1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most famous person of the 20th century?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by R0ckets03, Jul 28, 2011.

?

Most famous person of 20th century?

1. Mahatma Gandhi

4.4%
  2. Albert Einstien

17.0%
  3. Michael Jackson

19.9%
  4. Pope John Paul

0.5%
  5. Nelson Mandela

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Michael Jordan

4.9%
  7. Princess Diana

0.5%
  8. Muhammad Ali

1.5%
  9. Elvis

2.4%
  10. Adolf Hitler

49.0%
  1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Michael Jackson? You must be joking.

You must be a child of the 80's or 90's. Is Britney Spears the second most famous person on your list.:grin:

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also that woman needed to pay more attention in school.

3. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Adjusted for inflation of media and the information age, Harry Houdini.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I predict in 40 years from now Michael Jackson will be as famous as Franz Liszt is today.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

First name that came to mind was Einstein, so that's my vote.

In 500 years, who will people remember?

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Hitler over Einstein in a close finish.

DD

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Attilla the Hun won this award in the 5th century, so I am going with Hitler.

8. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

Hitler has to be the most known person in the world from the 20th century...he may even be the most known person in all of history behind Jesus, Muhammed, and Buddha.

I'm surprised you don't have more political figures on the list - I'd think FDR and JFK would be high on the list as would Chruchill.

How does someone who graduated from high school in 2005 not know how Ghandi is? I don't think I could even have an "argument" with someone that ignorant.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

It's not like it's my personal preference or something.

I think you're underestimating how well known he is around the world.

I disqualify Hitler, because it seems like he is exempted by the mere spirit of the question. (i.e. popularity)

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this guy is in-famous.

[​IMG]

11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Do you think 500 years from now when people talk about last century, they would talk about Michael Jackson? We are not talking about who is most popular at the moment, but who will be remembered for ages. How many musicians are remembered through out history? Michael Jackson will not be one of those.

12. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

Hitler will be lesser known than Eintein in a few hundred years or even the next thousand years. Einstein's work and his image lives on among children and continues to be so. Just like Newton, he's been dead for centuries but his name is still often mentioned. What about Pythagoras? He lived more than 2000 years ago and any kid could at least take a guess what he did.

As far as Hitler, 1000 years from now he'll just be in the history books as the evil dude from WW2, but there have been numerous evil men throughout history that we have to look through history to know and they are not mentioned on a daily basis. But Einstein has become synonamous with "an intelligent person".

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

El Guapo

14. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Hitler will be remembered far longer than anyone else on that list. He set a new standard for slaughter of humans. We still remember Genghis Khan, Attila the Hun, Hannibal. Wars are what survive the ages, and Hitler was the evil figure head of the biggest war yet, in the most connected age yet.

You would be hard pressed to find anyone that doesnt at least know of Hitler.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I'm thinking in terms of "who was known (or more popular) by more people during the 20th century", not "who will be remembered centuries from now".

The question could be worded a little better, imo.

Fame is not the right word to use here:

–noun: widespread reputation, especially of a favorable character; renown; public eminence: to seek fame as an opera singer.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'd probably say Hitler.

17. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

You are right as more time passes, others will fade but Einstein will always shine.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't think Adolf is nearly as popular as y'all think, not from other countries perspectives, but I definitely could be wrong. I think Michael Jordan might be a smidge underrated here, he was like the 2nd most popular figure in Japan in the 90's, just under some Japanese historic legend dude. I'd guess Ghandi or Einstein over Hitler though.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

People in China who would have a chance to communicate with a typical clutchfans member would likely know hitler. The thing is, they represent a very, very minority of the 1+ billion people living there.

Are we talking about educated people with knowledge of world history? Or everyone? That latter would include poor people in rural areas of 3rd world countries who never went to school, can't read, and pretty much never leave the village. I'm trying to not to dismiss these people. After all, we are talking about "most famous", not "most famous among the educated".

20. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Walt Disney deserves consideration.