1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UFC 135 official -- Jones vs. Rampage

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by KingCheetah, Jun 9, 2011.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Some other interesting things in the article.
    _____

Dana White says UFC 135 official, and Jones to make title defense

A few tidbits from UFC president Dana White today, who held his usual court with reporters after the UFC 131 news conference:

If everything checks out with his health, light heavyweight champion Jon Jones will have his first title defense against Quinton Jackson on Sept. 24, at UFC 135 in Denver.

“That is the date he will headline, in Colorado,” White said. “Assuming [Jones] has healed. Doctor’s got to say his hand’s OK [first], and he’s got to get in the gym to prove it.”

The advantages are stacking up for Jones. He trains at Greg Jackson’s in Albuquerque at altitude, so his first title defense at 205 pounds occurring in the Mile High City will work in his favor. The date also occurs only six weeks after UFC 133 in Philadelphia, where No. 1 contender Rashad Evans is fighting Phil Davis, so if Jones is cleared to fight the timing could mesh for a late-2012 meeting between Evans and Jones. That is if everything lines up just right.

UFC 135 will also feature a welterweight tilt between Diego Sanchez and Matt Hughes, and will be the first event in Denver proper, since Zuffa bough the company in 2002."

White also said that, from this day forward, all non-title main events --regardless if they are major pay-per-views or free televised cards -- will be five rounds. The one exception is the Davis/Evans fight, because that contract was signed previously to the decision to lengthen main events in general.

When I asked him if there would be asterisks involved, such as a fighter jumping into the main event on short notice, or a co-main event being bumped up to become the main event as happened with Matt Hamill and Quinton Jackson at UFC 130, White said there were no exceptions -- all main events are five rounds.

“For Spike and everything else, all five rounds,” he said. “If you’re in the main event you have to fight five rounds. Even if it’s short notice.”

That’s fairly a significant detail for how gyms will need to alter training camps, as now the possibility of fighting five rounds rather than three will be in the back of a fighter’s mind.

link

2. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

I hoped that it would be Machida but oh well. RIP...Rampage in pieces.

3. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

About damn time.

I love Rampage....but Jones will show why he is the best fighter in the world.

Yup....The best.

4. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

I'd put my money on Bones, no doubt, but Rampage seems like a dangerous match-up stylistically. Bones has a tendency to be overly aggressive during his unorthodox assaults, and Rampage is arguably the most heavy-handed counter puncher in the business. Bones will obviously try to drag Rampage to the mat (though Jackson possesses world class takedown defense), and if he happens to over-expose himself during one of his frenzied attacks, Jackson will put him to sleep with his signature left hook.

Forget being stopped, Bones has NEVER even taken significant damage during his stint in the UFC. We've never seen Bones fight with his back against the wall, as he typically overwhelms his opponent and dictates the action. Both fighters have the ability to end it at the drop of a dime, but I wouldn't count out Rampage. He's far more experienced and is a proven giant killer, having already stopped 2 of the most vicious strikers in the history of the sport (Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva).

5. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

dammit whats left for our PPV in Oct??? :(

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Rampage isn't as motivated as before. He pretty much stated he now only fights for the money. I wish he would train just a bit harder and put more heart and effort into it.

7. Prince

Prince Member

one way to motivate Rampage is to let Jones wear a wig so he looks like a woman.

8. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Rampage is always a wild card. He could very well beat Jones, but who knows which Rampage shows up. Either way this should be a great fight.

9. Shrimz

Shrimz Member

Jon Jones really proved himself to me in the title fight. Dude's got what it takes and is really young

10. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

Rampage is true alpha-male, but I wonder sometimes if he really is a bully or he's just playing around..

11. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

In the words of Bart Scott, CAN'T WAIT:

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hiDFbz1pzLY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. RAID

RAID Contributing Member

I think Rampage is going to run into the same problems that Shogun had with Bones. If he tries to stand up and bang, Jones will use his reach advantage (84.5" vs 73") to keep him at a safe distance. And I don't see Rampage trying to take Jones to the ground. But if it goes there, Jones will dominate as well.

13. VanityHalfBlack

Rampage does not have a shot at all, at all!!!! He is going to get murdered by Jones!!!

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You heard it here first. Rampage is going to absolutely wipe Jon Jones off the face of the earth.

15. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

They trained together didn't they? Not saying Rampage is going to win for sure, but I'd put money on him just because the payoff will probably be pretty substantial since Jones is gones to be a big favorite.

16. Asian Sensation

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GCfP44lOCwc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love me some Rampage but I have a hard time seeing him win cause he's so one diminesional now. All he does is box now days and so if he can't find Jones chin it's going to be a long night for him. Jones is way to creative and unorthodox with his striking and his reach is going to annoy Rampage.

I'm really hoping Rampage smashes Jones though.

17. Asian Sensation

No. You're thinking of Rashad Evans.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I hope so, I hope Jones tries something flashy with his chin out there, and Rampage left hooks him into the next galaxy.

But that probably won't happen. Though Rashad will probably handle him after rampage, if that doesnt happen, we still got machida left...

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd like to see another Evans/Page fight too...

20. sew

sew Member

God, I hope Rampage destroys him. Not sure what it is, but Bones just rubs me the wrong way.

I don't think he stands much of a chance, however. Bones is too good.