1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking Down Potential Free Agent Targets: Marc Gasol

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Member

What I'd like to know is how he compares in each category compared to Chuck Hayes...

Off rebounding
    Def rebounding
    Rim protection (he has to be better than Chuck here)
    Post Defense (Given the comments, he can't be better than Chuck, right?)

On the other hand, Yao's defensive numbers never looked that great, but he had a huge defensive impact on our team.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Blah blah blah... move on.

3. BenVR4

BenVR4 Member

I guess we can officially no longer say:

Where are the videos of Marc Gasol passing?

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Clearly, you have yet to find your nook. I suggest that you keep looking.

5. AXG

AXG Member

Gasol is the only FA center I'd want barring some miracle to get Dwight Howard. I think he has potential to be a 20-10-2 pts/rbs/blks guy, which would make the Rox instant contenders.

6. Northside Storm

Who would have thought, a mere two or three years ago, that the franchise might rest on the chubby shoulders of one Marc Gasol.

Not that I mind, but it's hilarious. Sign him up though!

7. bbjai

bbjai Member

How old is het?

8. anchel

anchel Member

9. baller4life315

Nice write-up. You obviously put a lot of time into that.

That said, don't get your hopes up. It's a pipe-dream.

10. alethios

alethios Member

Nice read and the videos were decent, in that they showcased your points about the different aspects of Gasol's game well. I had to consume it in chunks though because it did take a while to go through the videos and commentary.

Repped for throroughness :grin:

11. intergalactic

intergalactic Member

The essence of why Memphis would be able to sign him to a large contract, despite their other salaries, is the Larry Bird exception. This allows teams to go over the salary cap to re-sign current players.

If the current rules were continued into next season, the most likely outcome would be that Memphis would make a lowball offer (around 9 million). His true value is probably 10-11 million, considering what players like Bogut and Nene currently make. If another team decided to make an offer, they would probably offer around 12 million, which Memphis would doubtless match. This is a bit more than he is actually worth. If MGasol were to be an unrestricted free agent, there would likely be a bidding war, and he would probably get 13-14 million. This is considerably more than he is worth.

So he's a very good example of the problems in the current CBA. Almost any offer made by another team forces Memphis to overpay, but because of the dearth of centers they really can't afford to let him go. I expect that some form of Bird exception will stay in place, which would favor Memphis keeping him. But, as a small market team, Memphis will also probably argue for a hard cap. If that happens, there is a good chance they would have to let Gasol walk, to a team with more cap space. The gray area is if there is a phased introduction of a hard cap. If so, Memphis should be able to re-sign Gasol, but will be severely limited in roster flexibility after that.

The Rox actually have a very good position w.r.t the lockout. Given our low commitments heading into 2012, Morey is going to have a huge amount of flexibility to take advantage of the new rules, and I expect that he'll be better with the financials than most of the other GMs out there. This plays exactly to his strengths.

12. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Member

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I really appreciate it. I wasn't able to reply until today, so please forgive me for bumping this thread. I'll try to answer some of the questions.

Yeah, I think that's a good point/fair assessment. You often see Gasol talking to his teammates, seemingly talking about strategy adjustments (judging from his hand gestures). Gasol's unselfishness sure benefited some of the Grizzlies shot-happy players (Z-Bo & Gay) and I don't think I saw him ever blaming his teammates for anything. I don't think his body language was bad at any point either. He leads by example.

Chuck is the better offensive rebounder. Gasol is too big, slow & unathletic to get around people and establish position.
    Defensive Rebounding is about the same. Gasol may have better tools (size), but until he rebounds more consistantly I'm unwilling to give him the edge.
    Chuck is the better post defender, but you won't find many guys who play better post-d than Chuck. Gasol is pretty solid himself. Without giving it much thought I'd probably put him in the upper-tier (top-15-ish) of post defenders.
    Gasol is indeed a better rim protector than Chuck, though I'm not sure how much that says. I think his defensive impact is positive, but I wouldn't say it's to the level Yao impacted the defensive end.

It's funny that you brought up Yao though. I think Gasol's game is pretty similar to Yao. He's obviously not as good as Yao was, but they play the game similarly IMO. 19-21 pts & 9-10 rebs is about where I'd put Gasol's ceiling at. That's basically what Yao averaged during his career & per36. He'll need to work on his body though, which leads me to:
    He looks a bit slimmer, but here a two pictures from mid July:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think it's fair to say that he's still got some work to do ;).

Thanks again. I won't be able to do anything similar anytime soon, but if the lockout lasts a while and the Rockets end up signing somebody in free agency, I'll try to get something done. Cheers.

13. Zboy

Zboy Member

Grizzlies would have to be complete morons to let him get away.

14. Relentless

Relentless Member

This right here is a perfect example of Homerism

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good lord... MAN BOOBS!! How can a professional athlete let himself get that far out of shape during the offseason? Incredible! :-O-

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

Marc Gasol's is every team's perfect C (if it does not have a Dwight Howard or Pau Gasol).

He can score in the post when asked to, rebound, defend, plays hard, big/strong, humble, young and still improving.

In the playoffs, there were times I thought when Zach didn't have it, Gasol should have gotten all the other touches.

26, and improving.

17. chinese

chinese Member

Less athletic than Yao, not perfect but still No. 1 Target.

If we get him, the team and fans will get use to him quickly, he is a 4 inches shorter version Yao. All complains and all praises Yao got on this BBS can direct to him without modification.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

So you mean there's a good chance they'll let him get away? :cool:

19. anchel

anchel Member

He was always a fatty. He lost 30 kgs in 6 years.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not like his brother.

[​IMG]

BTW, the guy who is with him and his girlfriend in that photo is AdriĆ” Gasol, projected to be the tallest brother.

20. anchel

anchel Member

Sorry, obviously I just saw more pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]