1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey Fires Back At Misconceptions - In case you missed it...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AnnaMegan, Apr 20, 2011.

1. AnnaMegan

AnnaMegan Member

2 people like this.
  2. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

On "stability" he compares to Oklahoma City, compares Nick Collison to Chuck Hayes; says if you're OKC, you are willing to overpay Collison in free agency, because you're winning. But if you're us, you're not willing to overpay a "glue guy" just for chemistry. Foreshadowing the fate of Chuck Hayes?

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

he drops a number of notches in my eyes if it comes down to paying chuck and extra mil or two. Surely people on here will say he's not worth it, and I probably did at one point but the insurance policy he's been stepping in has me full of gratitude towards the guy given his size and how he emerged as a locker room leader / voice.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

are you the Anna Megan from the Chronicle?

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yes she is

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Hasn't this already been discussed for most of the day today, in the other thread?

7. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

8. Lhunt21

Lhunt21 Member

i love chuck, he can't go.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How is paying the going rate, or the market price, "Over paying"?

IMO, this makes the organization look cheap, and probably makes free agents around the league look at this in a similar fashion.

DD

10. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

Oh, no..... <forehead slap>

Not Chuck! :(

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm still firmly in the Pro Morey camp. But major cracks in his philosophy are starting to show. Eventually he's gonna have to find a true interior presence and those don't come cheap. Sometimes you just have to overpay, and Morey is never willing to do that. And screwing around with players, and doing everything you can to low ball them, while perfectly fair, does not exactly breed popularity, in a league where players have major control.

12. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, finally we're getting more women on this board...

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Agree with you on the major cracks. I've been in his camp a long time also. If he starts alienating a fan favorite like Chuck, he really doesn't understand the ultimate business end of this thing. If I wore jerseys, I would wear a Chuck Hayes jersey. he just epitomizes so much of what I love about sports and basketball.

14. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Seems like you you use to understand the overpaying concept:

15. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

AnnaMegan - thank you for posting that. The podcast was an interesting listen; I actually feel better about Adelman leaving now.

I do feel worse in that it sounds like Chuck won't be back unless he scales back his salary requirements, or so it sounded like to me. Love Chuck, love his play/heart/determination/toughness...hope we can work it out.

Sounds like Morey is most definitely going to bring someone in from the international draft, probably a big; at least that's the plan. I haven't followed the international basketball league at all, so I really have no idea what's out there other than hearing about Ricky Rubio or Sergio Llull here at Clutchfans.

Interesting that Morey didn't deny that there was a disagreement between Adelman and the front office about bringing in Ricky Rubio; sounds like the rumors there were true.

Equally interesting is that there really wasn't any talk about Yao, other than a quick mention of the albatross his contract represented....I think that silence is telling.

I'm now simultaneously excited and quite anxious about the changes that it sounds like are coming. All we can do now is stay tuned and watch it all happen!

1 person likes this.
  16. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Sounds to me like we are screwed every which way from Sunday.....
    Translation:
    We will pay you less than the going rate if you come here SuperStar Free Agent

We don't do extensions during the season

We don't reward loyalty because we have none to you. You are an asset, and when we are done with you we will move on. Head coach, glue guy, lockdown defender, DLeague scrub. Doesn't matter

We will not pay you the going NBA market rate. We will pay you based on our proprietary statistical calculation (-10%).

1 person likes this.
  17. Outlier

Outlier Member

Chuck's not going anywhere, he had dinner with Les.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Boom. Headshot.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He sounds defensive, but passionate. At least you can see he believes in what he does.

20. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

Guys what morey's plan is to win a championship ..
    and with that you gonna make sacrifices