1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Podcast: Feigen on 610, explaining why Adelman wasn't retained

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's not the point. I have always supported Morey. I think 90% of his moves were good (not sure about the Rubio thing, though). I am "New School" in terms of player evaluation. I endorse analytics. In fact, I always chide the Old School people when they criticize statistical analysis without understanding.

But I think it appears that he is not good at communicating with his coach, getting him on board of things. It's not about making the right decisions. It's a matter of people management. A GM is a manager. A manager's main job is managing PEOPLE. I have a feeling that Morey underestimates the human side of the game.

Coaches and players aren't just fantasy pieces which you just put together to get the highest numbers. Psychological factors such as chemistry and morale play a big part in players' performance. You need a coach who commands respect from his players, getting them to buy into his system and game plans. There aren't that many coaches that can do that in today's NBA. And Adelman is one of the few.

I don't think Adelman wants to "stand pat" either. What coach doesn't want to have better players? His complaints, from the quotes I read so far, are basically two things: (1) He has not been involved in personnel decisions. (2) He doesn't like the "revolving door roster" policy.

And it sounds like Morey's thinking is this: "I decide what players should be on the roster, and you decide what players should be on the court. We don't meddle into each other's territories." The problem is, who the coach can put on the court has a lot to do with who is on the roster. Those are not separate territories.

#61 Easy, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. kbp944f

kbp944f Member

How many championships has he won? ZERO. His team does not play defense.

3. Tuan

Tuan Member

I liked RA but does it really matter who coaches this team at this point?

I love the Rockets but its clearly time to retool. We have an adequate team now that may be able to challenge for the 7th or 8th seed in the West.

Our roster is filled with good players but nobody great. Until we get at least one superstar or an up and coming stud in the draft, I dont care who coaches this team.

1 person likes this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its not just as black and white as defense vs. offense being the factor here for looking in a new direction.

Its important to understand that the team that was currently in place this past season would have had a losing record with a lesser coach in place. That is a fact. I would say with a midlevel coach like say... Larry Brown, this team would have probably 35 to 40 wins. They wouldn't have the brilliant offense that kept them in the game some nights.

But the important thing to understand is that the Rockets front office is taking a new stance. They realize that they have to be bold in moves, and somehow find a player in the next two seasons that can become the new face of this team, or be good enough to trade for a star impact player as well as re-establish a defensive mindset with their players. Les Alexander thinks they can have the best of both worlds.

They are now willing to sacrifice the great offensive system to get a coach that understands the moves they make, and be more exploratory to look towards the future. Adelman will only play players that can fit into his system.

The front office also knows what contending teams do that they do not. The bigs have to be big and in the post where they should be if you are a competing team. Bigs that come to the high post to pass, or shoot 3's are fun to watch, and can really open up the offense, but you are giving something up that ALL contending teams dont sacrifice.

Rick Adelman's system can win you a few more games with efficient offense, but you have to have an elite defense to be a contender. They need a coach who is not willing to sacrifice defense if they want to win it all.

Players like Budinger, and Patterson have come along nicely under Adelman, but many others seem to be stuck in a standstill and even regressing in a few cases like Jordan Hill, Joey Dorsey, and Jermaine Taylor.

Its an odd scenario for a coaching change, but I somehow understand why it must happen. Adelman is just not a good fit going into the future, both for being in tune with the youth movement, and setting up style of play that can work in the postseason if they can get there next season.

I think this past 48 hours, Adelman himself has realized that and thats why the conclusion was so... polite.

5. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

I'll say it again. We are the new clippers.. Les wants to make as much as possible wile giving little away. And Morey is his right hand man. A coach like Adelman isnt going to stand for such. Stop buying the company line... we are NOT rebuilding.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

What are you talking about? The last thing you should describe the Rockets as is cheap.

7. rodmanhust

rodmanhust Member

sadly, it's exactly what they are, with a cheap owner.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

my god. The ignorance in this post. I won't do it for you, go look up portland's defensive stats.

How many coaches have made it to the finals. Twice *, 2002 was an officiating blunder.

9. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

No. They're pretty cheap dude. The amount of cost saving moves they make aren't enough to yield benefit at the end. The whole talk about going over the cap is bs, I'd like to see what they say in action rather than in words alone.

We are one of the cheapest franchises and thats a fact.

Its finally time to rebuild apparantly, and it took them that long to realize that with Yao's injuries. How long did they think chuck was going to play center for and win a championship?

10. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

only a handful of coaches have made it to the NBA finals, usually its the same group that also win a championship.

11. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Feigen will discuss the Rick Adelman decision and the team's coaching situation at 1PM via chat.

