1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fonde Rec Center League (Starts July 9th)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Faos, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Here's a link to the league site:

http://www.houstonprocity.com/main.html

Exerpt from the Chron article:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4951898.html

It's a collaboration that Allen and Granger, who have been running Nike Pro City for five years, have been happy to embrace. It also makes Houston the epicenter of all things basketball.

"First of all, you have a lot of NBA guys who live in the city. That's where it starts," Allen said. "Now that you have Pro City involved with one of the top leagues in the United States, and you have a lot of NBA guys and top-level collegiate guys who come in and work out with John Lucas. You put that all together, and this is probably one of the hottest places to be."

Fans should be able to see it for themselves tonight.

The roster of NBA talent on parade at Fonde includes Ford, Green, Emeka Okafor, Rashard Lewis, Daniel Ewing, Daniel Gibson, Steve Francis, Sam Cassell, Damon Stoudamire, James Posey, Rafer Alston, Luther Head, Damon Jones, Mike James, Kendrick Perkins, Sean Williams, Kirk Snyder, Andre Owens, Chris Wilcox, Rodney Carney, Juan Dixon and Glen Davis. And for the first time in a while, University of Houston players — Lanny Smith, Robert McKiver, Marcus Cousin, Marcus Malone and Dion Dowell — will be playing.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I park in that parking lot next door.

I'm going to go to it now.

3. DreamRoxCoogFan

how do you get there? ive always wanted to go, i just dont know where it is...

4. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I went down there a year or two ago and was pretty disappointed. It wasn't very entertaining and was extremely hot, cramped, and loud.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

well its just a bunch of pick up games

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

Isn't Head supposed to be in China?

7. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

yeah and daniel gibson's playing in the vegas summer league

8. cassell4mvp

cassell4mvp Member

first game was pretty boring.

second game featured the two teams from last year's finals (rashard vs tj's team)

tj and john lucas III scored at will. rashard was there supporting his team but did not play. i sat like 8ft away from mike james. MJ didn't look like he had many friends and kind of just walked around.

i came out confused how damon jones and daniel ewing are in the nba. jones was terrible.

other notable players - tierre brown, terrence morris, kenny taylor(former UT pg)

9. TheTruth

TheTruth Contributing Member

Jonjon looks really improved but he has nothing on TJ Ford's game.

10. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

This thing runs for an entire month?

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

i decided to go home, cause i was all sleepy and stuff.

12. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

so do you all reccomend going or is it boring?

13. TRAVLR

TRAVLR Member

My wife and son and I look forward to going. The games are fun, the gym is small, sweaty and old, but has some character. It's the best free entertainment in town. We are looking forward to going to several nights of hoops this summer.

The cool thing is you are right there in the stands ten feet from the players who are just walking around. After the games, the kids can say hello, get an autograph or just walk up to the players to see how big they really are....

It ain't great basketball, you can't understand the announcer AT ALL, but it's fun and beats staying at home watching TV.

As far as where it is, just Google or mapquest Fonde Rec Center. It's in downtown Houston, just off of 45 on the west side of downtown, sort of near the Aquarium and the TUTS theater.

Go and check it out for yourself. Kids will love the cars in the parking lot. Lot's of bling and horsepower.

14. ghost

ghost Member

Huh, you must have been real close to me, as I sat right next to Mike. My father-in-law had a few conversations with him. My father-in-law even told Mike how he played against Kareem (then Lew Alcindor) in the 1963 New York City Championship and how he lettered at West Point (only 6 did) under Bobby Knight. Mike was actually pretty interested in what was said. Very nice guy.

Tack Minor sat right in front of me and was talking to Mike during the last game. That's actually when my father-in-law started name dropping.

As to the poster asking about Damon Jones and Daniel Ewing, DJ is on his way out, IMO. He can still shoot, but he plays no defense. If you are judging their NBA worthiness based on summer pick up games, then you are an idiot. These guys just go out there and cut loose.

Daniel Ewing is temporarily out of the Association, as I believe the Clippers didn't resign him.

If you are a fan of basketball, then yes, I would go without a doubt. I have gone the last 3 or so years and it's been a lot of fun. The shear fact that you can be so close to these guys and then even talk with them casually is cool, not too mention some of the games are pretty good. How often can you just walk up to Moses Malone after the game and chat or sit next to Mike James in the stands? I even went up to my boy Styx and said hello. I guess he is probably done playing in the MET league now.

15. thabeet

thabeet Member

anyone know the schedule for this summer?

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Kirk Snyder? I thought he was in jail.

Edit: didn't see thread start date until now.

#16 DieHard Rocket, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Wow, I thought Faos was back.....thabeet, fail.

18. M.ANGEL4

M.ANGEL4 Member

the games started already, i went out there yesterday and didnt see any nba players. Games are on mondays and wednesdays

19. Lemonte

Lemonte Member

NBA players are afraid of getting hurt and voiding a contract during the lockout. At least that is what one of them told me. This guy just moved to Houston about a month ago. He plays for the Sixers, but grew up in NOLA.
    A 6'9" forward, played a GA Tech, but I can't remember his name. :cool:

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Thadeus Young??