1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Goldman Sachs vs. The People

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, May 17, 2011.

1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Granted, the author is known to have an obsession with Goldman Sachs, and you definitely cannot define this as objective reporting. However, if true (and it rather does seem like it is), this is explosive stuff.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-people-vs-goldman-sachs-20110511?print=true&

Hopefully, this makes some people think and riles them up for some action. In many ways, you are all victims of this crime. American taxpayers deserve better. It is clear that the banks cannot be trusted to regulate themselves, and that the unchecked power and influence such firms as Goldman have in Washington have come at the cost of graft and perjury that has cost American children the opportunity to live debt-free, and American workers the chance at a secure and prosperous job.

2. lpbman

lpbman Member

Wasn't most of this in The Big Short by Lewis?

It's been a while, and I can't remember if they called out GS by name, but how the fraud went down was in there.

3. Northside Storm

This goes into specifics, and targets names and emails obtained from a formal investigation.

Big Short was more like-well, this happened, maybe we should do something about it. Broader scope.

This nails specific instances and is something that would be admissible in court and should be, if the American people prod a frustratingly passive DOJ and SEC to pursue these crimes. It pretty much is the work the Big Short was implicitly demanding someone to do.

I doubt it happens given the entrenched connections within all levels of government that Goldman has, but this works us very much closer to specific instances of criminal fraud that cannot be ignored, rather than a general sense that something is wrong.

4. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

sickening, and not at all shocking. The fact that they were allowed and trusted to police themselves is a joke, and one that pretty much tells you in advance how much trouble they will get in for this.

5. lpbman

lpbman Member

6. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

From what I've read, everything Matt Taibbi wrote is fully backed up by the congressional report. There's a reason analysts started issuing sell recommendations on GS stock after it was published.

7. Northside Storm

If Congress has the balls to persecute Roger Clemens for something as trivial as bulking up, and to indict him for perjury, well they better shape up in this case.

8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

The Misrememberer doesn't have the same pull as GS.

Hell, that was probably just smokescreen to keep them from getting after their money friends.

9. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I doubt anything will happen.

Just remember, we had to bail them out. Sick.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If I recall correctly we didn't have to bail Goldman Sachs out but the Treasury insisted they take TARP money to make it more palatable to the markets.

That said I agree stuff like this is sickening and its sad that there are still many who are insisting we don't need more regulation or even that we should deregulate more.

11. Northside Storm

no, we were too busy bailing out Goldman Sachs victims like Morgan Stanley instead. GS was fine---they were the deceivers, and not the deceived.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They got bailed out indirectly via aig.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

They were going to be probably the last domino to fall, but they would have fallen. It was a systemic collapse - and they were at the very center of the sytem. Hedging your bets is meaningless if your counterparties are erased.

14. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I think this was also neatly summarized in The Big Short.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That might've happened but I recall them, GS, not wanting to take TARP money and only doing so because the Treasury wanted them to. I'm not defending GS but they weren't asking for a bail out and I didn't think we needed too, at the time.

16. SamFisher

Then I can conclude that GS' PR messaging people did a great job if that's all you remember, and I should make sure to figure out who they are and recommend them to others.

17. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

If AIG was not bailed out, GS would have gone down quickly.

18. SamFisher

GS PR response: We only had like a few billion in AIG, most of which was hedged (strategically omitted: Hedging was by parties who were directly or indirectly exposed to AIG)

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I once had to deal professionally with GS and the bankers I dealt with were an amazing combination of cluelessness and unbelievable arrogance. I must admit that it pisses me off that these jerks make such extreme amounts of money.

20. Northside Storm