1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Larry Bird on Dirk comparisons

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Dirk can actually post up. If you leaned a broom up against Durant he would fall down.

2. Steve_Francis_rules

Bob McAdoo played his final seven years in the league when there was a three-point shot. He made a total of 3/37 in that span. Is he really the best comparison for one of the top three-point marksmen of the last decade?

3. heypartner

heypartner Member

Yeah, still, yes he is, imo

Not every team or player embraced the 3pt shot at first. Different era, coming from college backgrounds with no 3pt shot. The Lakers as a TEAM only shot 95 in each of McAdoo's first two years. In the first 4 yrs, Michael Cooper only shot a high of 21.

That's actually what makes McAdoo the comparison. He was the first big man perimeter shooter of that quality. The Laker's just weren't shooting threes (they ran and passed it to Jabbar), and besides, McAdoo's career tailed off before the 3pt era anyhow.

The one thing he didn't have was Dirk's longevity. But neither did Bird.

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

So switching out Dirk for B-Mac, the Mavs would have had the same amount of success? We're supposed to believe that? Sorry.

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

i loled. but that is 100% true. dude is skinny as a stick.

i was at vegas for memorial day and saw KD walking out of encore hotel and dude is ridiculously skinny. hopefully he can gain some strength this offseason.

also saw maynor, ibaka, and collison there.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It annoys me when people make this comparison. Bird was such a superior player to Dirk and a much more intense competitor than Dirk. Nobody in their right mind would ever think of Bird being as soft a player as Dirk has proven to be in his career. Bird is fists clenched ready to fight Dr. J and Dirk is flopper supreme.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Maybe I missed the reference, but the thread title is misleading. Nowhere did I see Bird make comparisons between his game and Nitwitski. I don't think there is a reasonable comparison to make.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

It annoys me when people exaggerate the people before, and turn them into legends like Hercules or King freakin' Arthur. The way some posters here go on and on about Bird and MJ you'd think they'd score 300 pts a game if they played today.

Its a different league nowadays, and while greats like Bird would have dominated in any era I'm pretty sure he would have had to adjust in today's league. All that toughness as you call it would be rendered useless because today's league is more about finesse and skill than grit and physicality, and Bird would have to rely more on his pure scoring and playmaking ability rather than his grit and intensity.

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Member

Whats the most common factor between Bird and Nowitzki? Great, tall, WHITE scorers.

I don't think there is anything wrong with cheering a little extra for your own race. Not too many great white basketball players nowadays, so I think its pretty natural for Bird wanting Nowitzki to succeed.

All the Asians wanted Yao to succeed.

10. durvasa

durvasa Member

[rquoter]
    Bird, though, acknowledged in a phone conversation Tuesday before Game 1 of the Finals that he does see "a lot of similarities."

"He's had a great run (in the playoffs), but I've always been very impressed with him," Bird said. "His work ethic, his loyalty to his country. It's really an honor for me to have people compare us.

"He rebounds. He plays at his own pace. He sort of controls the tempo on offense. It'd be nice to be 7 foot and when they run plays and switch (defenders) on him, it doesn't bother him at all. He can see over everybody.

"He's got the step-backs. He gets to the rim. The difficulty of some of the shots that he makes ... one thing about him is that he's always got great balance. His shot looks like he's falling away, but he's got a lot of balance when the shot goes up.

"I understand (the comparisons). I've always felt it's an honor when they compare anyone to me, because I haven't played ball for 20 years."
    [/rquoter]

11. clos4life

clos4life Member

That's a very good point. People, let caucasians have their dreams, they are people too.

1 person likes this.
  12. dback816

dback816 Member

Did you personally interview every Asian alive, from the jungles of Vietnam to the steppes of Mongolia?

13. what

what Member

Bird's psychological game was and is unmatched. Not Jordan, Magic or anybody in the history of the game had that.

Bird would make you believe that you couldn't beat him. The so called break your back shot, bird would constantly take a 3 if he thought he could gain a psychological advantage if he made it.

That said, Dirk's shot making is certainly bird like, but nobody had bird's head game.

14. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Member

LOL...my apologies.

I should have said most Chinese.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

16. BleedRocketsRed

He is no Larry Legend but he is still a true great in his own right.

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

How did I exaggerate Bird?

So you're saying one of the legendary shooters of the game, a famously mentally tough gunslinger with a sky high basketball IQ, a guy who averaged 6 assists a game from the small forward spot would have to rely on his scoring, skill level, and playmaking ability in today's game? Okay.

18. heypartner

heypartner Member

So, switching out Bird for Dirk, the Celtics would have had the same amount of success? We're supposed to believe that? Sorry.

Quit turning my point into something that it wasn't intended to mean. This isn't who is better or closest in the Best of charts. This is comparing style of play on HOF level success. McAdoo and Nowitzki have a closer style of play than Bird. We can compare Nowitzki's shooting to Bird ... that's about it.

If you're going to insist I'm trying to say that McAdoo is ranked close to Nowitzki, then I'm done talking about it.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Nowitzki made the tie-breaking layup with 3.6 seconds left, and the Mavericks roared back from 15 points down in the fourth quarter to beat the Heat 95-93 on Thursday night and tie the NBA finals at one game apiece.

Capping a furious rally by scoring Dallas' final nine points, Nowitzki made two late baskets left-handed -- despite a torn tendon on that non-shooting hand. He finished with 24 points.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=310602014

Soft and unclutch my ass.

20. BleedRocketsRed

To be fair, prior to this postseason, that was the reputation he had (with good reason).

Like LeBron, has really turned it on this season (particularly postseason, particularly in crunch time). Playing at a level I do not think that anybody has ever seen.