1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Podcast: Feigen on 610, explaining why Adelman wasn't retained

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

When Yao went down for good again, it changed the season into a "rebuilding" one. Didn't help that the team was losing a bunch then.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

I cant really dispute that. Yes they have been forced to rebuild on the run so to speak due to injuries. But I dont think they've planned to rebuild(maybe until now) or put a full effort into rebuilding(again, until now).

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

I'm sad to see Rick go although I doubt we will get anyone better.

But I do think the overall staff can improve dramatically if we start to mimic the more succesful coaching schemes in the league. Was Rick going to be willing to take on a strong defensive co-ordinater like Thibodeau or Frank?

There is one scenario I can see where we actually improve. That's where we hire Budenholzer - someone who would perhaps make more use of Morey's analytics, have some modern twists to his system, but realistically will not be as good a technical coach as Adelman. If he takes on a defensive head assistant coach, I can see it working for us.

I'm also glad they've decided to stick with the motto that we either get a superstar or we go young. Anything in between is bull****, and we might come out of next season having given a former assistant one year of head coaching experience to polish off his skills, a great draft pick, and a young roster. If that's what happens, I would be more than happy.

More importantly, if there is a lockout and hence long periods where you can't make trades, we will be in a great position given that our players are young and can improve during time-off. Imagine Thabeet continuing to get 6 months of training from CD? Imagine Lowry getting into slightly better shape? Imagine Jordan Hill putting on some muscle? Budinger working on his handles? Terrence Williams maybe changes his attitude and works hard?

We're in a good position. Adelman is a fantastic coach, but I think he is too good and experienced to wait around for this team to become a contender. This was probably the best move for him as well - lots of gigs could open up including Miami, Orlando and Lakers. He'll be a top candidate for all of them.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I didnt word that correctly....i meant for the starting spot. Not overall...

What didnt sit well with him, that morey made him look like a liar or just that AB was traded anyway? Or both?

And i didnt mean "brooks over lowry" literally...should have worded that better. I just thought it was obvious Brooks wasn't fitting in anymore, on the court and contract-wise. With Lowry emerging as a great starter it seems like a logical to move on without Brooks and shop him...i dont understand why RA would tell AB he's not getting traded in that situation, unless Morey confirmed it, but i dont believe he did...

Was it luck that the trades worked out or is it morey being right and RA wrong? I liked RA, but i also like both trades.

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I agree pretty much word for word.... i think people just dont like the move because they realize that we might suck next season... but we will have lost the battle to win the war. Perfectly sums up why this move was made

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Regarding the Brooks/Adelman/trade thing, this was when Brooks walked off the court. It was a day or so after that Adelman said something along the lines of "Now people think we are going to trade you, that isn't going to happen."

Whoops! As we know, Brooks was traded.

I would say both.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It sounds like the main issue is that the FO sort of disregarded the coach and the players in their decisions.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

9. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Not according to Daryl, he went on 610 every Thursday morning talking about making a run at the playoffs and not tanking...sooooooooo rebuilding wasn't a consideration until the deadline.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Anyone have the exact quote? Is that what durvasa is refering to? IIRC it was vague...more like they weren't going to trade him just because he walked off, not that he woudldn't be traded...i just find it weird that RA would say that during a time when Lowry was pushing brooks out of the picture and paying brooks big money was making less sense. That screams "trade".

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/rockets/7527605.html

Some parts are news to me.

[rquoter]
    Looking back on it now, we should have seen this divorce coming, because these two men have disagreed on virtually every move. There was one draft day a couple of years ago when Morey summoned Adelman and told him he was going to trade a chunk of his roster for a dazzling European point guard named Ricky Rubio.

"He could help us win a championship someday," Morey told him, "but we might win 20 games next season."

Adelman was stunned.

"Are you trying to get me fired?" he asked.

That trade fell through, but there were similar stories. For instance, at the trade deadline two years ago, Morey told Adelman he was dealing his veteran point guard, Rafer Alston, and turning the team over to Kyle Lowry and Aaron Brooks, two kids who'd barely played in the NBA.

Morey was constantly tinkering, trying to make the Rockets better, trying to position them to win a championship. Adelman may have appreciated the mission, but he wanted stability.[/rquoter]

12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

^^ Justice has told that story a few times. I think once he mentioned AB(Pre-Meltdown), Shane, Scola and a pick(I think) for the rights to Rubio.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Damn, we traded Rafer?
    :p

14. worzel gummidge

:eek:

Considering how Rubio has panned out in Euroleague...

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

This is what I could find:

[rquoter]
    Rick Adelman was certainly convinced. He was still angry a few days after Brooks had walked off, but after they met, he was ready to move on, not only certain that Brooks had learned from his mistake, but indicating that the Rockets are not interested in moving Brooks at the trade deadline.

