1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Andy Katz reports Rockets trying hard for #2 pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DraftBoy10, Jun 22, 2011.

1. aakhan786

aakhan786 Contributing Member

Williams no worse than #2

If Rockets get the 2nd pick, they have to select Williams. As much as Kanter might fill a need at C, we're basing it on what he did 2 years ago at the Nike Hoops game. SF position is a need as well. Over pay for a Center if need be, not that many to choose from.

2. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But the Rockets also have two picks ahead of the Spurs. Plus, there is speculation that getting Parker means you also have to take Jefferson.

3. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Member

All this Morey bashing on this site is becoming incredibly tiresome. It's like children just saying things for the sake of getting attention.

Morey is a very good GM, and I am glad he is our GM. I have a strong feeling that tomorrow night will be a very good night for the Rockets, as will this offseason.

He hasn't hit that grand Slam yet, but damn it he's trying. He'll hit it.

3 people like this.
  4. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

your right, and if the spurs pull it off we are scratching our heads saying wait, we have better picks and they talked them into taking a bad contract in jefferson.. how did they do it??

i'm just saying.. it's time for Morey to produce! his job is to draft well and talk a free agent into coming here.. he's a car salesman.. he's supposed to sell ketchup popsicles to a guy in white gloves.. to convince these superstars that we have to core group of guys to go all the way.. if he can't he fails.. plain and simple..

5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Morey must really believe in Kanter or Williams.

6. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

yea i think morey has done well too.. but now it's time to hit the homerun… and if he doesn't i bet no one will say anything.. we will sit back and go "Oh almost"… draft stuff i understand because it's trades. but free agent stuff is different.. his job is to talk these guys into coming here… so at some point the front office will hold him accountable..

7. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

You can't hit a grand slam if the other team intentionally walks you with the bases loaded.

1 person likes this.
  8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

So if Morey fails to move up and the Spurs move up by dangling a better asset in Parker, then somehow Morey is to blame for that? We have dudes like Scola and Martin. They are supposedely dangling Parker. The last guy that I recall getting traded for a top 5 pick was Ray Allen.

It takes very good players to get that high up.

9. conquistador#11

[​IMG]

10. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Member

Are you referring to Bosh? if so, that's unfair to Morey. You really think Morey can talk Bosh out of playing with LeBron and Wade in Miami?????

Other than that, our cap has been tied up for years with Yao and TMac.

11. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

oh thats right.. blame everyone else… teams like dallas can get Tyson Chandler, brenden haywood, marion, caron butler.. Morey gets us Thabeet, twill, jordan hill, brad miller… you guys are right.. i'm wrong..

we have to trade Scola or Kmart if we wanna move up.. u can't offer crap and expect teams to bite..

12. brosef

brosef Member

this.

13. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

I think this is Morey's ultimate target. And I think Kanter is who he is targeting. All this talk for the no 10 or 8 is just that, talk. Even the rumors of Iggy. Morey is trying to work something that would make Minny bite for the no 2. If he has nothing that Minny covets he's trying to bring in a 3 rd team to sweeten the pot. IMO.

The depth of this draft and the lack of talent at the top doesn't seem to justify moving the 2 picks to move up just 4-6 spots. It's been well reported on here the difference in moving up a few spots in past drafts, however I don't feel that's necessarily the case in this one. If the players they are predicting fall, and if Morey is right in that this draft is 22 deep, he's guranteed to get someone he covets at both picks as there is no way the draft will unfold with his exact 22 prospects falling off the board before the 23rd pick.

1 person likes this.
  14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

We had a deal in place for Chandler and the other team pulled out. The other guys you listed really aren't any better than some of the guys Morey has gotten us (Martin, Scola, Lowry, Lee) with less assets. Take away Dirk, the star player, and the Mavs look a lot like us last year.

1 person likes this.
  15. dje243

dje243 Member

the perfect analogy?

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

LOL at the people who are ready to jump off a bridge if the spurs pull of a trade. All it means is that they gave up more than Houston. Considering they're more desperate and giving up parker could be a big blow instead, it's nothing to freak out about. Houston could give up someone similar, like Martin, but what's that going to accomplish for the team? We're rebuilding, while SA is trying a desperate move to make the most of TD and Manu's last years. Pulling off the trade doesn't guarantee they'll be winning 55+ next year, maybe even 50.

17. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

I swear there's only one troll on five different accounts. I swear.

1 person likes this.
  18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i tend to agree. Kanter is higher risk/reward situation. williams is the most solid bet...you know what you're getting

19. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Based on what I've been reading, I'd rather go for Jonas than Kanter. I have a feeling that Kanter's ceiling is small Chris Kaman. Severe do not want.

20. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Maybe he is trying to get the #2 to trade to ATLANTA with another player for JOSH SMITH?