1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets looking to sell high on "Impactful Veteran Help" to Kings for higher pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 20, 2011.

1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i bet the kings will trade the pick if they can't get a quality PG or SF.

scola and #23 for #7 and their second rounder might work. if they took brad miller's contract i might consider keeping #23 and giving them #14.

if Valanciunas or kanter are available i think it's worth a roll of the dice.

2. Rockets_4_life

sigh...

Including Scola is an addition by subtraction move (just like battier), and IMO your wrong about Lowry vs Kemba.

In comparison(from watching both play); Kemba is the better isolation player(by a wide margin), and has a tighter handle. Allowing him to cut through defenses without committing a turnover, which allows him to create plays for others with his court vision. His also laterally quicker, and a better overall athlete, allowing him to stay in front of his man on the defensive end. He can also create space at an elite level, either it be of the dribble or by using his step back, making him very valuable in clutch moments. Not to mention his also younger and on a cheaper contract.

Of course with that said Lowry is in his prime, while Kemba is barely going to start his career. So without a doubt Lowry will have the better year coming up, but in the long run, I have little doubt, that Kemba will be the better player. Which is what the rockets are looking for, the better long term impact.

I know nobody on this board even wants to consider moving Lowry, specially after the year he just had. But by the same token, many on this board thought the same about Aaron Brooks last year who was also only 25 at the time. Lets not repeat our same mistakes again, lets trade our assets with limited upside while they still have high market value.

Ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but what aspect of his game do you not see translating to the NBA?

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Good points, but i always thought we should sell high on brooks because he was a one-dimensional player. Lowry's game is so much more well rounded. He's improved his greatest weakness, which was his shooting. He does all of the important little things you need your floor leader to do. And he's very solid on the defensive side of the ball. I agree that if we are far away from contending, we can't ignore and opportunity to replace him with Kemba and trade him for a great young player at a position of need. But by that rational, we should be moving guys like Martin and Scola long before we think about moving Lowry. I also would be concerned about team moral. With the youth we already have, and the chemistry that we have, I don't see how Chuck or Lowry are trade-able. Those are the leaders. Those guys have the hard-nose mentality that we need to bring the best out of our younger guys.

4. Nook

Nook Member

What makes you think Walker has a higher ceiling? He is 5'11" and his natural position is shooting guard. He needs to dominate the ball to be effective. He is not a good defender, and not a very good shooter %-wise.

Age is not really an issue, as Lowery is still young.

5. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Lowry is 24, that means he's about 3-4 years away from entering his prime.

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I didn't like that he was one of the older players in college ball who looked really good in a very shallow year talent wise. He is a pretty small guy over all and I don't think he will ever see the court or rebound as well as lowry.

The other thing is while I was extremely impressed with how he lead his team to that amazing run to end the season, I feel some are just immediately believing he will be able to carry a team like that in the pros, when I just don't see it being as easy when NBA defenses are trying to stop him.

If his scoring, especially his clutch scoring translate into the nba to go along with his athletic ability he COULD become a great player, but he still isn't a a good enough bet to me.

And let me remind you that there was a sizable group of people who wanted our back up to start after Brooks' "breakout" season, not saying everyone wanted brooks traded, but thought lowry showed that he deserved a shot. Just because they are both viewed as breakout seasons doesn't mean that you should view them in the same light. I feel completely different after Lowrys 1st full season as a starter compared to AB's.

Lowry has the tools to be one of the most complete point guards in the game if he can keep up that amazing pace he ended the season on. Just not willing to make that bet on Kemba Walker when we have a guy who has shown what he has shown at the pro level, is only 25 and locked up to an excellent contract.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Kemba is the better isolation player... but his fg% is lower than Lowry's. Also, Lowry had more assists last year, and a better assist-to-turnover ratio. Lowery has the better handle.

Simply, Lowery is the better point guard, and the measurables back it up. Further more, Lowry was the more efficent scorer.

Don't agree that Walker is the better athlete. Lowry is bigger, stronger and just as explosive. Defensively Kemba is not even close to Lowry.

Lowery just turned 25 years old in March, he is still a young player, not that much older than Kemba.

Kemba is a volume scorer, that has a low fg%... a recipe for failure in the current NBA. He is a natural shooting guard, but at 5'11" is forced to play the point position, another major red flag....

