1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Do owners spend money because they have it? Or perhaps...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by meh, Jun 13, 2011.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

...they feel they have a good nucleus and want to "go for it at all cost"?

Maybe it's just me, but the Cuban love here is creeping the hell out of me. Look, I understand he's a billionaire and he's passionate, but don't make it look like he's the only guy who spends.

Take a look at Paul Allen's Portland teams during the Jailblazer era. And what they were willing to pay to get the Quitter among other players. And then take a look at their salary situation afterwards, when they rebuilt and had so much capspace they gave most of it to Miller, a mediocre PG.

Take a look at Cleveland's salaries before, during, and after Lebron.

Take a look at NY during Isiah, when they kept thinking guys like Francis and Marbury rekindle their magical finals run just a few years earlier, and then blew it up to have enough money to get 2 max FAs.

Take a look at Houston right after the championship days, when Les was handing out lifetime contracts to Matt Maloney, Brent Price, Moochie Norris, etc. Then look at the spending dip when we started sucking, and then the rebound when Yao and T-Mac came in.

Take a look at the Lakers salary cap situation since Gasol arrived and they decided to keep everyone.

Look, every non-horrible owner will spend if they're going for it. This includes Les, who was willing to pull the trigger on a Bosh deal that would've put us way over the luxury line. This is not some amazing feat that only Cuban can do. They all do it. They just have to be in position to win first.

1 person likes this.
  2. IBTL

IBTL Member

cuban fellating is based on a myth that cuban spends and everyone else doesnt. Thanks for bringing up portland btw.

doesnt hurt to have a lucky #9 pick.

1 person likes this.
  3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Agreed.

Good scouting had nothing to do with drafting Nowitzki, unlike popular belief. In fact, sources claim Mark Cuban planned to draft the player with the highest beer tolerance with their lottery pick, and it was reported that Nowitzki had the highest beer tolerance of all.

Mark Cuban is just plain lucky, he was lucky to have his money, lucky to have a team, lucky to have a job, lucky to get Nowitzki, lucky to get Kidd, lucky to get Terry, lucky to be the person responsible for turning Dallas Mavericks around, lucky to bring relevance to the team.

Mark Cuban is the luckiest person on Earth, his team is successful merely because he is lucky. He'll be lucky if the Mavs win one game next season, and if he picks up any good players, it's because he is lucky and not because he has a good team of people to find the right pieces.

:rolleyes:

4. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

5. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Alexander homers can keep frontin', but who just won the championship?

Nothing more to say.

6. IBTL

IBTL Member

yeah and you are lucky to be posting in my presence.

What would the mavs be without dirk? An also ran not worthy of the playoffs.

So a lucky number 9 has nothing to do with it right?:rolleyes: Its all about what a pimp owner cuban is.. never mind that cuban was lucky enough to trade away a 2 time MVP and all stars in harris and jamison... cuban is the prognosticator and god you are looking for (nevermind that pesky nash cheapness)

your dads sperm was lucky or unfortunate for this bbs? I would say the latter

7. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Every owner and their uncles and their uncle's cousins would spend if they get Bosh/Wade/LeBron, but it is owners such as Cuban who spends on Marion/Chandler/Haywood/Stevenson/Kidd/Terry/DeSagana Diop/Austin Croshere that gets the championships.

Thats the difference. Some owners would only spend on Bosh, and some owners would spend on Haywood/Diop.

So yea, of course every owner WOULD/COULD/MIGHT/WILL spend blah blah, but have they spent? The ones that do gets the rings. The ones that wait for the Bosh to come by year after year to spend can just wait til he turns 36 and decides to come to play for you.

Even New York who was literally HORRIBLE during the Thomas era, and still in a better position than a non-spender. New York was pretty bad with Francis/Marbury, and yet they've quickly turned it unto Stoudamire/Anthony. The non-spenders can just wait for that bargain contract.

8. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

SO, uhm, who won the championship, buddy?

9. IBTL

IBTL Member

yeah houston 2 championships.. and now dallas ( finally) with one.

2>1

yup nothing more to say..

:rolleyes:

You are rooting for ? or against houston?

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Lucky? Maybe... Good scouting?

Harris for Kidd.... Pretty good trade now that you look at it no? Maybe they knew what they were doing?

Grow up.

And you do know luck is a factor for every single championship team right?

And I'm not going to start with the unoriginal sad personal insults with you, obviously you're not old enough to come up with a point yourself.

I love how you completely ignored my original point that good scouting led to Nowitzki. Yeah because teams literally pick random players in the draft and hope for the best right?

11. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Dude what are you, 12? A person can't appreciate Cuban's hardwork without him being a Mav's fan?!? As I was called out for it in the Astros minor league thread, I shall point out to you thats an ad hominem logic fallacy. You disagree with our opinion therefore we must be not rockets fans.

Cuban did a good job with the Mavs. He, by most if not all accounts, is a great owner. Dedicated, knowledgable, willing to spend. As much as I have disliked the guy over the years, he did good by his fans and his team.

Your argument that he's lucky that Dirk is Dirk is stupid. Cuban rolled the dice and stuck it out with Dirk out despite Dirk's 06 and 07 playoff performances. Nobody knew for certain that Dirk would ever put it all together. Plenty of star players never put it together.

12. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I am rooting for Houston, always and always will be.

But that does not mean I am just going to go ahead and praise everything to do with the franchise no matter what blindingly.

Cuban is a better owner than Alexander, and that's my point.

And just when did Houston win those 2 championships? By your logic, Minnesota must be a greater franchise than the Rockets. I mean, they won 5 championships between 1948-1953.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

13. sbyang

sbyang Member

Cuban is a great owner for the team. He's also the only owner brave (stupid?) enough to call Stern on the refs issue.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Or owners like Dolen who spends millions on the likes of Francis/Marbury/Crawford/Curry/Jeffries/forgot-that-center-who-sucks-but-got-MLE.

Or owners like Paul Allen who traded for a 10-deep roster to compete with the Lakers, including taking on a quitter with one of the biggest contracts in the NBa to play like 25mpg for them.

Or owners like Dan Gilbert who only had Lebron and made a 100+ mil roster out of that by trading for overpriced players like Mo Williams and Antwain Jamison.

Seriously, need I go on? Do you even watch basketball that doesn't involve the Mavs? Or do you just assume that owners who don't win championships just don't try? Cuban may be a good owner, but he's not the only spender. And he isn't the most wise spender either.

If you love the Mavs so much, there is a Mavs forum you know. You can go worship Cuban there and pretend he's the only wholesome owner in the entire NBA.

15. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

So the end result of that?

They have Amare and Stoudamire with potential capspace to sign another max FA such as Chris Paul.

And the end result of that?

They threw 3 million to get Brandon Roy for Randy Foye and bought Nicolas Batum, bought Rudy Fernandez. We were trading away Battiers while they were bringing in Wallaces.

And after that failed to work, he simply turned around and virtually bought the Clippers Number 1 pick which is the First pick for the current draft. He spent 12 million in doing so. So, he virtually got a franchise player in Kyrie Irving by spending 12 million.

Where did I say I love the Mavs? I was simply praising Cuban, the championship owner, and celebrating his success. I hope you don't see that as "love for the Mavs".

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the guy in memphis gets killed, he loses money, but as soon as he was able to put a winning product on the court he started going for it

17. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

yep. thats been the case. results speak for everything. so I want to give Alexander props, but we're not seeing any results.

18. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

You realize the Minnesota franchise you're talking about in not the Timberwolves but the Minnesota Lakers, and they've won a hell of lot more than that. And are pretty unequivocally better than us.

19. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Yea. Either you, you get my point :)

20. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

either way* ^