1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tim Donaghy: Mavs have no chance of beating Miami and the refs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheRealist137, May 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RjEz0QPjY60" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5rE102IfC98" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That was an obvious travel, and he makes a good point. Very strange how none of the analysts even mentioned it afterwards.

3. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Blablabla, missed calls go both ways.

NBA is not rigged they just have bad officiating.

4. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

It is obviously fixed. Dallas needs to play flawless.

5. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

Obvious travel.

6. durvasa

Missed calls will usually favor the stars in a tight game. And Miami will have a 3-1 edge in stars in the NBA Finals. That advantage can't be dismissed.

7. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Exactly, doesn't mean the game is fixed just stupid refs favoring star players.

8. BleedRocketsRed

You can't be serious.

This is the highest level of basketball officiating. I believe that these are the highest paid officials in the world. They are supposed to be the best in the world.

Sure they miss some calls (they are human), but overall, they know wtf they are doing, they know the rules inside out. It is quite clear that they know wtf a travel is, wtf a foul is, etc.

9. BleedRocketsRed

Favoring stars is fixing it to give a certain team/player an advantage.

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Bad officiating is missing calls throughout the game. When you consistently miss blatant calls against a certain player (LeBron) in key moments of the game, that's something that goes beyond "bad officiating" IMO.

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

A ref didn't call travel in the NBA?

How shocking

12. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

For example d wade has a reputation of driving hard to the basket and getting calls so 8 out of 10 times refs will call foul based on that reputation but now same play but different player the odds of caling foul on let's say Luther Head drops 4 out of 10.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the nba is a ****ing farce, plain and simple.

14. clos4life

clos4life Member

Tim Donaghy is saying what every real NBA fan has known for decades. A team has to play nearly perfect to beat the team that's got better stars and more support. Not necessarily because the team with the star plays better but simply because reffing favors super stars. Refs are scared to blow whistles when it's Kobe or Lebron, they don't mind calling it on 2nd tier players and below.

1 person likes this.
  15. Shaud

Shaud Member

That doesn't make it right though. A foul is a foul.

If the refs are going to bring reputation in to their calls they need to decide who has a reputation of flopping so we can eliminate all this sissy bball out there on the court.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

That is called CHEATING.

This is my biggest problem with SUPERSTARS
    If I am the defensive player. . . I have to guard a Elite Athlete
    which is bad enough
    but . .. he gets an extra step . .to palm the ball and gets bail out foul calls
    That require BEYOND excellent defense. TEXT BOOK DEFENSE does not cover that.

True they are good. . but those kind of calls are sometimes
    the difference between KMart and Dwade

Rocket River

17. durvasa

Donaghy's blog post on the upcoming series:

http://www.dannyb.info/category/donaghys-blog/

[rquoter]
    And the winner is …..

Like Groundhog Day, all over again, The Miami Heat are going up against the Dallas Mavericks in the NBA Finals. In 2006, The Heat won the Championship, four games to two, and Mark Cuban has been chafing every day since then. But this year, only time will tell if Dirk Nowitski and company can shut down the Dream Team. And while 2006 marked the year where LeBron James made his own Playoff debut with the Cavs, some say this year might have him walking away with a new shiny ring on his finger.

This matchup is turning into David Stern’s worst nightmare, as the league knows that Mark Cuban is going to be watching the officials like a hawk. Any call that does not comply with the officiating rules, as written, will be met with a huge outcry from the entire city of Dallas generally, and from Mark Cuban, specifically and loudly. Cuban will simultaneously b**** about botched calls and point out missed calls to anyone who will listen. Stern is already losing sleep over how to keep Cuban quiet.

The owner of the Heat, Mickey Arison, has Stern’s private cell phone number, and Stern always takes his call. Cuban, on the other hand, is dealt with by other league executives who can talk in circles without giving him a real answer to the hard questions. If Cuban ever did reach Stern, I imagine the conversation going something like this:

Cuban: Hey David, LeBron took three steps before he shot the winning basket!

Stern: C’mon, Mark, James is a global icon.

Cuban: David, you turd, I was screwed in 2006, cut me some slack here.

Stern: Oh Mark, don’t worry, just as I took care of Cleveland this year at the Lottery… once you learn to shut up, I’ll take care of you, too!

The way I see it, the edge goes to each team evenly, but for different reasons:

The Fans: Dallas has the edge, as the fans are both extremely knowledgeable and vocal, and the memory of 2006 is fresh in their minds.

The Owners: Miami gets the edge, as Stern does not like Cuban’s behavior. Stern will hand out fines like candy just to show everyone who is boss. Watch the front office stay very close to the officials.

The Starters: Miami has this edge with star treatment flowing to Wade and James.

The Bench: Dallas gets this edge, since Miami’s weakest link is their bench.

The Coach: Dallas has the edge with experience.

The key to this series is going to be the officiating, from start to finish. Miami’s physical style of defense always challenges the rules and if they are allowed to be as aggressive using their hands on defense, it’s going to be hard for Dallas to compete. If the rules are fairly applied and enforced the way they are written, Dallas has the best chance of a ring in the history of the franchise! And unlike 2006, any way you slice it, I don’t see Dwyane Wade walking off with the MVP title again. So, I say Dallas in 7.
    [/rquoter]

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

Refs are quick to call travel on Kmart but he gets some of the most bogus foul calls in the NBA. Him and Durant.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

****'s rigged or fixed? Tell me something new.

20. conquistador#11

"prohibits him(boozer) from playing aggressively on the defensive end." Defense and boozer do not belong in the same sentence. =)

Officiating shouldn't be that be that difficult. They do a great job at the college level, so that excuse of basketball being the most difficult game to officiate has no merit.
    It's simple. The stars get the calls but according to the commissar this is not the case.