1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MMA] Strikeforce World Grand Prix: 8-man heavyweight tournament

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Commodore, Jan 5, 2011.

1. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

so Overeem won?

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Alistair won... his brother lost...

3. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Alistair won but he didn't impress.

4. Prince

Prince Member

overeem and verdum were fighting over position...... verdum wants missionary while overeem wanted kamasutra.

5. VanityHalfBlack

MMA cage fighting in a nutshell...

6. King1

King1 Member

Terrible night of fights in general

7. Scarface281

Scarface281 Member

That was probably the worst assortment of fights I've seen in a while.

8. wtfamonkey

wtfamonkey Member

Overeem would get Manhandled if he fought fedor

9. MourningWood

MourningWood Member

Big Foot likes to stand and bang too much for his own good, but I like his chances against Reem in the semi-final.

... looking like Barnett v. Big Foot in the final.

10. Kim

Kim Member

I remember when Brock won the title and was considered to have the potential to be unstoppable. I know many still loved Fedor, but the argument out there was that Brock was just too big. His inability to take a punch has since failed him.

Then came last year, the year of Allistair. I've seen a few of the specials on HDNET or some 2nd tier channels. He's a Brock with better striking and worse wrestling. Still, in this fight, he looked winded and slow (even though better than his opponent).

Is the idea of the best fighter being a super heavyweight dead? Has it been dead ever since Cain destroyed Brock? It seems like a 240lb man can do as much damage to a 270lb man as vice versa, and that the 240lb is generally better conditioned. Does it take a certain skill level to nullify that weight advantage, or is it even an advantage at all?

11. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

Don't judge Alistair over this fight... He'll be back in his regular form for his next fight.

12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

So..Cormier vs Barnett in the finals. They dismantled their opponents with ease, Cormier especially..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

although not apart of the heavyweight tournament, King Mo knocking out Gracie was impressive as well

[​IMG]

13. Asian Sensation

Cormier was impressive. I thought Big foot's size was going to be too much but Cormier's speed was the difference. He looks soft but he's smooth, quick and gets the job done. His basketball equivalent would be Zach Randolph. It's all in the hips. Silva looked liked a giant slug out there and it doesn't help that his giant dome piece presents a huge target. I'm still shocked Fedor lost too him. Just shows how much Fedor has fallen off. I'd like to see Cormier fight against Big Country Nelson in the future.

King Mo is so hood. When he KO'ed Gracie I thought his fight totally reminded me of a street/club fight and he even said that in his post fight interview lol. I hope he fights Rampage some day though. King Mo rubs me the wrong way with is weak gimmick and I'd love too see Rampage KO him.

Back to the hips. Barnett has some child bearing hips and he knows how to use it to his advantage.

In other news I'm excited to see Cung Le vs. Belfort. I think Belfort's hand speed is going to be too much but hopefully Le can put up a good fight and win. Not very confident though especially after watching Belfort steamroll past Sexyama.

Nick Diaz vs. BJ Penn is going to be sick as well. I'd love to see Diaz try to taunt Penn and watch Penn go crazy. An angry motivated Penn is a scary dude.

14. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Solid card last night for strike force, the last 2fights on the hdnet card were good too. Jacare and whoever that dude was he fought put on a good show. After watching that I hope any clamoring for silva vs jacare fight is done. Cormier really impressed, his fight with Barnett should be interesting, I look for both of them to be in the UFC within the next year, yes even Barnett.