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2011/04/join_us_for_a_1_pm_chat.html

And if you can't get enough of Feigen('s opinion), he joined 1560 today to talk about the departure of Rick Adelman and the future of the Rockets, again.

I was listening to it earlier, while getting some work done, so I wasn't fully paying attention, but I didn't hear Feigen bring up anything 'new'.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

^^^Yeah, nothing really new.

Welcome in. On your way to talk to Morey. Busy day. Adelman no longer coach. Seperation come...polite seperation or bad feelings?

It was pretty amicable. It wasnt a case of one wanted something and the other didnt. Hard to get into crosshairs when they agree. They both agreed ready to move on.

They always say that when a guy is fired. I really believe it here. 64 year old wants to win, and Les wants a guy who will develop talent and also get to the playoffs. Probably the right decision. Do you like the decision?

I think they take a step back. He was a HOF coach as Daryl said. He was told WIN. Thats what the Rockets are about. They have a D-League team. They said WIN. Thats what he went out to do. 30 different players in the last 2 years. Complete changes. Just keep winning. He did what he was hired to do. It will be tough to follow him. Next coach will have to do that. They want a developmental minded approach, and mesh between the FO and its vision and the coaching staff. This season, it was nearly 2 seperate parts of the company that didnt interact. The FO does its thing. The FO did not interfare. The coaching staff had no say in the FO moves. They were informed but had no input. They want the next group to work together more.

Why did that happen? Daryl or Rick thing? Why the seperation?

It was more because they just didnt see the things the same way in how to build this team. Daryl felt this isnt a championship team and I need to make bold moves even if it isnt for big name players. I'll take a chance on T-Will and Thabeet while Rick felt give me guys who make this team better. Terrence doesnt fit his style and the roster overloaded at his position. He is a one on one PR type guy. Thats not these Rockets. They had totally different mentalities.

I was there. Not sure but at Tillman Fertita's house when Rick was hired. Clyde and Daryl and Les were there. Was that a...I remember standing there with him at the deal and he was happy Rick was the guy. Is Rick a Daryl Morey kind of coach? Will Morey have a choice in the next coach?

First part; he was the right guy for a team that wanted or was going to contend for championships. We need a coach to bring us over the finish line even though he never won a championship. Daryl knows that and still knows that. Going forward, there's no question if hes looking for the successor, hes gonna pick a guy who is more oriented towards the analytics Morey can provide. Rick looked at the box scores while Daryl felt the guy who invented the box score should be shot. No difference of approach. Rick has been doing this for 30 something years. He can look at a game and get what he needs. Daryl produces so much information, there gonna want a coach who will try to use it. As far as Daryl's say, it's gotta be the owner. Daryl will lead this though and be on board. Somebody Les doenst click with will be out of the running quickly and Morey will move on until he gets the guy he believes in.

When we look back at the records and what Rick did, some might not be excited but looking at the talent he had, summarize his time here and where would you put him in franchise coaches?

Rudy is 1. He hung banners. They were similar in some ways. Very innovated. Rudy doesnt get credit for that, Rick does. Rudy expected you to be a professional and he treated you that way. If you were a knucklehead, he wasnt going to deal with your ego. He wasnt going to do that. Thats Rick. Rick doesnt give speeches or deal with egos. Players totally believe in him, call him a players coach, players ask the GM not to get rid of him. He doesnt seem to do anything that you would call him a players coach. He treats them like men and pros and they respect that. He did a great job. The further we get away from him, people will see that to win every year after what he went through(not just losing Yao and McGrady), all that uncertainty, he did a remarkable job. No question...Daryl is right. He is a HOF coach. You dont win 945 games on accident. Dont have a better winning percentage than everybody in the top 10 except Auberbach and Jackson by just sticking around. When he put a team on the floor, it won.

Any names popping up?

Yeah, definitely. First interviews will be Jack Sikma, Elston Turner, and Mario Elie. Mario was an assistant with Pop, GS, and Sacramento. He did tell me in GS he wanted to purposely get different experiences, get a more rounded idea, which was a good idea. The other 2 are absolutely ready. I do think the assistants are the longshot. The 2 coaching searches Les has done for coaches that have gone to the finals, that would tend to be maybe Mike Brown. His repuatation isnt as good as he is. I think he would run a much better O than all LeBron, all the time. They were terrific on D. You dont be that good on D by just having LeBron. I think he would be a strong candidate. Everyone is throwing this out there and it is true, if for some reason SVG is let go, he is on the top of every list Rick isnt on the top of. If SVG is free, that is a quick call and the Jeff factor would help, not hurt.

With CBA, lockout on the horizon, what happens with the coaching search. Does it wait until agreed upon?

