1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justice: DM & Alexander didn't want to keep Adelman, coaching search down to two

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, May 4, 2011.

1. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Well the ariza trade was a cost saving move, one your obviously downplaying. Morey traded a starting SF for a undersized backup SG who's much cheaper. Considering how badly Budinger struggled earlier in the season offensively & defensively, also Battier getting older, we actually missed Ariza earlier when we were having chemistry issues. As a 3rd option Ariza's a better player than anybody we had at the SF position last year.

Cost saving move=Bad trade

Getting Thabeet did absolutely NOTHING for us. Trading for TWill was a lateral move with no significance. Trading Brooks was good short term, but Brooks will be better long term.
    I won't say those were bad, but lateral moves doing absolutely nothing for us in the future. Adelman wanted real talent not unproven "assets" who'll eventually lead to more assets.

Bottom line: WE'RE GOING NOWHERE. Adelman saw this, wanted more and Morey's searching for NBDL coaches who'll allow him to make 30 more transactions and progress. Still not on Adelman, all he did is win

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

How is this statement not disingenuous?

3. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Just to be clear, we've evolved from you saying "most of Morey's moves were about $ than winning" to you naming ONE trade in the last year that you consider a cost-saving move. Clearly, most of his moves were more about winning than saving money.

Second, if we trade Luis Scola for Blake Griffin + expiring, that's a cost saving move. Is that still a bad trade? No? Then I guess cost saving move can't = bad move all the time.

Finally.. are you really saying you'd rather have Ariza than Lee? You think our struggles in the beginning of the year had to do with Ariza and not.. I don't know, just guessing... our schedule, Yao's limitation on minutes, Yao's limitation on back-to-backs, Kyle Lowry's early injury, Aaron Brooks' extension disappointment, and Aaron Brooks' early injury? If you believe that Ariza is a better player than Lee, then you're free to have an opinion -- but I suspect you'll have quite a few people disagree with that.

Getting Thabeet allowed us to give more minutes to Budinger and Lee, who are head and shoulders above Battier on offense. The Battier trade was not a $ saving move, it was a $ costing move so that doesn't exactly fit in with your original comment. I think we were actually a better team without Shane, due to having a player capable of playing offense at our SF position for the entire game.

I actually agree with you about Brooks -- I worry about him being a more talented player than Dragic in the long term.

I think you have your bottom line backwards. Here's how I perceive the bottom line: MOREY saw this team going no where and relayed to Rick that he intended to further tweak the roster to make it championship caliber. RICK wanted to some continuity and was content adding a center and fighting for the playoffs.

Win now vs. Win big.

Please, don't let me stop you from being specific. Which moves and/or front office decisions are the reason we're stuck? I'll hang up and listen.

1 person likes this.
  4. worzel gummidge

I'm stepping aside. Your posts are too passive agressive for me to handle :)

5. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I just wanted to clarify if you're talking about the same Trevor Ariza who came very close to achieving the worst offensive season by anyone in about 30 years when he was playing with CHRIS PAUL. Thanks.

6. vince

vince Member

Yeah, it had to be Steve Francis... I remember too many times that he meesed up the tempo of the game - how soon some of us forget about over dribbling. And let's not forget about how Francis liked to hold the ball and dribble so that would set up his game winning shot.

Francis for as talented as he was was a glory seeker - and that is something point guards should not be. Too bad because Baron Davis and Andre Miller who were not half as talented as Francis are still going strong.

7. KGdaBoss

KGdaBoss Member

I believe the thinking behind the battier trade, the ariza trade, and aaron brooks trade was to get more playing time and experience for the likes of budinger, lowry, lee, among others. There's no point of having a bunch of guys with "potential" or "unproven" if they never have a chance to play. In a way, I believe morey believed in some of the "assets" we have on our team, and was finding ways to turn these assets into proven commodities. Does that make any sense? :confused:

8. DragonGirl

DragonGirl Member

You guys are really silly for missing Brooks. Morey took best trade he could get before he lost him for nothing. Ask Suns fans what they think of Brooks lol. I told them no tradebacks because I am used to Clutchfans board and I like. :)

Anyway, most of Morey's moves seemed to be good ones and I don't know how people are criticizing someone so much with great track record.

What I disagree with is portraying situation like Adelman had to go for sake of rebuild. And now we hear report about adding 30 year old center and trying to make playoffs. Seems like exact opposite of rebuild to add old center as temporary band-aid for eighth seed and lost pick. Yuck.

1 person likes this.
  9. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Finally an update on the coaching situation. Down to 2 and roughly one week left until they make their decision.

Then comes the draft. I hope they land at least 3-4 guys - mainly Kawi Leonard and Lucas Noguiera or Chris Singleton and Biyombo. I want all 4.

Free Agency might not start until Feb - WHOA!!! I really hope the players and owners can settle on something quick. I think Dalembert would be a better option than Chandler who is too injury prone.

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Problem is we're not the only team that wants Dalembert, and NYK looks more attractive sports-wise.

11. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Pierce, Rondo, Avery Bradley and Glen Davis are the only ones on the Celtic roster who have always been Celtics.

Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett were acquired 4-5 years ago. They along with Pierce and Rondo form the core of that team.

Everyone else has been acquired within the last couple of years:

Arroyo
    J Green
    N Krystic
    T Murphy
    J O'Neal
    S O'Neal
    Sasha P
    V Wafer
    D West

Morey has been trying unsuccessfully to get his Garnett which helps the rest come together. Where the Celtics were in their championship year is where the Rockets want to be in a year or two.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Why would you experiment as a coach when you have no contract for the next year and no indication that one was forthcoming?

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'm sure at the trade deadline with no contract for next year, the coach would prefer minimal moves. That's what any coach would want. I'm sure if Morey wanted to make some moves to improve the team, say, IN THE OFF-SEASON, when moves are generally made, Rick would be all for it. That actually gives him time to build a team.

I wouldn't really pay much attention to what Morey says here. He gave everyone a bunch of b.s. when they got rid of Van Gundy also. He says they need "several more moves" but then says his direction from the owner is win now and Justice says he feels pressure to make the playoffs. The owner wanted to fire the coach during the season. All the comments out of the FO since he was actually dismissed have been to justify that. The owner actually thinks Rick was keeping the Rockets from winning. That's the bottom line. Everything else is p.r.

14. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I'd love to get him signed if he continued to play like that. The problem is I see that as contract year play. Sad fact is he couldn't even muster up the motivation to play the whole year like that - only the final weeks was there a fire under his ___.

We need a C bad but I don't want to overpay for a hard to motivate 30 year old. Miller money. That's all I'd offer him.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

Because not "experimenting" or using all the resources the FO provides you is one of the main reasons why you don't have a contract for the next year in the first place.

16. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Cost saving or not, Ariza was utter crap. His shot selection was horrible, he would take alot of boneheaded shots, rarely attacked the rim, he gambled too much on defense.

Mark my words: Ariza will never be half the player Lee is right now.

17. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

BOS will soon be needing to go younger themselves.

When we find our core--those superstars that we can build the team around--then we will have a measure of stability. Keep the core guys and upgrade the role players.

Look at LA, they've kept their--Kobe, Pau, Bynum, Odom, Fisher. Problem is they have a weak supporting cast that can't stand up to the upgraded rosters of other teams.

18. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

rock4ever, if you object to management's moves this vehemently, go root for some other team. Please ...

19. kovacs242

kovacs242 Member

Wow. Sound logic.

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Why would Rick object to trades at the deadline if they improved the team? I can understand if Rick felt that Morey pulled the rug from under him, but IMO both trades improved the 2010 roster.

Moreyite. :)