1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

ClutchFans 2011 NBA Draft Thread (6/23/2011) - #14. Marcus Morris

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 22, 2011.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Before anyone gets too enthusiastic about Rockets making a killing in this draft, I would suggest they read Sean Bijani's article today on SportsRadio 610's web page:http://houston.cbslocal.com/2011/06/22/browse-the-rockets-recent-draft-history/. Going back 11 years, their draft history has been rather dismal and on the occasions that they did draft a potentially good player, they have traded said player away. This has been so under Dawson and has continued under Morey as he shuffles the roster in an attempt to rebuild. And with them drafting 14th, 23rd and 38th, my expectations for them landing an impact player in this draft are extremely low.

2. AusEaglez

AusEaglez Member

Well lets hope that changes

3. KyleLowryPG

KyleLowryPG Member

This is the best prediction I've heard.

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Players I really like in this draft (predicted draft position considered):
    Enes Kanter
    Bismack Biyombo
    Morris Twins
    Klay Thompson
    Kawhi Leonard
    Kemba Walker
    Kenneth Faried
    Kyle Singler
    Jimmy Butler
    Nolan Smith
    Shelvin Mack

Random other predictions:
    Kemba Walker and Brandon Knight will both be better NBA players than Kyrie Irving.
    Jonas Valanciunas will be bought out and come the NBA next season.
    Derrick Williams won't be very good next year, but will eventually come around.
    Jeremy Tyler will be awful.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Going back through history is useless 'cause we have a new GM now. Looking back at Dm's past draft we've drafted Brooks, Landry, C-bud and of course my boy (and future all star) Patrick Patterson. All have been great high-impact players. I see no reason not to expect another high impact player in this year's draft whether we move up or not.

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

[​IMG]

For those who were wanting to see what our draft hat looked like....

7. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I hope we don't draft someone who's big enough to make it look like a silly baby hat.

8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

9. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

10. jogo

jogo Member

Who do we want in the early 2nd? Jeremy Tyler but we're afraid he'll be taken before the 38th? I think Morey likes the early seconds because he can get 1st round talent for a non-guaranteed contract. He gets flexibility in the event that players are traded from our roster, leading to more openings.

11. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

This Year I have a feeling were going to get lucky with an excellent player.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

It is interesting. Blinebury said they got 11 players under contract I believe, 2 more guys they say they want to bring back in Hayes and Yao, looking at a stacked roster(from numbers, not talent, standpoint).

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

Dream scenario:

Courtney Lee and #23 to Milwaukee for #10

#10 and Jordan Hill to Sac for #7

Draft Marcus Morris with #7 and Donatas Montiejunas with #14

DMorey can have my first born if he can pull that off.

14. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I like the logic but not the players

I think it would be Tristan Thomas, Kawhi Leonard or Byombo with no 7 and 14 they would take montiejunas if he is there, but I dont think so if they get byombo.

Of course would be really cool if they pulled that off and traded the 7 and 14 for no 2! lol

15. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Here's a well-done analysis by Basketball Prospectus:
    http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1777

It paints a pretty dark picture of the draft class (particularly after the top 9), but that's somewhat of a function of having such a large pool of players to compare to...naturally, the closest statistical match isn't always going to be a guy who made it. It's still an interesting read.

2 people like this.
  16. solid

solid Contributing Member

It is fun to be excited today, I am enjoying it, looking forward to it, but have the nagging feeling that at the end of the day we will all be scratching our heads and saying what? who? Maybe it will be different, maybe the Rockets get really lucky. Last year was good, Patterson appears to be a real find, but most Rocket's drafts going back to the early years have been abysmal. Fingers and toes are crossed.

17. herro

herro Member

Cleveland is looking to use their trade exception to garner an additional lottery pick.

They want Irving, Thompson, & Valanciunas.

We need the #2.

18. alethios

alethios Member

2012 is the draft we need to pour our assets into. I like the idea of snagging Barnes for the Rockets. He's our missing piece.

For this year's draft, I wouldn't mind if we take Kenneth Faried with the 23rd - I know he's undersized, but what a rebounding machine and scrapper he his.

19. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

this year i think they will draft a dude i dont really know about and then spend an hour on youtube shortly after the pick. then the kool-aid will be drinken.

20. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Member

I highly doubt Faried will be there at 23.