They can sign someone. Some teams would wait. I think the Rockets would be too anxious to sit around and wait for a coach.

You're gonna have some fun now! Coaching search! Every writers dream! You and Berman. Fake him out that you got something.

I'm gonna be part of the interviews. They want a guy who will appeal to the media so I'm going to sit in the interviews.

Nice!

I'm going to suggest that actually.

Suggestion!? ... Lets get a fan vote.

JF: Who would win that?

Jeff Van Gundy. Saw the poll on the Chron last night. No one wants Mike Brown.

JF: How about get the dad?!

Jeff not an option right?

Not really. Les would step in and say no. I dont think that would fly. The relationship between Daryl and Jeff not bad at all. It was bad 10 days when he left. Theyre fine. If Stan is available, the Jeff factor would help. I think he would be happy to move here where Jeff is. Jeff factor would help if there is competition with Stan. Orlando has to be stupid though.

Would be incredible to see. I could see it though. Then Dallas if they lose in the first round, LA. A lot of dominos.

Not Dallas. How about the Lakers. If the Lakers get the coaches the Rockets players want and the Rockets get the coaches the Lakers players want.to keep. That would be interesting. A trade. Rick with the LAkers - I cant imagine a better fit. He is perfect. Offense he runs meshes perfectly with the triangle. Would be perfect!

And gets a chance to win a ring with a team that screwed him over when with Sacramento.

Would be perfect. Phil then could go to Sacramento

Wont happen. ... Appreciate it. Best of luck.

Always a pleasure. Good talking to you.

1 person likes this.
  13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Morey didn't always agree with Rick's player subs (and neither did a lot of us) but he let Rick do his job. Based on Rick's comments he didn't agree with Morey's roster moves but wanted more say in helping Morey do his job. Now maybe Rick thinks that by "helping" Morey he can make his own life easier but the fact is the coach has his job to do and the GM has his job to do. If they aren't on the same page then one of them has to go.

Plus how many good teams never hit bottom or got a lucky pick before rising to the top? I think you have to have a top 5 pick or better in a good draft to become part of the true contender list - and please don't count some of our draft bust trades as top picks. But by the same token you can't spend your life in the gutter looking for gold. You need to either tank on a good year or find some perennial loser to fleece with some decent value (Scola and pick).

14. AggieRocketsFan

CHAT WRAP-UP:

Rockets chat
    (11/30/1999)
    Tuesday April 19, 2011
    12:48

Chronicle Sports:
    Hello, folks. I'm Nick Mathews, the online sports editor here at the Houston Chronicle. In just a bit, we will be joined by Jonathan Feigen, Rockets beat writer for the Chronicle, to discuss the coaching situation.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 12:48 Chronicle Sports
    12:49

Tuesday April 19, 2011 12:49
    12:50

Jonathan Feigen:
    Just back from the Daryl Morey press conference and getting ready to start the chat at the top of the hour. We'll talk with you then.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 12:50 Jonathan Feigen
    12:50

Chronicle Sports:
    Here's Jonathan's news story on the coaching situation: http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7527132.html
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 12:50 Chronicle Sports
    12:51

Chronicle Sports:
    Here's Richard Justice's column on the game: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/rockets/7527605.html
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 12:51 Chronicle Sports
    12:51

Chronicle Sports:
    Readers are welcome to submit questions to Jonathan at any times.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 12:51 Chronicle Sports
    1:00

Chronicle Sports:
    OK, folks, we are ready to go. Since I am in the chair, I'm going to ask the first question. And it's an obvious one: How did this happen? How did we get to this point?
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:00 Chronicle Sports
    1:01

[Comment From Mark Mark: ]
    Thanks for taking the time.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:01 Mark
    1:01

[Comment From EMAC EMAC: ]
    that's two questions, Nick...save some for the others!
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:01 EMAC
    1:02

Jonathan Feigen:
    Thanks for being here, everyone.

Things began heading this way when Rockets owner Leslie Alexander was unwilling to offer a new contract, making Rick a lame duck. Tension built in the organization with Rick seeking to win now and the organization making moves for the future over his objection in some cases. They could have come together and almost did a few times over the past few days, but agreed that they were really no longer a good fit.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:02 Jonathan Feigen

[Comment From Sam Sam: ]
    who is the front runner for the job?
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:02 Sam

[Comment From Sri Sri: ]
    Well the obvious, who do you think the rockets will pursue? And who do you think they should pursue?
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:02 Sri
    1:03

[Comment From rocketsfan rocketsfan: ]
    Rockets don't want to be mediocre in the long run. texans didn't have the guts to make the call, rockets did
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:03 rocketsfan
    1:03

