1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MMA] Strikeforce World Grand Prix: 8-man heavyweight tournament

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Commodore, Jan 5, 2011.

1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Exactly. His body just isn't trained to do that at this point. He could run the risk of having it shut down on him.

2. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I don't know if he's done yet. He's not that old. I think Strikeforce should just hold off on giving him giants until he gets a couple of wins under his belt. If nothing else, it would be nice if he went out on a winning note.

As for Rogers, he's just mad that Fedor beat him and he won't get a shot while he's down.

3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

There's still plenty of HWs he can beat. He would just need to pick his opponets carefully. That said, Fedor isn't one to talk just to hear his own voice. I could easily see him training fighters and owning a gym. I agree that I'd like to see him go out with a win.

Rogers is a disgrace. He was changing tires 5 years ago. To **** on a guy who's been nothing but humble and classy throughout the years says a lot about his character.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

First thing I said when I heard tha was "I wonder how many days he's been waiting to use that line?" The line sounded so damn forced and prepared. Lame.

5. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Agree. I thought it was cheesier than the heads of Green Bay citizens after the Packers won the Superbowl. :p

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think Silva and Fedor are about the same age. I think Fedor's had a lot more fights, though.

Rogers is a moron that's gotten destroyed by two of the guys he may have had to fight in this tournament.

7. VanityHalfBlack

Yeah, the Christina Aguilera bit came out of nowhere made me laugh though...

8. Crudder

Crudder Member

Close, but not quite. Silva is 31 and Fedor is 34. 3 years is a huge difference seeing as how Fedor started around 27ish.

9. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

Fedor's not that old. Anderson Silva is a year older than him and look at what he's doing. If Fedor really wanted to drop to 205, he could, but it doesn't look like he has the motivation.

10. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Fedor got destroyed by Silva in both rounds. In round 1 he took some clear heavy shots to the face, tried to land some overhead hooks which didn't affect Silva at all, then at the end reversed the lock and attempted to lock Silva up and Silva was completely unaffected, even sittin there wavin his Dikembe No-No finger at Fedor. Second round was Silva poundin Fedors face.

How people can even think Fedor came close to winning round 1 is surprising to me.

I was more impressed by Kharitonov clean knockin Arlovsky on his ass and the monstrous way he kept attackin to the point where it looked like Arlovsky pretty much was paralyzed.

11. M.A. Dub

M.A. Dub Member

Floyd has never lost.

12. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

That was terrifying to watch. He looked like a corpse.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's his usual method of losing a match. It was terrifying the first time, but after you do it in your last 3 or 4 fights, you just get used to seeing it.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DbaXNECedfU?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Overeem looks and sounds like John Wayne meets Blair Underwood. Would love to see him in the UFC (non-roided).

#115 Dr of Dunk, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I'm not very familiar with MMA. Pardon my ignorance, but is this going to a tag team tournament with everyone fighting at the exact same time?

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Have steroids worked better on any human than Overeem? The dude put on 40-50 pounds of muscle and increased his speed and stamina. I'm curious if he could pass UFC steroid tests -- not that they are all that tough.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Over a period of months 8 fighters fight in 7 fights - kind of like an NCAA tournament bracket. Antonio Silva already beat Fedor Emelianenko a few months ago, so he advanced to meet the winner of the Overeem/Werdum fight this Saturday. Sergei Kharitonov already beat Andrei Arlovsky, so he'll advance to fight the winner of the Josh Barnett/Brett Rogers fight which is also this Saturday.

19. Commodore

No it's just an 8 man tournament, the rules of the matches are the same as any normal fight, just winner moves on. But the matches are like months apart.

20. Commodore

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xY29-2mKhZE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>