1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN poll for best center ever

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by johnfitz55, Jun 1, 2011.

1. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Because he changed it. Ask him why.

2. Matt Maloney

Matt Maloney Member

i can't believe they left Hasheem Thabeet off this poll

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I could be completely wrong, but I believe he added the H after reaffirming his faith to Islam.

4. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

In Olajuwon's college career and early years in the NBA, he was often undisciplined, talking back to officials, getting in minor fights with other players and amassing technical fouls. Later, Olajuwon took an active interest in spirituality,[56] becoming a more devout Muslim. On March 9, 1991, he altered his name from Akeem to the proper Arabic spelling Hakeem, saying, "I'm not changing the spelling of my name, I'm correcting it".[57] He later recalled, "I studied the Qur'an every day. At home, at the mosque...I would read it in airplanes, before games and after them. I was soaking up the faith and learning new meanings each time I turned a page. I didn't dabble in the faith, I gave myself over to it."[57] "His religion dominates his life" Drexler said in 1995.[58] Olajuwon was still recognized as one of the league's elite centers despite his strict observance of Ramadan (e.g., abstaining from food and drink during daylight hours for about a month), which occurred during virtually every season of his career. Olajuwon was noted as sometimes playing better during the month, and in 1995 he was named NBA Player of the Month in February, even though Ramadan began on February 1 of that year.[5][59]

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Is The Dream the most underrated NBA player of all time?

6. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

No

Brad Daugherty, Dirk Nowitzki, Yao and Moses Malone are far ahead of him in this nomination

7. SternSuckS

SternSuckS Member

Everyone is talking about dirk being as good as bird, no way is dirk under rated. Yao hasn't accomplished enough. Daugherty didn't play enough (same as Yao) due to injuries to be part of this list. Only Malone belongs on this list! You need to check your facts.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah. And Mourning was NEVER as good as Hakeem was in his first and second seasons. And as for Robinson - Hakeem won an MVP before Robinson did. How exactly was he not considered in the same class as Robinson until he won a championship when he won an MVP first?

Meanwhile, Ewing and Mourning were never named MVP. Were they ever even seriously considered?

9. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Yeah that comment about Hakeem peaking late and not being in the mourning/ewing/robinson class is ****ing r****ded.

You bring up some legit points, and it was also badass when Robinson won the MVP and Hakeem DESTROYED him in the playoffs.... :cool:

10. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

"Hakeem Olajuwon has gone beyond all star status, or even MVP status, to rank now among the very greatest players who have ever played the game at any position." - Bob Costas, post-game Game 4 of NBA Finals, 1995

12. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Jackie MacMullan.......everyone bombared this turd's e-mail.

13. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

WTF.

I'm emailing this person, wow.

14. rocketsmetalspd

That is an awesome cover. Oh by the way that looks like an and 1 on the dunk:grin:

15. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

My vote is for Alex English

16. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Dikembe is the most underrated NBA player (All-Star 8x, Defensive Player of the Year 4x- with 3 different teams, 2nd in Most Block Shots) and he ain't in the HOF.

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I'm looking for a new sig.

18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

no words....

19. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

He can't be in the HOF right now, he retired in 09

Reggie was eligible for the first time this year and he retired back in 05

20. snc

snc Member

He's not eligible yet, but I do agree he is underrated, probably to do with the offensive side of the court.