Jonathan Feigen:
    Too soon to say who the frontrunner is. They would not even acknowledge that they have set the criteria. The process will start with interviews of Mario Elie, Elston Turner and Jack Sikma, according to a source. Mike Brown will be a strong candidate.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:03 Jonathan Feigen
    1:04

[Comment From Justin Justin: ]
    Hey Johh, Seems to me that Morey has Les's ear. Morey has been good but the constant roster moves seem to have the rockets stuck in the mud. Whats your take on Moery's tenure and how long does Morey have until Les starts looking for a new GM
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:04 Justin
    1:05

Jonathan Feigen:
    I like the initial list, Sri, and I think Mike Brown will be a much stronger coach than his reputation. The Cavs were an outstanding defensive team. That is about coaching, not just having one superstar. The offense looked worse because he catered so much to LeBron. That won't be a problem here. If Stan Van Gundy becomes available, he's tough to beat.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:05 Jonathan Feigen
    1:05

[Comment From Ben Ben: ]
    Do you think they will look at Mario Ellie or Sam Cassel as possible replacements?
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:05 Ben
    1:06

Jonathan Feigen:
    The constant roster moves have been with Les' blessing. He has more than Les' ear; he has his confidence. He has as long as the next coach.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:06 Jonathan Feigen
    1:06

Did you ask Morey IF he would consider coaching?
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:06 EMAC
    1:07

Jonathan Feigen:
    I have not heard Sam mentioned, Ben, but will look into it again. As I mentioned in the story this morning, Elie is already set up with an interview.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:07 Jonathan Feigen

Jonathan Feigen:
    No, EMAC, I didn't. I should have. The occasion could have used some levity.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:07 Jonathan Feigen

[Comment From Ron J Ron J: ]
    It's time to bring Mario Ellie back to coach the team, he will get the most out of the current players.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:07 Ron J
    1:08

[Comment From rocketsfan rocketsfan: ]
    Is Finch from RGV a dark horse in the coaching search? supposedly they run the same system down there.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:08 rocketsfan
    1:08

[Comment From Mike Kerns Mike Kerns: ]
    What do you think the chances of Les going for another "big name" Coach as opposed to an assistant (Budenholzer) or a less established guy (Mike Brown).
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:08 Mike Kerns
    1:09

Jonathan Feigen:
    Chris Finch might be a name to consider, but not because he runs Adelman's system. He is obviously development oriented and that will be a key.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:09 Jonathan Feigen

[Comment From Alan Alan: ]
    Morey talked about the Rockets' history of relative coaching stability. How well do you think he and Alexander have done during their tenure in terms of navigating the difficult tension between maintaining stability and producing necessary change?
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:09 Alan

[Comment From MP MP: ]
    Hi Jonathan
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:09 MP
    1:10

Jonathan Feigen:
    Les has always chosen big names in previous coaching hires, but also went with Morey when he needed a GM. Morey mentioned several times that fans should judge the hire on results, not the name. Sounds like Budenholzer. Too soon to say, though. If Les loves a candidate, that's where they'll go, especially the big names.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:10 Jonathan Feigen
    1:10

[Comment From MP MP: ]
    Hi Jonathan - thanks for the chat. Two questions: 1. Is there any chance Rudy T come back? 2. Does this Morey move mean they are looking into the further future, and are out of the "win now" mindset? I know the roster isn't quite a "win now" one, but Mr. Alexander's statements never seem like he likes (or is even willing to) go through a rebuilding mode. Thanks again!
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:10 MP
    1:11

Jonathan Feigen:
    Changing coaches in four-year intervals is relative stability, but that also comes when you have the star talent that attracts coaches with the track records of Van Gundy and Adelman. I don't know how much of a pat on the back they get for failing to be stupid.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:11 Jonathan Feigen
    1:11

[Comment From Brian Brian: ]
    Where is Rudy T when you need him?
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:11 Brian
    1:12

[Comment From AggieRocketsFan AggieRocketsFan: ]
    Yao has the Rockets stuck in the mud.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:12 AggieRocketsFan
    1:13

Jonathan Feigen:
    No chance on Rudy, MP. He has decided coaching is in his past and is happy with what he is doing. As far as looking to the future, Morey and Leslie are pretty determined to make long-term moves. He was very clear, however, they have no intention of blowing off seasons to take a chance at lottery magic, which means win all they can while chasing trades and free agents.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:13 Jonathan Feigen

[Comment From YOS YOS: ]
    i like mario elie, since he is a former rocket, but does he have any coaching experience?
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:13 YOS

