1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justice: DM & Alexander didn't want to keep Adelman, coaching search down to two

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, May 4, 2011.

1. qwerty

qwerty Contributing Member

I'm good with Chris Finch if he brings David Brent along. I hear David Brent has experience as a manager and is looking for a new job.

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

sounds like both coaches are in the playoffs right now.

i'm thinking shaw and frank are the ones that separated themselves.

3. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Aldeman was probably showing the middle finger to Morey.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

You think so? I get the opposite feeling.

RJ mentioned they had a flight yesterday at 5am, wouldnt surprise me if they went to go meet with Shaw.

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Don't worry, I got that part just fine. Did you get the part about why they didn't want Adelman back? It was because of their different views on where the team is at.

Exactly. Which is why I believe that isn't what they are trying to do anymore. That they have figured out that it is much too difficult a strategy, or simply not a strategy worth pursuing now that Yao is out of the question. They have decided to change course, which means lots of changes. Changes that may not all mean trading current players for immediate upgrades. Knowing that, Adelman clearly does not support the direction and would rather JUST get a center and try his luck in the playoffs. As the head coach in charge or doling out minutes, that is kind of a big deal.

They asked him to mentor a young coach BECAUSE they did not have him in their future plans. They did not have him in their future plans BECAUSE they did not agree with him on the future of the franchise. Is the owner of the team or the general manager of the team not ALLOWED to have that opinion? Is it really Rick Adelman calling the shots? Of course not, which is why he is allowed to have any opinion he would like, on another team willing to indulge in his philosophies.

Then what do you suggest is the "truth"?

#105 CXbby, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
  6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Again i say, Mike Woodson it is.

7. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

I don't understand why people are so upset that the management wanted someone else to be successor for the head coach. If you view Rockets as a business then the owner of the company has every right to designate someone else as a successor. I think what we are seeing here is a clash between ego and resistant to change. Adelman has his own guys he wants to work with and he is not willing to compromise and train some other person.

Les hired Morey from outside of our organization, instead of promoting some one from within to be the GM. That worked out well. In my mind, as long as Adelman gets his guys as assistants, he shouldn't have any problem taking someone else under his wings.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Didn't you notice that they had not wanted him back BEFORE Morey and Adelman talked. Why would Morey be surprised by Adelman's desire to come back if they really planned on retaining him?

Exactly. What coach would want to stay if he knew he was not in their future?

Who said they were not allowed to have that opinion? Honestly, put down you Morey glasses and think. Is it not insulting to ask someone, "We want you to build the team for us and we'll want you out of the way after you have done that"?

Isn't it obvious already? They just don't want Adelman anymore but don't want to look bad letting him go.

9. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

I think the safest way for Morey-supporters to shape the debate is to shift the focus off Morey and on Adelman, misrepresenting his intentions. The Rockets have made 30 transactions in two years and arguably less talented. All Adelman wanted was some say in who goes and who stays. If your GM's only making lateral moves and not communicating with the coach, then that's poor management.

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

I did notice. They don't have to have a heart to heart to know that they are not on the same page.

Like I said, they did not have him in their future BECAUSE they do not agree with him on the future of the franchise. That was a pretty key point.

Oh. Put down your Morey glasses? And the gloves come off. ;)

Like you have noticed, they have somewhat decided to not bring Adelman back long before that. Now maybe they came up with the whole mentoring thing to make themselves look better so that it seems "mutual". Or maybe they genuinely wanted to compromise given Adelman's insistence. Either way, I agree with you that it was most likely insulting. And that doesn't matter one bit. The reason why Adelman is not coming back isn't because he got insulted. It was because he was never in their plans to begin with BECAUSE of a difference in philosophy.

That makes no sense. Not the "don't want to look bad" part, that is perfectly plausible. But the don't want Adelman part. Yes they don't want Adelman, that much is clear. But WHY? Because they don't agree with him! Back to square one.

11. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Again, your misrepresenting Adelman's position

You can't have 30 transactions in two years and expect to win. The problem is most of Morey's moves were more about $$$ than winning. Adelman's a winner, Morey's a salesman. Lateral moves don't make a team better, they keep you mediocre. Adelman wanted Morey to put some real talent on the court, Morey hasn't done that. That's not on Adelman

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Eh, I'm not sure it's even an ego thing. I am totally fine with Adelman only wanting to work with whoever HE wants to work with. I am even more fine with management wanting whoever THEY want to coach THEIR team. Which is why Adelman will have any assistants he will like next year, coaching another team. I agree that I don't get what the big hoopla is about. I think I even made a thread about just that.

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

What am I misrepresenting?

You can't have 30 transactions and expect to win? Are you just pulling things from your butt? Boston has already debunked that myth. And BTW -- KEVIN MARTIN WAS ONE OF THOSE 30!! If only Morey wouldn't have made so many moves, we could've been winning with Tmac's corpse and Landry!!

If most of Morey's moves were about winning and not money, show me which trades he made that were purely $ driven and hurt the franchise. Trading Ariza for Courtney Lee? Nope, that was a pretty good trade. What about shipping out Brooks for Dragic? Nope, that improved the team as well. Well I guess.. Battier for Thabeet? Wait.. didn't we take on MORE money in that deal? And didn't that free up an opportunity for Budinger to play bigger minutes and make our offense that much better? Guess we can't count that one either.

Please explain your reasoning that Morey's moves have hurt the franchise. Try to avoid cliches like "$ decisions" and show me which trades he should not have made.

1 person likes this.
  14. worzel gummidge

Boston's core group has remained the same.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

Rafer Alston for Kyle Lowry. The starting PG on a 50 win team for a cheap backup on a loser.

Vspan for Luis Scola. A budding star traded for some inknown international commodity. Not smart.

Bouncy Whales for Bobby Jackson for Ron Artest. That didn't amount to much. Advancing in the playoffs after 10 years of futility is overrated.

Carl Landry for Kevin Martin. I know we saved money there. Somehow.

Morey's got money on his mind and his mind on his money. In fact if you change one letter in his name Morey becomes Money. Wait... remind me why are we responding to this rookie again?

EDIT:

Oh. Me and my Morey glasses again. I should watch myself before it acts up next time. ;)

#115 CXbby, May 5, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011
  16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Are you suggesting we should've kept our Yao and McGrady core the same? :confused:

I don't think you are.. I think you realize that the Martin trade was a no-brainer.. so I'm really confused at what people are complaining about. Actually, I'm not confused -- they're complaining about the quantity of transactions and not the quality of them. That just doesn't sound like a good argument against Morey to me.

17. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Well the ariza trade was a cost saving move, one your obviously downplaying. Morey traded a starting SF for a undersized backup SG who's much cheaper. Considering how badly Budinger struggled earlier in the season offensively & defensively, also Battier getting older, we actually missed Ariza earlier when we were having chemistry issues. As a 3rd option Ariza's a better player than anybody we had at the SF position last year.

Cost saving move=Bad trade

Wha

18. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

clearly, some fans don't know what the princeton offense is. the princeton offense doesn't need superstar. everyone involves the offense and everyone shares responsibility. everyone is equal and no one looks superior to others. even you are a superstar. if you play for ra, you become a good player coz the princeton offense doesn't need a dominant player.

19. arjun

arjun Member

uh trevor ariza is GARBAGE....

20. worzel gummidge

The Rockets are stuck in suck because of Alexander's and the FO's decisions. It was pretty disingenuous of Morey to counter a fair comment by bringing up Boston.