I don't mind trading Lowry, but not for Kemba Walker. As for what aspect of his game not translating.... I don't know, what could possibly go wrong having a 5'11" shooting guard playing out of position, who requires isolation to score, does not shoot well, does not create for other players, has bad shoot selection and requires a lot of shots to be effective????

8. Nook

Nook Member

You either cannot read or choose not to read anything I wrote... I never said Rose shouldn't dominate the offense the way he does.

Either way, you are a complete waste of my time and effort.

9. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

The only player from Europe to even think about trading Scola for is Vesely. Motiejunas, Kanter, Valanciunas - no. Absolutely not.

10. Rockets_4_life

Yeah that tends to happen when one player has to carry an offense and the other is simply a distributor with the occasional scoring. Oh but wait, you think comparing the stats of two PG's in completely different situations, justifies one being better than the other. Okay, buddy..

As far as the higher assist, I mean seriously, who would have Kemba even passed it to? the freshmen Jeremy Lamb? or sophomore Alex Oriakhi?

Kemba measured a legit 6'1 at the combine, making him the same size or slightly taller than Lowry. As far as athleticism goes Kemba is the better athlete, but I'll just wait for the athletic measurements to come out, in a couple of days, to prove you wrong.

I will give you one thing though, Lowry is better at absorbing contact at the rim, and that's without a doubt.

The age difference in the NBA, is pretty tricky. The exact age difference between Kamba and Lowry is 4 years and 2 months. Which isn't a big deal in life, but in the NBA it can be significant.

Look at it like this. When we become contenders(for the whole damn thing) down the line, lets say in 4 yrs, would you rather have a 25yr old entering his prime, or a 29yr old PG, who would just be a year away from being on the wrong side of 30.

The whole shooting guard thing is complete asinine. Anyone who watched UCONN, knows that Kemba early on had to take a ton of shots. He was in a position where he had to carry the offense. He had a very young team, it wasn't until the big east tournament that the younger players started to produce on a consistent basis and you saw Kemba defer to them a lot more. As far as shot selection, he improved during the season, and openly admitted at the combine that its one of the things that he will continue to work on.

He was also told in the interviews he had with teams(which include the Rockets) that they have no doubt they'll he'll be able to play Point Guard in the NBA.

I'll give you one thing though, Kemba does dominate the ball. But then again so does every other great PG in the NBA. If you look down the line, players that dominate the ball include Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, etc.

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

compare usage rate to assist rate on those guys

player assist rate/usage rate

nash - 41.9/23.0
    paul - 38.0/22.2
    williams - 32.5/25.9

those 3 all have a ratio greater than 1. Yea they have the ball more than most, but they also create for others more.

rose - 22.7/31.3
    westbrook - 25.2/30.8

these two have ratios under 1. They do far more creating for themselves than others. ball dominaters.

all good players, but don't lump the great floor generals together with the super elite athletes who happen to play the same position.

Another reason I like lowry so much. He does his job as a pg. Yes I would trade lowry for rose or westbrook in a damn heart beat, but kemba walker is not rose or westbrook.

12. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

There are two player who if they are there I would definately do it for. I dont think they will be. Enes Cantor and Jonas Valanciunas. If they are there? Alot of trades make sense.

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Dude! Don't even bother, you're seriously wasting your time with this kid. Asanine is the exact word to be used when dealing with him.

Once someone starts comparing Tyreke Evans to Derrick Rose & Dwayne Wade you should be done with arguing. Just leave it alone cause there really is no point.

14. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Yeah if Kanter falls or Jonas is available then we could do it, those are the only two besides Williams we should trade up for.

15. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

lol you’re trippin. Kanter or Valanciunas are definitely worth picking.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This, or trade our players for 2012 picks and go super-tank mode.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

:confused:Don't get it. On either player.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The only reason why Battier doesn't look like an addition by subtraction is because DM went for the wrong guy in Thabeet. The idea of moving Shane in order to acquire talent was absolutely correct. A few more games and a 1st round flame out with Shane wouldn't have been worth it. Scola falls into a similar category. They shouldn't go after the next ''Thabeet'' for him though. A good young role player who fits in, should be the way to go.

#198 saleem, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
  19. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

If kanter or valanciunas is there at 7 i would trade lowry in a heart beat, the point guard position is easy to replace.

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

Kings need veteran help?

Anyone want to send the Maloofs a couple of Brad Miller highlight tapes? ;)