1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Engagement Ring

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LAFIRMA22, May 2, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Just make sure it costs two months' salary.

That's what really matters.

2. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

You shoulda wrapped that willy.

I bought mine here ten years ago: http://www.dbof.com/about/

They set it, and shipped it to me; sight unseen. When my wife had it appraised, they asked if I was Asian (because apparantly, Asians are the only ones who buy diamonds of that quality). That being said, I learned a valuable lesson. I put too much empahsis on clarity. In fact, with regards to the four C's, I probably ranked them: Clarity, Color, carat weight, cut.

YOU should rank them:

1) Carat weight (let's face it........the lady wants a big rock, and once it is set, it's darn hard to see any defects as that rock is swinging around on her finger)
    2) Cut (so important as to how a diamond looks)
    3) color (although I ranked it as third, don't get TOO crappy of a color)
    4) clarity

3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Actually, I got married almost eleven years ago, and I was engaged for at least a year............and I think I asked for this very same advice on clutchcity.com

4. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

OK, thanks. I can see how a chain would rip you off.

Don't really understand the tacky bit though. If you know diamonds can't you find something nice anywhere or is this like the difference between Chili's and a fine restaurant?

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Isn't this guy one of the most reputable dealer in Houston. TV Johnny lol

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Lx2FEubF9_Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2 people like this.
  6. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

She's already cheating on you anyway.

1 person likes this.
  7. TL

TL Contributing Member

I went to Jared and some other large chain place to do my research...find settings, get ideas of how they price stuff and get an idea of the differences between how the 4 Cs impact the look. I ended up going to a big "independent" place on jewelers row in Chicago and confirmed everything on the 4Cs thing, because they just took out like 20+ diamonds and had me compare what I thought looked best so i could figure out what Cs were most important. Then I went to 3 or 4 small independent shops on jewelers row and just negotiated with all of them on the rock until i found what felt like was a good diamond at a good value. Then I took the purchased rock to another independent place to have them replicate the setting that I thought she would like. I paid a bit more to go to another place, but this other place was MUCH better at making stuff.

All that means is, I didn't have any hook-ups, either, but felt my way around and found something she is very happy with. That was my research methodology, and I felt educated when I finally bought it.

Good luck - and congrats

8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Don't do a diamond at all. Hindsight's 20/20 of course but I wish I had made a different choice.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Where did you get your wife's engagement/wedding ring?

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I got lucky because my mother gave me her diamond. I got the setting, which also had diamonds in it from some shady place next to Sharpstown Mall. Scared the crap out of me walking through that place...but I got a good deal on a very nice ring.

11. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

This. I knew next to nothing about diamonds until I was recommended this site. Even if you don't end up buying there, you should definitely read up on the "Education" section of their homepage.

They also give you some tips on how to discretely measure one's ring size, which came in handy.

Great prices. Trustworthy. And they ship internationally too.

12. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

If she says no just tell her it was a penis ring anyways.

13. lionaire

lionaire Member

Go to the indian-owned jewelry shops on Hilcroft.

14. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

9 inches?

15. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Don't do it.. trust this guy here.... but since ive been stupid myself before... ice.com... good deals

16. toby

toby Member

i.w. marks . . . that's what i did three years ago . . . best jewelry decision i made!

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

18. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Damn so you sleeping with her too.

19. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

You went to Jareds?
    He went to Jareds!!!

20. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I bought one a couple months ago. Don't buy the ring and diamond together at a store, they rip you off. check out whiteflash.com. I got my diamond from them. Go in and talk to them and tell them what you want. Either them, or bluenile.com. I liked whiteflash since they are based in Houston and I could actually go there and see some stuff.

They also have rings too. however, i got my ring from zadok (the gf wanted a specific setting).