1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. ROCKETS GAMEDAY
    The Rockets hope to rebound (no pun intended) after that brutal loss to Charlotte when they take on Ja Morant and the Grizzlies tonight. Come join us live at 7:00pm CT!

LIVE! Rockets vs. Grizzlies

[tnt] TNT Crew talk about the Rockets coaching prospects

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Member

Chuck is so jealous of the rings, I can't blame him but it's getting pathetic.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Yeah just winning 43 games this season, young, talented team, lots of draft picks, great cap flexibility, etc....

Yeah you and Charles are right... the ship is sinking.

But you are an expert and scapegoating Morey because the organization didn't re-hiring Rick Adelman. Who until the all-star break, was kicking himself out the door with a very poor season on the brink, terrible defensive preparation, turmoil in the locker room, and engaged with the media verbally against what the front office wanted to do.

He's a great coach, and deserves to be in the hall-of-fame, but he was underperforming as a coach until the all-star break moves which ignited a massive winning streak largely due to opening up playing time for players that Rick Adelman wasn't even playing before the trade. Now everyone on clutchfans fell in love with him because of the last two months of the season.

And Rep AELLIOT for the very nice breakdown of active coaches who are having success currently.

FYI - Charles HATES Les Alexander and the Rockets front office (who ironically werent even there during his fallout with Les) because he thinks they owe him money from his final year, when actually he should be blaming himself, his agent and lawyer for the mishap in his contract that excluded him from something around 3 million dollars. He signed the contract, but like a true primadonna blames everyone else but himself.

3. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I dont get Charles Barkleys hate for the Rockets. They are young and up and coming. He didnt win a ring because Micheal Jordan was better and Hakeem Olajuwon was better. Was not Phoenix or Houstons fault. We won one without him and its arguable we would have been better off not trading for him.

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Member

Reading comprehension fail?? Pizza_Da_Hut was DISAGREEING with Charles. Pizza said that we were more like Major League, where we blew at the beginning in comical fashion, and then all of a sudden clicked and went on a massive run to end the season in a flourish.

5. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Member

Now THAT is a good post! Nice job, aelliott!

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I am confused... I don't think the ship is sinking. I think we are in a rather good position to surprise a lot of people, i.e. Major League. A team of under preforming nobodies come together to prove their owner wrong. They go on to the world series where they lose mightily. I think that's more indicative of where we're going.

Charles is just sour milk toward this team because Yao is not up to par. We need someone to take Yao's place as our superstar, but I don't think it's all gloom and doom as Charles was letting on...

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

For some reason I was taking it as they were the laughing stock of the league, with the b****y owner lady trying to screw all the players and coaches.

However I could definitely see the comparison of Adelman and Coach Lou Brown, and Chuck Hayes and Jake Taylor the Catcher. Great movie, terrible sequal.

8. crash5179

crash5179 Member

It always amazes me how a reputation can take a life of its own regardless of the facts.

Carl Landry got significant playing time as a rookie
    Luis Scola started the season as a rotation player as a rookie
    Aaron Brooks got some significant playing time as a rookie
    Chase Budinger started the season as a rotation player as a rookie
    Patrick Patterson got significant playing time as a rookie
    Jordan Hill got significant playing time as a rookie

Rick Adelman appears to be a classic example of a coach that does in fact play rookies.

2 people like this.
  9. inishi

inishi Member

I think you forgot to mention that all of those coaches are winning with teams stacked with star/all star/ superstar talent. That might help those unproven coaches. If you think an assistant coach is going to come in and lead this team to contender status in the west, you are in for a rude awakening.

1 person likes this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Brilliant post! Great 'reset'.

11. inishi

inishi Member

The ignorant criticism that RA doesn't play rookies is used just as often, and is just as wrong as the criticism that Rick is a bad defensive coach. Both are wrong, and there is proof to back them up. Most people really have no clue what they are talking about, and don't know much about basketball.

12. giddyup

giddyup Member

No one has mentioned this specifically but Charles blurted out "Is Yao Ming walking through that door?" while Kenny or Ernie was talking. It would seem that CB doesn't expect Ming to return to form and without him the Rox are hurting at the Center position.

Yes we have no All-Stars but these guys (Frank, McHale and Casey) have all been Head Coaches. I think aelliot's sub-text is that most coaches get fired. Adelman just got fired for all intents and purposes, but he will land on his feet in the league again if he wants to.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Interesting . . . Rockets just following the leaders I guess.

Do what others are doing. . . .
    which
    would be great if they hired SAM CASSELL!

Rocket River

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Charles speaks the truth, and the truth hurts. Until Morey proves otherwise, we are mediocre to the max.

15. giddyup

giddyup Member

The only place Houston comes in before Memphis and Oklahoma City is in the dictionary. Ouch!

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Although I don't know what happened behind closed doors, I always got the impression Morey wanted JVG back and Les didn't. I thought Morey fought to get him an extension?

I did hear Van Gundy say something along the lines of, "Morey fired me" while telling a joke, seemed like a jab, so who knows...

17. makman

makman Member

Glad someone finally said it. This team is more on the decline from mediocrity really. Morey is trying to bring his affiliation with Boston here and I have yet to see true progress in any sense.

18. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

Yup,
    I think Charles answer is based on that the Rockets don't have a dominant player anymore. I don't think it's based on the team or city.

19. BeARocketsFan

BeARocketsFan Member

You can add Jason Williams who started as a rookie.

Peja Stojakovic and Hedo Turkoglu got playing time to develop and became starters.

But Adelman won't play guys who are just too raw or too stupid.

20. solid

solid Member

On the money, excellent post.