If no Rudy, go with Ellie, of Jack S.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:13 Brian
    1:14

Jonathan Feigen:
    Mario has been an assistant with the Spurs, Warriors and Kings. He told me a few years ago he intentionally sought different experiences to better prepare him for a head coaching job. And they would not have to pay his moving expenses.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:14 Jonathan Feigen

[Comment From Sri Sri: ]
    Do you think any of the coaches that we are avail (realistically) are better fit to the team rather than adelman. With their roster the rockets performed pretty well and the players seemed to respect him
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:14 Sri

Jonathan Feigen:
    By the way, YAOS, I don't think the former Rocket thing will matter.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:14 Jonathan Feigen
    1:15

Jonathan Feigen:
    I don't see anyone squeezing more out of this roster than Adelman did, but the next coach will not be coaching this roster. More changes are coming. They wanted someone that will be more on board with those changes.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:15 Jonathan Feigen
    1:16

[Comment From bigun bigun: ]
    Will Rockets wait until after the Lockout/settlement to make a move and let Elston or Jack coach until then. Morey won the players pick contest so he controls the draft anyway.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:16 bigun
    1:17

Jonathan Feigen:
    The Rockets will not wait until after the lockout to make a move. They will start the process today. If they settle on the guy they want, he'll have the job -- and many months to decorate his office before he'll begin coaching here.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:17 Jonathan Feigen

[Comment From Alex Alex: ]
    It appears the Rockets want someone younger and more willing to develop talent. Would they look at someone like Brad Stevens or prefer to stay in the NBA?
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:17 Alex

Rudy should have a major role in the Rockets organization..
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:17 Brian
    1:18

Jonathan Feigen:
    I don't think they will go with a college coach with no NBA ties, Brian. Too much good NBA options.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:18 Jonathan Feigen

[Comment From Larry Larson Larry Larson: ]
    Rick Adelman did much more with much less than anyone expected. Is this the Rocket's way of telling their fans that there will be a long, slow rebuilding process?
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:18 Larry Larson

[Comment From YOS YOS: ]
    i agree, yao's time it over
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:18 YOS

[Comment From jose jose: ]
    daryl morey should man up and try coaching this team...
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:18 jose
    1:19

Jonathan Feigen:
    Not so much a long and slow process, Larry. It does say they don't consider themselves close and will need change. Rick was brought in to coach a team ready to contend.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:19 Jonathan Feigen

What players on the current roster are most likely to be shopped since we are on a youth movement? Martin, Scola? Miller to retirement?
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:19 AggieRocketsFan

Jonathan Feigen:
    Why, Jose. He's not a coach. He's also not a center.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:19 Jonathan Feigen
    1:21

Jonathan Feigen:
    I would not say they are on a youth movement, Aggie. It's impossible to say who would be shopped because it will depend on what they can get which more than ever will be about contracts. Scola is obviously very respected. They would seem to have excess at power forward with Hill the odd man out. A lot will depend on free agency.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:21 Jonathan Feigen

[Comment From Bruce Bruce: ]
    What is Yao's status? Will we be looking for a big man?
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:21 Bruce

Who ever takes the job should insist that take a center with one of the 2 first round picks, or market the picks for a current NBA center.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:21 Ron J
    1:22

Jonathan Feigen:
    Yao is in Beijing and is still not cleared to begin on court workouts. The Rockets might sign him as a free agent if all goes well, but they will absolutely look to sign a free agent center to start. Yao's recovery and return would be gravy, but they will not count on it.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:22 Jonathan Feigen

[Comment From NS NS: ]
    Hi Jonathan, what other changes (as referred in your tweet) do you believe Morey will make after this first one of Adelman? Is there anyone on this roster that is protected, or is no one safe on the roster?
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:22 NS

Good graph for history of NBA coaching volatility
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:22 AggieRocketsFan

http://hoopism.com/?p=931 Good graph for history of NBA coaching volatility
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:22 AggieRocketsFan

If anything hire Mario Ellie and get Rudy as an assistant or adviser
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:22 Brian
    1:23

Jonathan Feigen:
    It sounded as if no one is safe. The Rockets make tons of changes. That's been Morey's MO. I laugh when I hear on the radio that it is time to make changes. When did they stop?
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:23 Jonathan Feigen

[Comment From Mark Mark: ]
    Would the Rockets wait for the Spurs to get elimated from the playoffs to interview Mike Budenholzer? Do you think they'll hire anybody before Orlando makes a decison on SVG?
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:23 Mark

Get Marc Gasol's agent on the phone as soon as their playoff run ends!!!
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:23 Ron J
    1:24

