1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on 610 now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TXRoxBBall, Apr 20, 2011.

1. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

When the Rockets have their Duncans, Parkers and Ginoblis they should lock them up. Nobody on the current roster is worth committing to right now. Do you really think locking up Aaron Brooks and Shane Battier is what this team should do? Think before you post sometime.

2. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Name a worse offensive PF. Name one...that starts. You cant.

Second, Center isnt typically a high offensive posistion...so someone that plays great D but poor offense can play that posistion. PF, it is not the case. This needed to be one of your most well rounded players leaning towards the offensive side...to compete with most NBA teams.

You dont play just offense...but certain positions you have to have an offensive presence. Chuck at the 4 and another subpar center will be a below average team.

Chuck now would be great next YAO from 2008. But an elite shooting Center would be the only way you can play chuck.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Perfect. Too bad I can't rep you again. He's been telling the public for at least a year that he has a lot to trade with.

:confused: But, this has me confused. I don't think this snippet was anywhere in the interview, much less in the environs of the "lot of assets" quote. He might elsewhere deny calling players assets, but not in this interview today.

4. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I agree with you fully. Patterson should start. Its arguable he could match Chuck Hayes on defense one day anyways. We already know he would be an instant upgrade for offense and his athletic ability allows other things with him.

With that in mind? Chuck Hayes shouldnt start at center either. So he should be our backup and hope whoever our next coach is? Is good enough to know the place of our players proper positions in the lineup. This is all assuming as I said we traded Scola away. Chuck still should not be our starting center regardless by next season. That's on Morey if that part gets fixed or not.

5. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Humphries

PPG 10.0
    RPG 10.4
    APG 1.1
    SPG 0.4
    BPG 1.1
    FG% 0.527
    FT% 0.665
    3P% 0.000
    MPG 27.9

Hayes
    PPG 7.9
    RPG 8.1
    APG 2.7
    SPG 1.1
    BPG 0.7
    FG% 0.527
    FT% 0.662
    3P% 0.000
    MPG 28.1

This was the best comparison I could find. The stats are similar with humphries with the slight edge. The difference is humphries is a perfect fit with a jump Shooting Offensively efficient center in Brook Lopez. He also gets rebounds which is needed on that team and blocks shots. 2 things chuck does not do well.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Dalembert!

There you go!

Now you name all the PFs starting PFs that you think are better offensively than Chuck.

Remember this, playing offense is more than just scoring the ball.

Here's another one for you to think about:

Andray Blatche!

He sux. Jacks up way too many shots. Is inefficient. Turns the ball over at an alarming rate, can't pass without turning it over. And he doesn't get to the foul line. Takes up a lot of possessions, dribbles all over the place using up shot clock. HAYES IS 10 TIMES THE PLAYER THAT r****d IS ON OFFENSE!!!!

I could name some more but you wouldn't see it cuz you're too busy looking at jump shots going in and at points in a box score. Chuck facilitates the offense. He is a very effective offensive player. You just don't understand basketball my friend.

7. albuster

albuster Member

Good point. But his answers led to more questions though. The most fundamental question is that after four years, 30 transactions and a lot of talk about being "predatory", "having a lot of assets" (which he remarkably denied with a straight face), "we are among a few teams who are in the best position to absorb salaries", etc., why hasn't he built a core of players yet?

A follow up question would be, does he have an open ended mandate from Alexander to build the team for as long as it takes for him to feel comfortable himself? Ok, four years was not enough to build a semblance or a skeleton of a core, so, does he need another four years to form the beginnings of a core of players? When do we Houstonians see a Rockets team that would contend with the best of the NBA?

Most fans have already given Morey the benefit of the doubt for four years, including myself, so he wants many more years because the first four years was just a warm up of sorts for him? He was saying in the interview that we should expect more changes, as in major changes, to this team that he built over so many years so that he could keep rebuilding. His statements in the interview seem to indicate that we need to forget the first four years of constant tinkering and that we should be understanding enough to allow him to start making changes, all over again, since he is not satisfied with what he had done in the past four years.

OK, Houston, we got plenty of time and money to waste, or spare, to put it diplomatically, so Morey, we'll just stock up on popcorn and beer and patiently wait for you to start the process of tinkering, again, for the next four or however many years you would like us to wait. And, oh, thank you very much for the favor.

What does he think of most of us? Many fans believe him like a prophet even if he is caught brazenly lying about statements he made in the past, but we are not all dumb and as gullible as the others.

How many coaches who have any sense at all will go with a constant change in his team's line up and still be expected to have a winning record at the end of the season, much less get into the playoffs?

Anyway, so much for all the venting. At least, this summer will not be as long as the others in the past, since I won't have to keep myself from looking at the calendar everyday and wondering why it wasn't October already. I am not eagerly looking forward to enduring the misery of watching my favorite team play, well, bad, next year and maybe many more.

Following the words of the Houston basketball "guru" Morey, "Change will come, we are not satisfied with the team we have", just don't mind and forget the small inconvenience of the constant changes and consequent mediocrity of the team for the past four years, then everyone in Houston will be alright.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Humphries is a garbage man. He eats on leftovers. He can't pass. When Hayes gets 30 mpg, he puts up 10/10. It's not Hayes' fault that Adelman didn't figure out until January that Hayes had to be on the floor a lot more. Hayes is a better offensive player than Humphries.

