1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Create the Best 5 Man "TEAM!" of All Time

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mrjohn, Aug 10, 2011.

1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Wilkins was an average defender.

Magic, Bird, and Jordan seemed to mesh pretty well on the Dream Team. In any case, Jordan will get his touches. At some point, your defense will have to make adjustments for Magic (i.e. putting Durant on Magic, Ray Allen on Bird, and Kidd on Jordan), and that will open the game up for everyone else.

2. hotdamn

hotdamn Member

This one is it!

3. supdudes

supdudes Member

Kobe
    Iverson
    Shaq
    Wilt
    Chuck Norris's Index Finger

4. Bball_Gill

Bball_Gill Member

1) Oscar
    2) Michael
    3) Larry
    4) Dream
    5) Kareem

5. 3814

3814 Member

I created two teams that would be near-equals:

Team 1
    PG - Magic
    SG - Jordan
    SF - Lebron
    PF - Duncan
    C - Shaq

Focus = size, strength, and defense.

Team 2
    PG - Nash
    SG - Kobe
    SF - Bird
    PF - Dirk
    C - Hakeem

Focus = passing, shooting, and heart.

6. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

Thomas
    Jordan
    Bird
    Moses Malone
    Hakeem

7. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

8. jvu

jvu Member

Magic
    Jordan
    Bird
    Hakeem
    Shaqnasty

Those were the best years......

9. pge71188

pge71188 Member

Twill
    Jordan
    Dirk
    Hakeem
    Shaq

10. Badrose

Badrose Member

Payton
    Jordan
    Pippen
    Malone
    Olajuwon

11. AFS

AFS Member

Both teams would be fine offensively, but the first team's defense would win out. Nash especially would just get straight-up manhandled.

12. AFS

AFS Member

Sorry, I meant to say that the lack of defense on the second team would put them at a relatively large disadvantage.

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

Team you say?

The only two correct answers are:

Magic
    Bird

After that, we're arguing about who would fit best with those two.

I'd say...

Dream

Best two-way center. He can anchor the defense allowing the wings to jump passing lanes and fast break. He demands the double team in the post and with Magic and Bird as passers, any kick-out will quickly find the open man for a great shot.

Barkley

I don't like Duncan on these types of teams because he's primarily a low post player and would take that territory away from a center... and at least 6 of them are better than Duncan. Also, KG is too much of a dick to be on a team like this. And then there's Karla who I wouldn't tab for my Thursday night Rec pick-up games. So, that leaves me with Barkley who would be allowed to focus on rebounding and would wreck shop next to Magic on the break.

For the last position, the obvious answer is Jordan. But would prime Jordan be able to play team ball with these guys? I'm thinking not, but it's a gamble worth taking, so Jordan it is.

Magic
    Jordan
    Bird
    Barkley
    Dream

14. nyu3

nyu3 Member

Only picking players who have played since mid 80s.
    PG: Stockton
    SG: MJ
    SF: Bird
    PF: KG
    C: Hakeem

Justification: Great all around defense (Bird is a smart defender, and Stockton is dirty but effective). Clutch as hell. Stockton and Bird are very good playmakers and shooters. I picked KG to pick and roll with Stockton and to spread the floor a bit more.

Why I didn't pick Nash: I'd prefer half court team and capable defenders at all positions. I think the team will distribute the ball well enough.

Why I didn't pick Duncan/Barkley: I think Hakeem + KG is faster, more versatile, and has better spacing than Hakeem + Duncan/Barkley.

15. parmesh

parmesh Member

Dwyane Wade, Lebr... DAMN IT I'm already doin' it wrong...

16. supdudes

supdudes Member

Exactly...should be Kidd, Dirk, Terr..

17. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

Lol, you think Bird would have a problem with Durant? Look at what an over the Hill Bird did to Rodman (PRIME Rodman, not with the Bulls). I don't think y'all realize how good Bird was - his peak is as good as anyone's who has played the game.

Bird was not a poor defender regardless of what some would have you believe. He played average man D but his team D was amazing (especially his timing). Great hands, great IQ, and he'd always put in effort. That's why he lead the league in defensive win shares multiple years and was named to multiple all defensive 2nd teams. He was also a great rebounder and playmaker - his scoring speaks for itself. He could score from anywhere on the court; he's also probably the GOAT player of the ball.

There's no question that:
    Magic
    Jordan
    Bird

would fill my 1,2, and 3 slot. You could put Magic on the bigger guards; Jordan was athletic enough to stick with small guards. Bird would just need to funnel more athletic wings (Lebron for example) to his bigs...

I'd fill both my 4/5 slot with 2 centers (this is gonna be blasphemy to a lot of you): David Robinson and Hakeem Olajuwon. IMO DRob and Hakeem would be an amazing duo. Shaq/Wilt would clog up the lane and don't have the range of Hakeem or Drob. KAJ lacks their athleticism. Both of these guys were lightning quick and extremely strong - not to mention that they are two of the greatest shot blockers of all time. They could run the floor, and score on the perimeter or with their backs to the basket (Hakeem moreso than DRob).

18. Damion Laverne

John Stockton
    Chris Mullin
    Larry Bird
    Bob Pettit
    Mark Eaton

The "White Guy" TEAM!

19. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Member

kidd
    jordan
    bird