Jonathan Feigen:
    The Rockets would not have to wait for the Spurs to be eliminated to talk to Budenholzer, but would be careful to work with the Spurs on that. They probably won't hire anyone too quickly to consider Stan. If the Magic advance and the Rockets would have to wait for him, he probably won't be available, anyway.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:24 Jonathan Feigen
    1:24

[Comment From Marcus Marcus: ]
    With Mario Elie in talks and set up with an interview, do we have any idea of what style of coaching he'd bring to the team? Offensive minded? Defensive? I guess a general elaboration would help me gain a better understanding...
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:24 Marcus
    1:25

Jonathan Feigen:
    Sorry, Ron. It's against the rules to talk to Gasol's agent before he's a free agent.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:25 Jonathan Feigen
    1:25

Jonathan Feigen:
    Sorry folks. Have to step away. Be back in a minute.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:25 Jonathan Feigen
    1:26

Chronicle Sports:
    Thanks, Jonathan. Understood. Folks, we'll return to the chat in just a bit. Thanks again for submitting so many great questions to Jonathan.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:26 Chronicle Sports
    1:27

[Comment From JOEL JOEL: ]
    I have mixed thoughts about Ricks mutual departure partially due to what I believe is this team played particularlly the second have of the season great with the level of talent the team had.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:27 JOEL
    1:28

I would say Ellie would have a tough strong team..
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:28 Brian

HE double hockey sticks to SVG!!
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:28 Brian

[Comment From Rickardm Rickardm: ]
    About Yao, I think the Rockets should bring him back, with a low abse and back load the contract with performance based incentives. That way if he can't come back and perform the risk is low. BUT they still need to assume the worst and bring in a proven big man at center
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:28 Rickardm
    1:29

[Comment From Scott Scott: ]
    no way I sniff coaching this team if I am a big name coach. With not knowing about Yao, looming lockout , it is going to be hard to attract anyone
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:29 Scott
    1:29

Hire Mario, he brings in Sam and Robert as assistants and hires an experience Xs and Os bench coach!!!
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:29 Ron J
    1:30

Adelman failed to get a playoff caliber team into the playoffs two years in a row. People say he overachieved, but our mediocre team was still mediocre at the end of the year.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:30 AggieRocketsFan
    1:31

[Comment From JOEL JOEL: ]
    There should be a hard recruitment push following the completion of the playoffs to sign Tyson Chandler....
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:31 JOEL
    1:32

IF Morey could get Danny Granger then that guy could work with any coach. He fills up the stats and plays hard.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:32 EMAC
    1:32

[Comment From mike palmer mike palmer: ]
    They let go the wrong guy. Rick didn't have anything to work with. I blame that on Daryl Morey. DARYL, Quit screwing up your team.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:32 mike palmer
    1:33

Well get JVG back in here and make him get a guy to run the offense, then you get the total package a great defense and a very good offense.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:33 Ron J
    1:33

I do not think Dallas is going to let go of Chandler...this is the best 5 they have had and it may make all the difference during the playoffs.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:33 EMAC
    1:34

Jeff Van Gundy with Mario as a assistant!!!
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:34 Ron J
    1:34

[Comment From bigun bigun: ]
    I would like them to get Anderson from Magic.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:34 bigun
    1:35

Jonathan Feigen:
    OK. I'm back. Thanks. Had to step away to chat with Rick Adelman.

Fire away.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:35 Jonathan Feigen
    1:35

[Comment From Mike Kerns Mike Kerns: ]
    Would Les entertain the idea of Jerry Sloan? Not that I'm endorsing him or anything, just curious.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:35 Mike Kerns
    1:36

Jonathan Feigen:
    I don't think so, Mike. I think they are looking for someone more development oriented and to have greater input in some coaching decisions. That's not Jerry.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:36 Jonathan Feigen
    1:36

[Comment From Sprinter Sprinter: ]
    What about Lawrence Frank? He seems to fit the bill; young, energetic, develops young players (in NJ) and is defense oriented.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:36 Sprinter
    1:37

Jonathan Feigen:
    No question, Sprinter. I think he would do well in the interview setting. Also, Daryl would get a pretty good feel for him from his many contacts in Boston. He'll know what he's getting or not getting.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:37 Jonathan Feigen
    1:37

[Comment From Alan Alan: ]
    Which would be the more intriguing destination for Adelman from a basketball standpoint: Los Angeles or Miami?
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:37 Alan
    1:38

Jonathan Feigen:
    Nothing could be more intriguing than Miami. Los Angeles, however, would be a much better fit. I don't think Miami would make a change, but if Riley does, he would not pick someone that does things his way. He'd want someone that does things Riley's way. LA would be perfect.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:38 Jonathan Feigen
    1:38

