1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Vote of Confidence - Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Apr 20, 2011.

?

Vote of Confidence - Would you keep or fire Daryl Morey

1. "Confident" - I'd keep Daryl Morey

297 vote(s)
    83.2%
  2. "No Confidence" - I'd fire Daryl Morey

60 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

In order to make trades (or reasonable trades), you have to have offers for your players. IIRC, Morey did not have any offers for either player other than the ones I mentioned. If you can go back into Rockets' lore and find me evidence that Morey could have traded these players BEFORE they got "shutdown by injuries", please feel free to point me in that direction. Otherwise, your assertion that Morey should have traded these players before their eventual physical and/or mental downfall is just more of a "no duh" than anything else.

2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This poll reminds me of a similar poll taken right after John met Yoko.

1 person likes this.
  3. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

This is why people think Morey is godlike here. I don't remember the specific, but we traded TMac, Dorsey (1st round pick), and Landry (hot commodity at that time) and we also had to swallow Jarid Jeffries bloated contract.

the devil is in the details....Morey worshipers seemed to just ignore the big negatives of Morey trades.

4. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

lol...haahahahaha...come on, you can do better than that.

In the early years, Morey wasn't looking to trade Yao/TMac. They weren't on the market. You're not going to get offers if you not going serious about trading your stars.

Seriously, how many offers do you think the Fakers FO are getting about trading for Kobe right now? How about a few years back when he was on the market? (Kobe/Shaq war)

5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Like others have mentioned, you better check your facts again. We never fired Adelman, we just chose to let him go instead of renewing his contract. He has to be UNDER contract for us to fire him. Also, DM admits that RA was a great coach who did a lot with the roster he played. However, when the coach and FO cannot see eye to eye, someone needs to go. Considering next year we are still looking at a roster without superstars as well as a looming lockout, it makes no sense to retain an expensive and aging coach who does not agree with your personnel decisions.

As far as why wait until now to change things? Because, again, the time where change is a lot easier. We were able to shed Battier's contract while moving him to a playoff team. AB was moved due to his attitude, performance, and desire for more money. Yao and his broken foot is finally coming off the books. Given how many things have unfolded, it is the best time to change.

DM has done nothing at all to deserve all the hate some fans are expressing, especially over a coach. Would you rather us still be signing on guys like Matt Maloney, Stromile Swift, Kelvin Cato, and Kirk Snyder? The NBA is changing towards a more consolidated style where stars are moving towards teams that already have stars to win. Our best bet is to find an up and coming star pissed off at his old team or luck out during the draft. The first really depends on luck (what the other team wants or does not want) and the second will not be possible if we continue to spin our wheels in mud.

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

To be fair, this is not impossible nor unheard of because that's EXACTLY how the Mavericks came upon Steve Nash. So I, too, am willing to give Morey a chance to see if he can indeed pull it off...just as long as there are NO more Artest-like deals.

7. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

That would be my fault. I didn't know we could do a public poll and don't know how.

8. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

how do you vote multiple times?

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Rudy Gay was morey's decision. Artest was morey's decision. Thinking Yao could come back and be healthy was Morey's decision. Brad Miller was Morey's decision. I think he's done some good things, but overloading certain positions with alike players and failing to move players in the summer when they're hot is also his decision.

10. steddinotayto

So you're saying that Morey should have moved McGrady and Yao before or after the 22-win streak season? Because my accounts, that would have been the last time either player had reasonable value in respect to their max contracts. Or are you moving further down the timeline and suggest that Morey and the Rockets FO field offers after McGrady took Bradley's back for a ride?

So you're saying that "serious" offers were given to Morey once EVERYONE knew McGrady's time was done in Houston and "serious" offers were given to Morey after Yao went down two years ago and after he went down again this year? No one in their right mind is going to offer anything of value for a max contract, oft-injured, past his prime player. That Prince/Rip swap was to be a salary dump on Dumars/Detroit's end. The Vince for McGrady swap that almost happened was due to the fact that a serviceable Vince Carter would have been infinitely better than a cancerous McGrady during that run with Yao/Artest/Brooks.

If you're going to fault Morey and say that he "just stood there and ate Yao/Tmac contracts" at least bring up indisputable evidence that tells me he could have trade either or both for something better than the trade he eventually made for Kevin Martin and Picks.

I'm not a Morey apologist since I've questioned some of his moves before but to say that he just ate the contracts of McGrady and Yao is absurd.

11. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

Fired/let go - potayto/potahto...are you seriously going to argue over semantics

Yeah...Morey did much better with Brian Cook, James White, David Anderson, Joey Dorsey, Jared Jeffries, Von Wafer, and Gerald Green...awesome picks/trades indeed.

12. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

that's your opinion. It's not a fact.
    We can then agree to disagree on that.

I just remember listening to the radio and many fans demanding we trade TMac after he just disappeared in game 7 of the Dallas series. He quit on the team...just like Morey quit on this team now.

13. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Clear your cookies and re-vote.

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Right and in that context, the real question that begs answering is whether this is a viable strategy for for building a championship team. I suppose the next question I'd ask is for examples of just WHERE this strategy has worked.

15. steddinotayto

Again, please help me understand how Morey "ate the contracts of McGrady and Yao" because you obviously have more insight than I do on what he should/could have done in regards to trading said players for maximum value.

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

If we can't count on you getting the majority of your "points" correct, how can you honestly expect us to trust that you can see any sort of pictures. Try actually researching before you post if you have any desire at all to be taken serious by anyone.

It is HILARIOUS that you have the gall to try to throw those names at me considering the only person with a contract that was considered bad out of that bunch was Jeffries and he wasn't bad, just offensively inept. Cook hardly played and was a trade filler. White and Green were cheap D-League pickups with insignificant contracts. David AndersEn (again, you never seem to get anything right) was relatively cheap, but did not work out. Von Wafer worked out real world, but wanted money that NOT A SINGLE NBA TEAM was willing to give him. Dorsey was a SECOND ROUND pick and equally dirt cheap, so I am not entirely sure what you are expecting.

At this point in time, I am actually putting you on my Ignore list as none of your posts have been anything worth reading at the very least (I am being generous here) and my response is honestly more for the benefits of others with actual open minds.

17. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

LOL...this is too much.

18. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

You obviously really believe Morey got Martin for TMac.

That's totally obsurd! We had to give up Dorsey/Landry and had to eat Jarid Jeffries contract!

19. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

None of those guys were signed to long term bad contracts. We basically had them here on minimal deals to see if they grew into something. They didn't so we moved them with no problems. What's wrong with that? Seems smart to me. How bout we over pay and get stuck with long term deals? They were not brought in to be hey players.

It's not easy to just make trades and get star players. I don't know why people think its that easy. Look at all the other teams that overpaid and are now stuck with those players and have a bad team (Detroit - Charlie V and Gordon, Philly - Brand, G St - Maggette, Knicks,)

Just saying, it's a process to build a good team. It takes time to get the right pieces. I think we have a good young core to start developing until that star comes loose again and we can get involved in a trade. If Jordan doesn't back out we would have had Chandler. If Sacto doesn't back out, we could have Cousins. So it's not like Morey hasn't been trying.

20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I'd rehire him even tho I am mad as hell for firing Adelman.

But he is on that verge, of me changing my mind.