1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you want to draft?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by JMAD21, Jan 8, 2011.

1. BoomTown

BoomTown Member

2. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

If Marcus Morris can play the 3 he might be awesome.

3. Socrates

Socrates Member

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Looks like Tristan Thompson is going to declare. He'll likely be a mid-1st rounder and I wouldn't mind if we took a shot at him. #2 rebounder in the Big 12 and #1 in blocks is very impressive for a true freshman.

If a legit C isn't available, I wouldn't mind going for a PF who can actually block and contest shots.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

As a Longhorn, I personally wouldn't mind getting Thompson, but the Rockets JUST drafted a guy who fits your description above.

His name is Patrick Patterson.

7. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Trade Luis Scola, #14, #23, and Terence Williams for Toronto's #3 pick. Then we use toronto's pick to draft Enes Kanter.
    Rockets 2011-2012 roster
    C- Enes Katner, Chuck Hayes, Hasheem Thabeet, Brad Miller
    PF- Patrick Patterson, Jordan Hill
    SF- Chase Budinger, Courtney Lee
    SG- Kevin Martin, Courtney Lee
    PG- Kyle Lowry, Goran Dragic

Why we do it?- we get to draft the top Center in the draft and a well needed center and defensive presence in the middle.

Why Toronto does it?- they get a good scorer and a good rebounder in Luis scola, 2 first round draft picks, and a potentially good SF.

8. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Vesely is more athletic than Blake Griffin is. So no.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think we should target the Cavs because they have 2 picks in the lottery already. As much as i hate to say it, send Lowry, Scola and#14 for #2. Then see if you can unload T. Will and #23 for the Bobcats #19 pick. Kanter and Singleton all the way. Then with the #38 pick a young PG to back up Dragic. Or, finally bring over Llull.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So in a weak draft, you wouldn't take another Patterson at 14? Thompson is a horrible FT shooter, but that is something I expect could be mitigated in the NBA.

11. Rockets_4_life

Along with Tristan Thompson PF and Corey Joseph PG, Jordan Hamilton SG/SF has decided to enter his name in the draft.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkc/men/7533494.html

I would be open to drafting Hamilton, if we trade Martin for a top 3 pick(Minny) to draft a center, either it be Bismack, Valanciunas or Kanter.

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Noooooooo thank you. That would be terrible. Kanter is the only one I could sleep on and not wake up plotting Morey's death.

Jordan Hamilton is a SF, so drafting him shouldn't be dependent on trading Martin/Lee.

13. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I see here you are getting at. I wouldn't mind doing that trade but what if we do that trade and instead of drafting Katner we draft Kyrie Irving. Then with all the cap space we receive from trading away scola and lowry, we sign Marc Gasol to a 50/5years contract(60/5years at most)

C- Gasol/ Hayes/ Thabeet/ Miller
    PF- Patterson/ Hill
    SF- Bud/ Lee/ T-will
    SG- Martin/ Lee
    PG- Irving/ Dragic

14. anchel

anchel Member

Jonas is going to be a very very solid NBA player, probably an all-star center one day.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

anchel, I've heard that Jonas's contract situation might keep him in Europe for another two years. Since he's not quite the "name" that Ricky Rubio was (which probably contributed to Rubio only falling to #5 in 2009), how far do you think Jonas would fall in the draft if this is true? Any way you see a (deferred) Jonas falling to #14? If so, I'd hope Morey would jump all over that. Hell, if Morey has him ranked highly enough, I'd be willing to package #14 and #23 to move up a couple of spots to get him.

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:grin:

17. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

He is.

18. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:grin:

19. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_brazilian_prospect_nba_draft_042311

Lucas is raw and a project, but could be worth the time and investment. If all the center's are gone by our pick, then I would consider drafting Lucas with the 14th pick.

Side note: He measured fantastic, standing 7'0 with a 7'6wingspan and 9'3 standing reach, at the Nike world hoopsummit. He has a great frame(wide shoulders and strong base) that could easily put on some muscle this off-season; I could see him developing into a healthy Andrew Bynum. But the Rockets would need to have patience, with his development.

20. anchel

anchel Member

His agent says that they want to hold all their options open (keep playing in Lihuania, go to another Euroleague team, or already to the NBA) but said that they would make a decision in the spring.

Having in mind Rubio's recent case, I don't think any lottery team is going to risk to get him without knowing previously his future plans. If he really talks about the possibility of staying 2 more years in Europe to develope his body/overall game to come more prepared to the NBA... I think he should retire his name from this year's draft and go the next year's draft.

If his decision is to go to the NBA already, or as late as next year (my guess, he probably would prefer to play in Europe if there's lockout) I think he would be a lottery selection this year, for sure. I think that franchises will accept to wait a year, even could prefer to have him competing at Euroleague level while there's no NBA competition.

So if he finally declares for this draft, I guess it means that he wants to go to the NBA soon. If the Rockets have a chance to get him with the 14th pick, they would be very lucky. Even if -by that time- he has oficially decided that he wants to play in Europe the lockout year, it is possible that some team discards him, but until the 14th... I see it very unlikely. I don't know, this is a question we should make to the GMs, I could be wrong.

Next month he will play the Euroleague's Nike International Junior Tournament, so hopefully there will be more info about his current situation and future thoughts.