[Comment From Mikey Mikey: ]
    Can Kevin Martin still be good player without Adelmans offense?
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:38 Mikey
    1:39

Jonathan Feigen:
    Sure. Martin's a better first-step one-on-one player than many realize. He would lose some of his movement without the ball. It's hard to have a better offense than the Rockets had with their personnel.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:39 Jonathan Feigen
    1:39

[Comment From ray ray: ]
    now that RA is gone do you think there a superstar wanting to play in houston
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:39 ray
    1:40

Jonathan Feigen:
    Not especially, Ray. I don't think they would be averse, but he certainly was not keeping them away. Players like playing for Adelman.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:40 Jonathan Feigen
    1:40

[Comment From Charlie Charlie: ]
    Can you elaborate on "more changes are coming" or will we have to wait and see?
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:40 Charlie
    1:41

Jonathan Feigen:
    No one can elaborate, Charlie. Daryl is not going to stand pat with this roster, but he does not know what deals will come. One thing we know they want is to get a center in free agency. Gasol. Chandler. Jordan.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:41 Jonathan Feigen
    1:41

[Comment From Troy Troy: ]
    Was the Adelman decision basically the Rockets saying they are moving on from the McGrady/Yao "era"
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:41 Troy
    1:43

Jonathan Feigen:
    That's part of it. It was more that he wanted things from management and management wanted things from him that they could not bridge. I think he wanted more input on personnel. I believe they wanted input on coaching hires and a player development approach.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:43 Jonathan Feigen
    1:43

Do you have any idea how Hasheem Thabeet is doing or if he is in the Rocket's plans for next season?
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:43 AggieRocketsFan
    1:44

Jonathan Feigen:
    He's working out with them. His time in the D-League was a mixed bag. They hope he's a keeper, but he'll have to prove it. He has not yet.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:44 Jonathan Feigen
    1:44

[Comment From James James: ]
    Do you think Rick is coaching again next year(or does he take a year off/) and if so, where do you think he ends up? Thanks
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:44 James
    1:45

Jonathan Feigen:
    Tough one James. I just talked with him. He sounded totally OK with taking time off, but does not consider himself retired. If the Lakers call, I imagine he coaches again.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:45 Jonathan Feigen
    1:45

[Comment From jimbo jimbo: ]
    Why Stan Van Gundy? I understand starting fresh with a young coach, but as far as proven commodities, Adelman is right up there with the best. Also seems unlikely that Stan would come here when they fired his brother…
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:45 jimbo
    1:46

Jonathan Feigen:
    The most obvious reason, Jimbo, is that Stan is a great coach. Keep in mind, they let Rick go in part because that's what he wanted. The Rockets fired Jeff, but they seem to get along very well since. I think he would speak well of them to Stan. Weird, but true.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:46 Jonathan Feigen
    1:47

[Comment From Brady Brady: ]
    Is Morey also on the hot seat and if so how hot is the seat? How much longer on Morey's contract? If I were Les, I'd have fired Morey and kept Rick.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:47 Brady

whenever the season resumes, teams and free agents will be scrabling to say the least. Houston WILL have their coach in place but the FA will be ripe for the picking. This could bold well for the Restricted FA such as Gasol. Memphis will have little time to make a BIG decision given the outstanding play of Zach Randolph
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:47 EMAC

entertain the idea of Sloan? That make make Jerry crack a smile! ha
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:47 EMAC

[Comment From Jay p Jay p: ]
    It was stupid to bring in adelmen and his up- tempo offense to coach
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:47 Jay p

[Comment From Trea Trea: ]
    If Morey wants to decide who plays then he should step up and coach the team. Hiring a coach and then dictating who he plays or second guessing him is not going to work.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:47 Trea

[Comment From Mario Mario: ]
    I believe the Rockets front office will target a few free agents or soon to be free agents (i.e. players with a year to go that may walk from current teams) as they did Amare, Bosh and Melo. Who do you think might be the shortlist that Daryl targets in between now and the next trade deadline?
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:47 Mario
    1:48

Jonathan Feigen:
    Morey seat is so nice and comfy cool, he did not even know how much time is left on his contract. I thought it was through next season. I know it's not up. When I asked him a couple weeks ago, he said he honestly could not remember.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:48 Jonathan Feigen
    1:48

[Comment From sabesque sabesque: ]
    Not sure how Rick isn't the guy for development? it seems like young players thrived in his system.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:48 sabesque
    1:49

Jonathan Feigen:
    I don't think he ever dictated who should play, Trea. In most cases, he does not disagree with the decisions made. And there is a whole lot more to coaching than pointing at someone on the bench and saying, 'Get in there.'
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:49 Jonathan Feigen
    1:50

