1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you happy about Kevin McHale ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, May 27, 2011.

?

In the end, are you happy with Kevin McHale as the Rockets new Head Coach ?

1. Yes

229 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. No

187 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

except that you're their market and they're hoping you will buy tickets, ultimately.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Trolls don't merit rebuttal, they merit the ignore list, and welcome to another one. It only took you, what... 18 hours?

I hope you got paid by Morey/Rox in advance. This is another bad sign for them, that they can't even hire a good troll.

3. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

hahah owned..

4. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I am not UNHAPPY, so I voted happy.
    I don't think he is a long term answer, but he has a relatively good rep and I don't think he hurts us. I don't think the long term answer was available, short of the new-Popovich-fishing we've all heard about, which takes some luck.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yao's popularity has made them lazy, when he goes, and his fanbase dwindles, I think they will be more keen to what their buying public demands.

DD

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Grading the McHale move today is like draft day grades. Which means its basically worthless and we're just grading based on hype rather than anything concrete.

Personally, I think McHale will succeed if he can be a great "figurehead". Basically if he exudes a good amount of charisma with our players so they listen to him, then I think this is a great hire. For the gritty stuff, the Rockets can always assemble smart tactical geniuses to handle scouting/XsOs/player development. In fact, based on our front office work with drafts, trades and player development, I'd imagine this would be easy for Morey.

But the head coach needs to be someone that can keep the team together and play to their best on the court. He needs to have the respect of all the multi-millionaires and willing to go to war for him. If McHale can do that, I honestly don't care if he was one of the most horrible GMs in the past decade. He's not here as a front office guy.

7. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

Good move for one reason. Mchale had great footwork in the low post and was a defensive presence. He could work with Thabeet, Hill, Patterson in those areas. He did well with developing Al Jefferson, and Kevin Love. Would have been a great move as a big man coach, but only average as a head coach. Hopefully T-Will gets minutes now.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

agree with meh, McHale will be great for individual player development, for overall team morale and attitude. He will also be great for trades and interacting with other organizations, the guy has connections everywhere, people like him and trust him.

For game planning and lineups, that is still an unknown. It sounds like we are bringing in a solid group of assistants. I get the sense that McHale is actually in favor of this, he seems better suited for big picture stuff and probably doesn't like to get into the weeds like a Thibedeaux or Carlisle.

9. acjeitherocket

lolz...

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Are the YOFs being replaced by the MOFs?

Rocket River

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I keep hearing these reasons and they keep bothering me.
    Team Morale. . .if our team is losing. . the BUMP MORALE!!
    they need to WIN!! .. .

"Accomplish something .. then have pride in it!"

Connections? Wait I thought he had a Wizard for a GM . . now he needs McHale to get his foot into the door? WHAT? Did I miss something?

McHale won't be 'Really' coaching .. but will just sort of just be a figure head.
    WOW! That is just. . .WOW! I think everyone in Clutchfans could do that job then!

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  12. Chris Jent MVP

there's 11 billion of us and we are going to vote mchale into all star game. we are legion.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

It's pretty obvious. Most Adelman criticisms center around his trying too hard to win every game last year at the expense of the "development" of so-called younger talent. You know, basically the opposite of "giving up". Then you have this troll, polluting the board non-stop with 50-60 posts in a day promoting the lunatic fringe notion that it was Adelman who quit last year, not the organization by trading away rotation players for financial reasons and that the slow start to the season was Adelman's fault, and not the organization's for insisting on controlling rotations and messing up chemistry with a minute mandate for Yao Ming (not to mention injuries to Brooks and Lowry). Who do these irrational criticisms sound eerily similar to? Who do we know that has had unreasonable expectations for the last 3 really good Rocket coaches in a row now? Who do we know that had to be talked out of firing Rick a month or two into the season? Who got up and stormed out of the TC when Rick played Yao 10 minutes in a row in pre-season? I'm sure the troll isn't getting paid that much and in fact was probably low-balled into a short-term deal for low dollars, but I think it's pretty clear who's signing his checks.

14. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

Yeah I'm with the people that believe we can't really make any grades until we see a full season. If it's a complete flop, it's all on Morey.

But having said all that, they didn't pass on a "sure thing" coach this trip around. So any coach we could've hired we ran the risk of him not working out.

15. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

The problem is you and Daryl Morey are the only ones who feel Adelman under achieved. Roster management? Lmao. Who exactly do you believe Adelman should've played more that would've gotten us to the playoffs? 95% of the games we played we were less talented than the other team. So im not sure but it sounds like your blaming Adelman for the losing while conveniently excluding Morey from the equation. Does 30 transactions in two years with no roster stability is doesn't fall on the coaching staff?

16. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

It's definitely worrisome. While Dallas & San Antonio are consistently moving forward, we're firing HOF coach's for unqualified figureheads. It seems the organization & Morey are preparing to tank for the next 5 years. This is an all time low point for Houston Rocket fans

17. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

Adelman didn't underachieve, but unless we were going to make another move to get another "star"... there was no point in him being the coach. Don't get me wrong, I would've loved to have him here... we're going to be a 30 win team next year most likely without him.

18. albuster

albuster Member

I hope he is not a paid FO hack to spew the Rockets' propaganda line. If this is the case then it shows how desperate the FO is and it also shows that they would do anything, underhanded or something more sinister, just to turn the growing tide of negative public opinion.

Goodbug defending Kobe is something else and is not suspicious at all. But this guy, if found to be a Rockets paid hack, should not be tolerated in this board. I joined CF with the belief that this is absolutely a bbs for real fans and not a propaganda or marketing tool of the Rockets with paid professional posters.

19. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

i dont think they're hoping. they know that ppl will buy tickets regardless. e.g. L.A. Clippers. The real fans help keep a team afloat maybe even turn a profit and the bandwagoners help you turn a healthy profit. They will show up to the Miami, NY, LA, games every year anyway (in support of the away team, but still spending money).

i've been a Clippers fan for over a decade. I remember the empty arena games. a handful of us and Darrell Bailey. They turned a profit. It isnt me the mgmt is trying to sell. Pretty sure mgmt is still looking for the golden boy to replace Yao. So that they can get more bandwagoners.

20. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I always vote to support something and make some nice comments about it initially. Then my true feelings come out later in my posts. So we will see? Not sure?????