1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

20 reasons to pull for Mavs in this Finals

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by _RTM_, Jun 3, 2011.

1. clippy

clippy Member

If it changes your opinion any, know that all obnoxious Laker fans (aka Kobe fans) are rooting for the Mavs because they are terrified that LeBron will win titles (since that's the only thing they can hold over him in the Kobe v. LeBron debates). So if the Heat win, they'll go in a hole for a while.

The enemy of the enemy is my friend.

2. clippy

clippy Member

Well, they aren't very intelligent "legit" NBA fans if they used the title argument, since Wade teamed up with Shaq, who deserved the MVP just the year before. Don't you see the circuitous logic here? Wade needed help to win. And after Shaq left, he went back to losing (much worse than LeBron, BTW).

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

I need to go to sleep now, and will continue this later even though I see no reason it should go any further... I have explained myself pretty clearly... as a true NBA fan that is how I see it. And if you're too stubborn to at least consider my POV... then too bad.

4. clippy

clippy Member

Sleep tight, but know that calling yourself a "true NBA fan" really means nothing because everyone has biases. Anyone bothering to register for a message board to discuss basketball is probably a fan of the game in some form.

5. Icehouse

Icehouse Member

What I do find funny is folks saying LeBron took the easy way out because he chose to put himself in the same position as most stars that won titles, which is playing with a lot of talent. For those who hold this theory, please list 10 title teams in the last 30 years with less talent than the current Miami Heat. I'll give you the 94 Rockets, 03 Spurs and 04 Pistons. So give me 7 more please.

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

Then why to you is Kobe vs LeBron a legit argument (if you don't want to use the title argument)? Do you really think Wade is that far off as a player from LeBron that they should never be compared? I'm sorry but that's ridiculous... Wade is too underrated by people. The fact remains is that it was debated. It was considered a rivalry by many fans. There were fans of LeBron and then there were fans of Wade. Never both. They loved to pit them against each other.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's a damn compelling reason.. but it's far outweighed in this case.

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

I'm not faulting LeBron for wanting to go to a team with talent, just not THAT kind of talent in Wade. It's like Michael Jordan joining Michael Johnson or Bird. There's a loss of respect in that.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

clippy, I don't hate the heat because the media tells me to (I still have no idea who woj is, btw). Nor do I hate LeBron because he changed teams. I would have done the same thing in his situation.

I've watched every playoff game this year and I don't like their style of play. IS THAT OKAY WITH YOU?

There's nothing wrong with hating a team here and there. Sometimes, it can be almost as much fun as loving your own team. It's all part of the fun of being a sports fan.

And LOL at the hypocrisy of Rocket fans calling anyone rooting for the mavs in this series wussies, then turning around and blaming 2005 on the refs. Only wussies blame the refs when they lose 4 our of 5 games -- the last one by 40 points.

10. clippy

clippy Member

To me, Kobe vs. LeBron isn't a legitimate argument (LeBron is far better), but its' one I've seen over and over because there are so many Kobe homers.

I agree, Wade is underrated. But he's not as good as LeBron. And Ray Allen is far more underrated. That guy, too, was always on crappy teams and never had a good sidekick (Rashard Lewis was the next best player!) until he got to the Celtics.

All I'm saying is that the KG/Allen/Pierce situation is that same thing as what LBJ/Bosh/Wade did except they were a bit older and it wasn't hyped as much. So if you hate on one you should hate on the other.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Where to begin with this one.

You realize these are title teams we're talking about, right? They are teams who are better than the majority or entire NBA. They WON championships. We should feel bad for Lebron because his team isn't quite as good as those, why? No, we're disappointed that he's throwing his lot in with them instead of exemplifying the attributes we like in sports heroes.

But wait, you have to stretch it further - now it's only valid if 33% of the teams were worse than Lebron's current team is estimated to be by you. OK, you set up a false logic game that we can't win.. but throw '06 Miami in there for good measure.

Unless you slept through last summer, you have sufficient evidence placed before you that Lebron took the easy way out like few athletes have done in sports history.

12. Outlier

Outlier Member

And all I'm saying is that LeBron joined a team with an already MVP caliber player.

13. saleem

saleem Member

There is NO reason to pull for the Mavs!

14. clippy

clippy Member

I think it's fine to hate on teams for any reason you want. But know that most people hate the Heat because of THE DECISION and THE BETRAYAL LeBron did to his beloved Cleveland fans.

Look, I'm not unbiased either. I absolutely hated the Lakers for pulling that BS trade for Gasol in 2008, which had different circumstances but ended up with a similar result (a superteam).

15. Outlier

Outlier Member

Edit:

And all I'm saying is that LeBron (an MVP caliber player) joined a team with *also* an already MVP caliber player.

16. clippy

clippy Member

Did you hate on Drexler, Barkley, and Pippen too?

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Member

Jordan, Johnson and Bird all won with better talent than Wade. Jordan had Pippen and Rodman. Bird had McHale, Parish and DJ. Magic had Kareem and Worthy.

Please identify 1 title team that Jordan, Johnson or Bird played on that has less talent than the current Miami Heat. If you can't, then how does LeBron get less respect for winning with a LESS talented team? There is no need for Jordan, Johnson or Bird to want to join up when there are already multiple HOF players on their teams.

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

Did they join up when they were in their prime?

19. clippy

clippy Member

The only way LeBron can establish himself as an all-time great is to win when he is surrounded by scrubs. He is not allowed to have good teammates. Or maybe he is only allowed to have non-superstar teammates. Or maybe he is allowed to have superstars but they have to be drafted! I'm not sure what the logic is, to be honest with you.

20. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

I won't bother with the rest but to say "LBJ would have stayed if the Cavs acquired Bosh but Bosh declined" is ridiculous nonsense at it's best.
    Bosh f&cking declined the Cavs offer because he knew he was going to sign with Miami and play with the other two amigo's. No one in their right mind can truly believe LBJ actually made a concerted effort to convince Bosh to sign with Cleveland. They were heading down south all along.