Jonathan Feigen:
    Good point, Sabesque. I don't know the answer to that one, either.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:50 Jonathan Feigen

[Comment From KING23 KING23: ]
    What one position should we go with in the draft in 1st round
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:50 KING23

Jonathan Feigen:
    Forget position. They should never consider it in the draft. They should take the best player they can get and be picky about position (center, center and center) in free agency.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:50 Jonathan Feigen
    1:51

[Comment From Andre Andre: ]
    What are your thoughts on Mario Elie, Johnathan. What kinds of things have you heard about him?
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:51 Andre
    1:52

Jonathan Feigen:
    I personally like Mario, a lot. It's hard to say much about most of his coaching career because he was with Nellie and it was tough to know what they were doing and was with Westphal for such a short time. He knows his stuff. He has a great personality. I think, Andre, you and I should sit in on the interviews with him.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:52 Jonathan Feigen
    1:52

[Comment From VDA VDA: ]
    What's Adelman's take on his firing/departure?
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:52 VDA
    1:53

Jonathan Feigen:
    I was not part of the discussions and Daryl would not reveal much about them, but I would have made it a priority to keep him.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:53 Jonathan Feigen
    1:53

Could you see a match between the Hawks and Adelman? They have some good players to compliment his system(Horford) and are ready to win.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:53 AggieRocketsFan
    1:54

Jonathan Feigen:
    That's a very good thought, Aggie. I don't know if Rick would want to make that move, but he would do very well there. And they would truly move away from their iso history.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:54 Jonathan Feigen
    1:54

[Comment From Ryan Ryan: ]
    Which breakup was worse? RA/Rox or SVG/Rox? They both were initially publicized as an amicable divorce
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:54 Ryan
    1:55

Jonathan Feigen:
    Assuming you mean the JVG breakup, I don't think that was ever thought to be amicable. It wasn't.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:55 Jonathan Feigen
    1:55

[Comment From Ryan Ryan: ]
    What happened to Matt Bullard? Is he no longer broadcasting Rox games?
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:55 Ryan
    1:57

Jonathan Feigen:
    Matt does the road games, Ryan.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:57 Jonathan Feigen
    1:57

Chronicle Sports:
    We have time for one more question -- Jonathan has to start writing.

What are the odds that we start next NBA season on schedule?
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:57 Chronicle Sports
    1:58

Jonathan Feigen:
    What? Whoa. I have to start writing? Oh, OK. Sure rather do this than transcribe tape.

As for the odds that the season starts on time, they're not good. I can't put a number on it, but I'd be surprised.
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:58 Jonathan Feigen

Chronicle Sports:
    HAHA!!
    Tuesday April 19, 2011 1:58 Chronicle Sports

Chronicle Sports:
    Thanks for taking the time during your uber busy day, Jonathan. Really appreciate it. Readers, thank you for joining as well. Take care, folks.

15. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

How are they cheap? They buy draft picks in virtually every draft, sometimes multiple. They pay cash in trades to get the other teams to bite on the deal. They spend tons of money on data/analytics research. They hire top tier coaches (JVG, Adelman). They paid the luxury tax this year for a lottery team.

"We are one of the cheapest franchises and thats a fact"

The only fact is that you have no idea what you're talking about.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I don't see anyone squeezing more out of this roster than Adelman did, but the next coach will not be coaching this roster. More changes are coming. They wanted someone that will be more on board with those changes.

Definitely sounds like scola and martin will be shopped, probably to get that center.......i can't see the grizz giving up gasol...they have a complete team that fits well together. I can see the Mavs wanting Martin and letting Butler walk...clippers dont have reason to trade Jordan to us, unless we're willing to give up Lowry and take back Mo will...

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think Adelman would object using some of "his players" to acquire a big star. What the FO wants to do is to get a high potential player and hope to develop him into the star they want. What troubles me about this statement is that Morey will continue to use the revolving door player policy.

18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This. The main issue with the franchise is the fact they need to channel their energy & money into a full scale rebuilding job. This rebuilding on the fly idea isn't working & I think that was the main issue with the 65year old head coach.

19. mkselucas

mkselucas New Member

Hello all---

Maybe this has already been mentioned, but my concern now is this: If this is how the organization treats a "hall of fame" coach, the winningest coach in team history, a guy who's been to the finals---why would any other decent coach want to come to Houston?

I worry now that no one will give us a serious look except assistants who are desperate for a HC job.

I guess the key will be to find someone who is philosophically in line with Morey and his team so that the communication issues don't continue with the new guy.

matt