1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on 610 now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TXRoxBBall, Apr 20, 2011.

1. anchel

anchel Member

Good interview by Morey. I always like him, to be honest. Didn't see him defensive, he accepts criticism, not lies.

Well, he could pay him, but let's say that he prefers to renounce to his cap hold to be able to aspire to a better free agent (right?). Add to that the Chuck/Collison stuff, and you can suppose that he wants to go for an expensive FA. So I wouldn't be surprised if we give salary on a draft night trade to make some more room for a Marc Gasol (if Memphis can't retain his current bird rights with the new CBA).

2. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

Morey is blowing hot air

30 players traded under Adelman in the last 2 yrs. How's that not change?
    Adelman made great stride in supporting and building new talents (CBud, Pat, Scola, Hayes, Brooks (injury), and Lowry). Obviously, you can't make cheap talents into gold everytime (Twon't and Thabeet). If you deserve PT, you gotta prove it in practice.

When Morey said he looking at change...what exactly does he mean?
    Is he looking for a "modern coach" to turn Twon't and Thabeet into all-stars?

Morey sucks...he is too incompetent or too cheap to get a great player for Adelman. We're almost there...just one player away and we got cap room with Yao/TMac contracts gone....and that's the job of GM is to find that missing piece. Rebuilding is just an excuse for bad GMs who is clueless on finding talent.

1 person likes this.
  3. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

I think Thabeet is still on contract...If he wanted to renounce Shane's cap hold then wouldn't we keep him and then let him go? His explanation doesn't make sense to me cause I don't see any team paying him more than what Thabeet is being payed now.

4. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Who cares if he actually used the word "assets"? (He did ... several times.) We know what he meant. Get Player A and if his value increases, flip him for an upgrade. Every team does that. That's how we got KMartin.

Since that word is now politically incorrect, read between the lines. What Morey means is now he's not gonna use it. That should be the end of it.

When he's got more weightier issues on his mind, he should not be hanged on a matter of a poor word choice.

1 person likes this.
  5. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

So Morey is now out of favor with some? Well I see. Battier got traded and Moves are made people dont like it but you won more when they happened? Hmmm. A conundrum. Who to please? Morey better quicken his strategy to field a good young promising team with such fickle bunch he has to please.

6. iball

iball Contributing Member

Am I missing something? The quote was "I never said we have a lot of assets, I've never used those words." That's completely different from saying he never used assets to describe players.

7. anchel

anchel Member

Hmm, Shane's cap hold it would be the 150% of his previous salary, if I'm right. Morey could be really interested in Thabeet, in the 2013 pick, the TE, and at the same time think that could be a chance of landing a Gasol with the current cap situation plus the trade I was referred for this next draft (Brad Miller, JHill, Terrence...?).

Or maybe I was simply wrong (very likely). What I don't know is if there's a chance that the NBA nullify the current bird rights, also for the current FA's. In this case Memphis could not retain Marc, and doing the aforementioned movement we could have very good chances of landing him.

8. thekad

thekad Member

Wheels are falling off.

9. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Can anyone speculate further on the odds of change to the bird rights? I wouldnt think that would be on the table.

Also, the amount we could offer marc or deandre jordan to come to houston? I am sure we will offer max we can to those guys and NENE.

I would love some numbers to see what it would take and what we can offer...If the league is hurting I would think things like bird rights would be untouched as they help teams retain their key players. Or does the fact that it enables the team to go past the salary cap where the problem is?

They dont want teams that cant afford it paying to mucht to keep their players?

10. s.b713

s.b713 Member

Im not happy with the decision of letting Adelman walk away, i think this year coming up will define Morey as a GM, if by next years end we havent made a GOOD stride towards a championship caliber roster he needs to be let go.

11. clutz

clutz Member

"We think we've got a lot of assets that a lot of teams want - a lot of ways to upgrade." (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/5815234.html)

1 person likes this.
  12. Htown's2kFinest

Morey: "I never said we have a lot of assets"

What a liar.

13. anchel

anchel Member

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1574/houston_rockets_salary_cap_update/

7 + the mentioned draft trade... Have in mind that the 1st year of the contract it would be the cheaper one.

Nene is also a posibility, true.

About the bird rights, I've read that it's likely that they dissapear. The doubt is about the players who got them for this summer... Hopefully Bima sees this and can clarify our doubts.

14. s.b713

s.b713 Member

15. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Vintage Morey

Clear, straightforward, armed with facts, witty. He called out Blinebury which is good. Interesting that Jerome Solomon is keeping quiet for now

1 person likes this.
  16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i have got to say, this will be a VERY intriguing summer. there is A LOT of pressure on morey to deliver consider what has gone on.

i'm sure all rocket fans will be glued to clutchfans for constant updates.

17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Maybe he was referring to the Rockets cheerleaders when he said "assets". :p

Seriously, Morey was obviously making references to players when he used the word assets, especially in the context of possible trades. Rather disappointing that he won't own up to what he has said. Own up, take the heat, and move on, man.

18. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

i liked morey's response. call it defensive if you want but I saw someone who was willing to be questioned on certain things (quality of certain draft picks) and wanting to squash false facts/rumors.

his logic is sound as well, glad to have him on our team.

19. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

They are assets. They have feelings hurt over a word? Deal with it. Its the NBA. Everyone gets traded or moves team at least once in their careers. Even Karl Malone went to the Lakers and Dream went to the Raptors. Deal with it.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Player will deal with it.

Deal with it by telling their colleagues about how they feel about the Rockets organization. Great for, say, free agent recruitment.