1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3D Printing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Realjad, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

This is some crazy technology.. Mind = Blown
    I can't wait to see this technology when it's fully been invested and mastered and what it leads to years down the road.

<object width="450" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/e/0b5_1310330270"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/0b5_1310330270" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowscriptaccess="always" width="450" height="370"></embed></object>

In probably 20 years we could probably make anything inorganic at our own home.. instead of just downloading movies or songs you'll probably be able to download actual items

Just think how big computers used to be, this stuff is only going to be built upon and perfected.

#1 Realjad, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

This has been around for a long time, hasn't it?

I remember visiting the computer lab of a friend who did 3D modeling maybe 10 years back, and he was using a 3D printer.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yeah, I saw a 3D printer for sale in CompUSA in the late 90s.

Nothing this complex though, with moving parts and different colors. Pretty awesome.

I'm looking forward to the house printer. It will be a long time before it's economically viable, but think of how efficient your home will be and how well built when you eliminate human error.

[​IMG]

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is good stuff. Considering . . .the big thing in Space travel will be weight and mass
    Rather can have a tool room . .you could have rooms of nothing but this powder

I wonder. . .can the reverse the process. Can they break down that wrench
    then recycle the material to make it into a pair of pliers.

Definately Good stuff there. Thanks for sharing

Rocket River

5. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

That's a really interesting point!

6. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

The wrench that the guy wants to copy and the one that comes out are not the same. Just look at the bottom part.

This doesn't mean that they can't print a wrench. I just think they had one in the system already and went with that one because the process is more involved than what is shown in the video.

7. Dei

Dei Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

He should have printed out some decent clothes while he was there.

:)

9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Well, either that or edited it in the design program.

These things just don't have much use in many applications because you can't select the output material.

10. highstep

highstep Member

My lecturer told me that they have made a fully functioning human kidney with 3d printing. Instead of ink they used stem cells. Very cool.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

guy who likes to post grizzly stories about human organ harvesting faints

12. Prince

Prince Member

I'd like to scan and print Scarlett Johansson.