1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[NBA Finals] Do you think the officiating is rigged?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RedRedemption, Jun 5, 2011.

?

Are the referees one-sided in this series?

1. Yes - Stern just wants to prolong the series to generate $$$.

49.6%
  2. No - Referees are just a bunch of stupid, incompetent morons.

41.6%
  3. No - All the calls were justified.

8.8%
  1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The NBA is easily the worst officiated sports league in the world

the refs are either incredibly stupid or the league is rigged, I believe the former although the latter is probably true as well

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I think it's a combination, but I don't blame the refs. They are probably told to do something different every single game. Of course they are going to look like idiots. Tonight was terrible. The Heat were lucky to win. It was as if any miss by Dallas was an automatic loose ball foul. The NBA is getting stupid. I like the refs in world level games. Those crews are solid.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Of course the reffing is bad. But the root problem is that Stern cares too much about image and has been persistently in denial that officiating is a problem. If you don't admit it as a problem, you are not doing anything to fix it. This is why it is consistently bad through the years and you can expect this to continue indefinitely.

4. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Do all the players make their shots all the time? Do they always play error free? No mistakes? Have you ever seen a game where there is no turn-over, all shots going in, no one committing any mistake?

Me neither. I don't expect the refs to be any different from the players.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Because no matter how bad the officiating gets, or how rigged it is. It all comes down to skill. Big three showed they can beat the system. Stern wants to rig games? **** him.

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Eh... Rigged is a step too far for me to say. Do officials favor one team over another quite frequently, you bet. To say that Mr. Stern goes out and masterminds wins and losses like Vince McMahon? That I don't buy...

7. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

The officiating didn't favor the Heat in game 2.

8. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Dallas should have known this going into the series especially after the last finals they were in vs. Miami. They need to have a good 10 point lead in order to win any games or rely on miracle shots from Dirk or Terry. Let's see if they can summon the power of the clutch city rockets from the 90's.

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Oh you mean game 2 where it took an eternity for the Heat to get a FT attempt? Go back and watch the game. The refs swallowed their whistles in the fourth which helped the Mavs get back into it.

10. AB423

AB423 Member

I don't know if you forgot, but the Heat were shooting jump shots most of the 4th.

I never noticed a game where the officiating was lopsided but this game really seemed like it was, and I'm rooting for Dallas.

11. rocketsmetalspd

The bad thing about the NBA is that they two sets of rules: 1. for the regular season and 2. one for the playoffs. If really look at the games the Heat are getting away with more fouls than the Mavs, at least that what it looks like but in the end it is all about Stern having his wishes come true.

12. Steve_Francis_rules

Are there opposing refs out there on the court preventing the real referees from doing their job?

A lot of the mistakes that players make during the game are caused, either directly or indirectly, by the opposing players.

13. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Yes, but you can cancel all those errors and you're still left with a lot of uncontested shots that did not went in, free throws not made, and unforced TOs. It will equal or may even surpass the ratio of bad calls called by the zebras. My drift is, they both commit mistakes during the course of the game, and I am just giving the refs the same standard and benefit of the doubt as the players.

14. VBG

VBG Member

Reffing basketball is just very very hard. Calling it rigged is generally a stupid fanboy way of looking at it.

Why have Lebron/Kobe not faced each other?

15. erimanila

erimanila Member

Miami won, so I think the officiating was fair. Most of the calls were favoring Dallas down the stretch. Plus Dallas Flops alot.

16. today

today Contributing Member

I thought that Miami was +3 or +4 in the calls for game 2, but Dallas was +5 or +6 in the calls for game 3.

Very interesting that in both cases that the road team ended up overcoming the refs to win.

17. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I honestly did not think last night was rigged until they called that Haslem "foul" on Dirk near the end of the 4th. Right then, I said, maybe these Miami people are right and that these bad/missed calls is an attempt to fix it for Dallas.

Still hoping Dallas pulls it out but I just wish the refs would let them play. Nobody enjoys watching a rigged series. Same reason I hated Miami winning in '06.

18. BleedRocketsRed

Cuz Kobe got owned.

Nothing refs could do when another team plays far superior basketball and you get blown out in an elimination game.

19. BleedRocketsRed

So Tim Donaghy is a stupid fanboy? Why don't you consider watching some Laker/Kings conf finals '03, Heat/Mavericks finals '06 hell even Rockets/Mavericks first round '05?

Then come back to this thread.

20. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

2006 was MUCH worse. Chill out Heat fans.:rolleyes: