1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Doogie Wolfson] Houston has been calling a lot for Wolves #2 pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by desi tmac91, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Garner

Garner Member

It has more to do with being able to repackage for a secondary trade than drafting in that range.

2. pbthunder

pbthunder Member

Disagree. He might make a lot of calls, relative to the total number of trades (going by what tidbits we pick up), but he does make a decent number of trades.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Yes... Morey never gets any deal done.

What do you repackage them with and what secondary trade do you pursue?

Maybe something like these two picks, another 1st rounder, Asik to Chicago for Kevin Martin?

4. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

i am all for trading our picks and getting 2012 picks if there are surefire franchise players in that draft. as long as they are lottery picks.

5. Alief

Alief Member

Oh well in that case, you get even less slack, coming from Alief you must have thick skin!:)
    I like 1st rounders too, I just think these are too low to do much with especially for what you are giving up.
    (Okay, serious question, Elsik or Hastings?)

6. pbthunder

pbthunder Member

Hastings. Elsik started when I was a sophomore. (bullwinkle60 at gmail)

7. delishman

delishman Member

Those two first rounders are worth very, very little.

Charlotte's pick and Asik are quality assets but not at the cost of Kevin Martin. Now for Courtney Lee... :grin:

8. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

great deal

9. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

well not really. i guess that would make courtney lee or t-will the starter if that deal happened, and i would much racher have lee come off the bench rather than start, because he is more consistant off the bench than as a starter.

10. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

but it would be a major plus if we get derrick willians if he really as good as people make him out to be in college. Even i was a lil impressed with his college highlights.

11. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Rubio was 12th in the Euroleague in assists. With 3 small forwards and 2 shooting guards ahead of him on the list.

http://www.euroleague.net/main/statistics/individual/average?topic=Season_E2010&category=Assists

So, if Rubio will average 10 assists in his rookie NBA season, then how much would Euroleague leader Diamantidis average in the NBA? 15 or 20?

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

Diamantidis' scoring average would probably increase to 17+ ppg. His assists may even go lower in the NBA as his scoring would increase. He's a very good player. Wish he were over here.

Rubio's assist numbers will go up drastically. He's only been playing 23 mpg in Europe. He's been dinged. He hasn't been starting. Different league. On the TWolves, he starts and the team likely hands him the keys. Different league, different setup. With Martin and Love, Rubio is going to push 10 apg.

BTW, Spanoulis would be in the same situation in the NBA. If you put him on the TWolves with Love and Martin and handed him the keys, he'd get you close to 10 assists per game too, running pick and roll.

13. thegary

thegary Member

i hope you poor bastards managed to make it out of there.

14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

No way Spanoulis would ever average 10 ast per game in the NBA. Spanoulis was totally ineffective as an NBA player, been there & done that. Make all the excuses you want for the guy but he didn't get it done. Rubio is very unlikely to average 10 ast either, it's not easy guys.

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

Spanoulis is a quality player. You cannot judge what he would do in the NBA today by the short stint he had under Van Gundy several years ago.

16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Based on what? Quality quitter. Let's see he wouldn't play for JVG or Poppovich? Who or what will he play for? Seems to the competition was too much & he went back to an enviroment where he could flourish. He was not effective under NBA rules playing against NBA competition & quit. Period.

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

First of all, the "not wanting to play for Popovich" label is a bit of a misnomer. He had already decided to leave the NBA, return to Greece and--most importantly--void the remaining two years on his contract BEFORE being traded to the Spurs. In fact, it was Spanoulis's agreement to void his contract that made the Spurs want him in the first place. The Spurs were about to lose Scola to a long-term deal to play in Spain, they were over the luxury tax, and they wanted to dump Jackie Butler's contract for the next season. Spanoulis's voidable contract was a financial tool by which the Spurs could (and did) save about $5-6 million.

And I do agree with those who say Spanoulis could have been a decent NBA player in the right situation. He just wasn't a fit with JVG or in his system.

Now, those saying that he'd be any sort of NBA star are just delusional.

18. delishman

delishman Member

I think literally every thread in the GARM has an OHMSS subplot.

19. Alief

Alief Member

Rest assured my sons will never know the joys of growing up in Alief.:cool:

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I recall the situation, but I still think the whole right situation excuse is really a convenient of blaming JVG for his failure. How many players who have failed (American or imported) could use the same excuse? What was the "right situation" for V-Span? Couldn't he just have asked for a trade out of H-town? We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, because I think he's good for the league he plays in but a run of the mill player in the NBA.