9. albuster

albuster Member

Good point. But his answers led to more questions though. The most fundamental question is that after four years, 30 transactions and a lot of talk about being "predatory", "having a lot of assets" (which he remarkably denied with a straight face), "we are among a few teams who are in the best position to absorb salaries", etc., why hasn't he built a core of players yet?

A follow up question would be, does he have an open ended mandate from Alexander to build the team for as long as it takes for him to feel comfortable himself? Ok, four years was not enough to build a semblance or a skeleton of a core, so, does he need another four years to form the beginnings of a core of players? When do we Houstonians see a Rockets team that would contend with the best of the NBA?

Most fans have already given Morey the benefit of the doubt for four years, including myself, so he wants many more years because the first four years was just a warm up of sorts for him? He was saying in the interview that we should expect more changes, as in major changes, to this team that he built over so many years so that he could keep rebuilding. His statements in the interview seem to indicate that we need to forget the first four years of constant tinkering and that we should be understanding enough to allow him to start making changes, all over again, since he is not satisfied with what he had done in the past four years.

OK, Houston, we got plenty of time and money to waste, or spare, to put it diplomatically, so Morey, we'll just stock up on popcorn and beer and patiently wait for you to start the process of tinkering, again, for the next four or however many years you would like us to wait. And, oh, thank you very much for the favor.

What does he think of most of us? Many fans believe him like a prophet even if he is caught brazenly lying about statements he made in the past, but we are not all dumb and as gullible as the others.

How many coaches who have any sense at all will go with a constant change in his team's line up and still be expected to have a winning record at the end of the season, much less get into the playoffs?

Anyway, so much for all the venting. At least, this summer will not be as long as the others in the past, since I won't have to keep myself from looking at the calendar everyday and wondering why it wasn't October already. I am not eagerly looking forward to enduring the misery of watching my favorite team play, well, bad, next year and maybe many more.

Following the words of the Houston basketball "guru" Morey, "Change will come, we are not satisfied with the team we have", just don't mind and forget the small inconvenience of the constant changes and consequent mediocrity of the team for the past four years, then everyone in Houston will be alright.

10. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Then again this is also assuming we get another center who cant score at all. If we get a decent scoring center? Then of course Chuck Hayes can start because he is not the worst scorer anymore. He is at least passable at times now. What we cant have is two black holes on offense at PF and center. What we do need is balance and???????

It all depends on who we have next year. Chuck just cant start at center anymore.

11. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

This kind of hinges on who our new center is going to be. If we get a D'andre Jordan type center, Scola would be a better fit as the starting 4. If we get more of a Chris Kamen type center, Chuck would be the better fit at the 4. Defensive 5 with an Offensive 4. Offensive 5 with Defensive 4.

12. albuster

albuster Member

Sorry for the double post, I didn't know how it happened. It is Holy Week in the Christian world and forgiveness is the mantra until Easter Sunday. Forgive Morey? I won't answer that until after Easter. Happy Easter everyone!

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

BMoney,

I was not specifically talking about either of them, but IMO, the team should have locked up Lowry, Landry and Scola too, it is not just a narrow view of this season but a general overall view of Morey's tenure.

And locking up role players allows you to trade them as contracts too, and it keeps them happy, and more importantly it tells potential Free Agents that the team is committed to extensions and their players.

Either way, just my .02.

DD

14. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

key phrase there. Rockets aren't, and it's understandable that they chose to trade a couple of players they knew wouldn't exactly help their chances to win a championship next year.

Dragic and a 1st rounder was a steal IMO and he's better overall than Brooks. I do agree that a championship organization should pay their players and with everything else you mentioned...but it's a different story when youre not making the playoffs and you have players that will want more money. That was a great business decision

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think you need to divide Morey's history here into two eras -- the Yao/McGrady era where we were attempting to contend (and getting derailed by injuries), and the rebuilding era, which spans the last two seasons. I wouldn't say he wasted those first 2 seasons; we just tried and failed to contend. Then, it's going to take awhile to get over that, reposition, and start rebuilding.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I loved Morey's response, and based on his article, Clutch is on the exact same page.

Who cares if the called our players assets or not. Since when is being an asset an insult?

Morey is dead right, chemistry is irrelevant until we get a star foundation. Right now we need to develop a star or draft one or trade for one, until then, chemistry and depth at a particular position is irrelevant.

We need a coach that isn't burnt out that will be in it for the long haul like Morey is. Someone hungry to prove himself and willing to develop players at the expense of short term winning. That's not Adelman.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Big named free agents might.....

DD

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I've heard the word "assets" used a lot, but I'm trying to recollect when and how Morey used the term. I'm sure he's used it before, but does anyone have a quote on hand?

19. clos4life

clos4life Member

How stupid does he think we are? Of course you only fire a coach if he does a bad job. If they do a good job then you keep them. Simple as that.

20. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

From earlier in the thread...