug 21, 2011.

Tags:
  1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Um, yeah, Marbury doomed his career because of what he said out loud, not because he had an incredibly sorry attitude and maturity problems.

Comparing Derrick Rose to Stephon Marbury. I've heard it all now.

2. lalala902102001

Rose is still way more humbler than you-know-who.

Sorry can't resist. :grin:

3. showtang043

showtang043 Member

Yea there is a big difference between trying to build hype and kind of being the popular celebrity dancing around a stage saying, not one, not two...etc in such a dramatic fashion to get a reaction and another guy in an interview saying he is not satisfied and he is committed and truly believes he will win multiples and basically just stating his goals and that he believes he will reach them. The presentation is crucial here, just like theres nothign wrong with players switching teams, but lebron's presentation and the way he went about is why so many consider him classless looking for more lights

4. meshflesh

meshflesh Member

hmm thats not a bad comparison. marbury in his prime could easily give derrick rose a run for his money. people forget how good thiss man was. attitude aside

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

No he wouldn't. Marbury was good, but at his best, he could never score like Derrick Rose.

However, DRose did put up one of the ugliest playoff runs of all time for a superstar.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

This Rose was the same guy who was in a deep depression after he got obliterated by the Heat and after LeBron took some shots at him. If I were a Bulls homer I wouldn't want Rose to be depressed, I'd rather him be a conceited *******. Guess what Jordan was... a conceited ******* who cared only about himself and his legacy.

7. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

You can be supremely confident and humble at the same time. They're not mutually exclusive. In fact, I'd bet most athletes who have won multiple championships did not say anything like this before they began winning them.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Career #s

Rose - 240 games played @ 37.1 mpg

20.9 pts on 17.3 fga/game and .468/.309/.815 with a 19.4 PER and .535 TS% and .488 eFG%

Single season best 25.0 ppg

Marbury - 846 games played @ 37.7 mpg

19.4 pts on 15.7 fga/game and .433/.325/.784 with a 18.7 PER and .528 TS% and .470 eFG%

Single season best 23.9 ppg

Seem like pretty close numbers to be able to definitively say that one was vastly superior offensively than the other. No doubt Rose SHOULD have better years ahead of him, but there are no guarantees. Also can't forget that these numbers take into account all of Marbury's less effective years towards the end of his career.

Like he said, Marbury was pretty damn good and I certainly agree at the very least Marbury would be able to hold his own against Rose.

9. LANIMIRC

LANIMIRC Member

Bulls need another scorer so Rose doesn't take 30 shots a game like he did in the playoffs.

10. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

David Stern had already sent him the E-Mail.

11. The Situation

The Situation Member

They need half man - half season

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. t_mac1

Last year was Rose's FIRST YEAR as a superstar, just FYI.

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I thought Durant of last year did just as bad

He shot like 35% from the field or something and 20something% from three.

14. manlisten

manlisten Member

Since when is expecting success = not being humble? It seems like the modern day version of "humility" is "don't threaten me with your confidence that comes from dedication and countless hours of hard work". In your eyes, how should he have expressed his goals is a more "humble" way?

Do you really think Kobe never said to himself "I'm going to get more rings than MJ....**** the Hornets". I would bet most athletes that won 1 championship let alone multiple have said to themselves (at some point in the season, most likely the Finals) "I WILL WIN"! Yes you can be supremely confident and humble at the same time, but you cannot have confidence and low expectations both at once anymore than you can be happy and depressed at the same time.

Exactly! There was an article in SI a while back about both Adam Morrison and JJ Reddick....guess which one was satisfied just to make it to the league and which one felt like he had more to accomplish?

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Yea, thought I cleared that up in my first post:

A few other things to consider

Career Best:

Rose
    Ortg: 113
    Offensive Win Share: 8.4

Marbury
    Ortg: 118
    Offensive Win Share: 10.4

Career Total:

Rose
    Ast%: 32.6
    Usg%: 27.3

Marbury
    Ast%: 36.1
    Usg%: 25.4

Again I don't believe that this is the best we have seen of Rose, but history has proven time and time again to our fanbase especially that you can't just extrapolate progression in the future as a certainty. There are no guarantees of what kind of luck with health and probably more importantly surrounding teammates to continue to maximize his strengths on the court.

Like a few others have said, and I agree, they need another go to scorer. It could certainly help improve his offensive efficiency numbers which would go a long way in making your statement that "even at his best Marbury could never score like Rose" a correct one.

I know after a certain amount a years in can be hard to remember just how talented some players were, but Marbury was once considered pretty damn talented. All I am saying is the comparison up to this point, statistically speaking, is fairly close.

16. t_mac1

If you're talking about a streetball 1-on-1 game, you might be right.

But if that's the case, then Ben Wallace wouldn't be picked in a pick up game.

So you're telling me Marbury in his prime could go at McGrady also as McGrady never had an offensive rating more than 116? He was also a high usage and low ast rate player.

This is where advanced stats are HIGHLY misleading (as I can easily point out that his best ORT was from his years with the freakin' Knicks, where it was all offense and no defense)

Rose got his stats by being the best player on the best team in the regular season. Those are facts. Getting your stats on a great team is so much harder than getting your stats on a bad team, as Marbury repeatedly does (or anyone with good talent can do-and 90% of the NBA players have very good talent).

So no, statistically they aren't close. If Rose was put on those bad teams, he put up way better stats.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What is consistently missed on Marbury is just how unselfish and court savy he was. In his prime, he was a rich man's Chauncey Billups.

Derrick Rose has a lot to learn, as does Russell Westbrook. Two new age PG's that have a tendency to freeze out their teammates.

(I would love to see what a prime Marbury would do with Carlos Boozer/Joakim Noah/Luol Deng/Tibbs)

Marbury certainly paced the game better, and although he was an idiot off the court, he played with more discipline and savy than I have seen from Rose thus far.

1 person likes this.
  18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My point was not primarily about humility, it was about sincerity. I don't think Rose really meant it -- I think he said it because that's the sort of thing he thinks he is supposed to say. It's not arrogance, it's a false arrogance.

19. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Agreed. Marbury like Vince Carter and many others is a victim of the "we hate you're attitude and you aren't good anymore so we'll just act like you always sucked" culture. Marbury was a victim of his own hype, a good player that could never live up to what he or his teams thought he was.

Rose is probably better but not close to the level Lebron, Wade, and Kobe have reached in their careers.

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I'm not talking about streetball.
    I'm not talking about TMac.

I'm strictly talking about the offensive comparison of Derrick Rose and Stephon Marbury in the NBA.

Do I give a slight edge to Rose in terms of strictly putting the ball in the basket? Yea, I think so, but nothing so far from Rose has shown me that he is in another world offensively when compared to Marbury.

It's not my fault that you seem to be too young to really remember how talented Marbury actually was. The reason I bring up all the stats is because I don't expect you to just take my word on the subject anymore than you should expect me to just take yours as good enough proof that one is better than the other. Your opinion is your opinion but so far the straight statistical facts on the offensive side of the ball point to two similar contributors.

1 person likes this.