"He just made a big mistake," Adelman said. "That's not like Aaron. He's one of the guys I gave the ball to and I still think he can be a terrific success in this league. I told him that tonight. 'There's a lot of people in this league who love you.' Now everybody ... is going to think we want to trade you someplace. That's not going to happen either."[/rquoter]

And you're right about that ^^^

16. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Well, hey, the "FO" could have kept Shane Battier and Aaron Brooks and Rick Adelman together forever, but they still wouldn't have made the playoffs and they damn sure wouldn't have contended. There can be no argument that this year's team just didn't cut it. Therefor, changes have to be made. Rick Adelman should never have told Aaron Brooks that he wouldn't be traded, if he did indeed say such a thing. Morey was very upfront with the fact that the Rockets wanted an all-star by hook or by crook, but even if he'd kept his mouth shut, there's no way he could have kept it a secret.

Morey is a hungry guy desperate to succeed, and Les Alexander is a man who knows the value of star power. If they'd traded Battier and Brooks for Carmelo, I don't think Rick would have minded that he wasn't asked for his blessing. That obviously didn't happen, but the Rockets continue to believe that changes are needed. They will not be standing pat. It's a simple reality that I'm sure is uncomfortable for the players, but the FO has been upfront with their intention to assemble a playoff team in Houston.

#36 Hippieloser, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  17. moreyball

moreyball Member

hmm...Brian Shaw?? Interesting

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think durvasa was refering to RA being against the trade. I've never heard that either....going back to what i asked earlier..could this just prove that maybe it was time for RA to go because he didn't agree with moves that have turned out pretty well for the team?

19. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

More or less the text form of the 610 interview:

Feigen: Rockets move on, leave next guy a tough act to follow

[rquoter]Kevin Martin was willing to keep an open mind, or maybe he was just curious, but he does want to see what Daryl Morey and Leslie Alexander come up with as they seek to replace Rick Adelman.

For now, however, there was little doubt that the next coach will have a tough act to follow.

"I think we lost one of the greatest coaches of all time," Martin said. "We took a step backwards. It's like losing a great player. You see what happens. But for now, we took a step backwards."

Even Daryl Morey, who held the door open for Adelman, called him a "Hall of Fame coach." It was not the first time he used the term to describe him, an indication it was not just a pr move for the press release.

Adelman is eighth in career coaching wins and first in winning percentage among Rockets coaches. He is also now gone.

The fit was no longer there. As Adelman pointed out, he came to Houston to coach Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady and ended up coaching Luis Scola and Chuck Hayes. He loved coaching those guys, along Kyle Lowry, Martin and others, as he often said, including in his prepared statement portion of the release.

The Rockets, however, have changed. Adelman could still coach them to wins, as he showed last season when he coaxed 43 wins out of a team that lost three of its planned starters to injuries (Yao Ming), trades (Shane Battier) or both (Aaron Brooks).

For Adelman to want to be back, however, he had to feel as if he would have greater communication, and with it greater influence with the front office. Morey needed to know that Adelman was on board with the way the team has changed and will have to keep changing.

They talked on and off for four days, and a lot on Monday. They never could bridge the gulf that had developed. It seems difficult to believe that it was mutual - like when Jerry and Janeane Garofalo broke up on Seinfeld - but it really was.

That will not make it easier to replace him. The Rockets finally have that offense down, to the point it was one of the league's best, even late in games. It will be tough to change to something more conventional, especially with so much of the team collected to run this offense and with the lockout likely to cut most of the training camp time to adjust.

It will be as tough to replace Adelman's style. The funny thing about Adelman is that he so reliably wins his players' confidence. He was, as always, widely praised and appreciated by his team. But he is not hugger. He doesn't hang out with players or suck up to egos. He has long practices and few days off. Yet, they desperately wanted him back.

The next guy will have to immediately show he's got the goods. On the job training does not work when you follow a popular coach with 945 wins.

The Rockets should do well. The other coaching searches in Leslie Alexander's time as owner netted Jeff Van Gundy and Adelman. Though neither got a second four-year term, both are pretty big-time.

If the Magic flame out and foolishly decide to blame Stan Van Gundy, Van Gundy will be on the top of any list that does not include Adelman. The Rockets would likely rush to grab another Van Gundy. The history with Jeff would not hurt. The breakup was rough, but things have been amicable since. (Though it is easy to guess what Jeff would say about letting Adelman go.)

Mike Brown does not get his due because he coached LeBron James and his offense in Cleveland seemed so stagnant at the end. That might have been to keep the ball and every decision in LeBron's hands. He would have to show he could keep the Rockets' offense clicking. But the Cavs had an outstanding defense and that does not come just with one superstar. That was coaching.

If Tom Thibodeau's success leads to the start of the next trend - and any second thoughts about letting him get out of town - San Antonio's Mike Budenholzer, long, longtime Popovich assistant, would fit that mold.

The first interviews, however, will go to Elston Turner, Jack Sikma and Mario Elie. They would need to wow Morey and Alexander in interviews, which will mean showing an emphasis on developing players.

Getting the job will be tough. Following the previous coach will be tougher.

For now, the Rockets invited "a Hall of Fame coach" to leave. That's a tough way to get better.[/rquoter]
    http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2011/04/rockets_move_on_leave_next_guy.html

20. DragonGirl

DragonGirl Member

Rubio is garbage player! Good for Adelman he do not want. I see Morey did many good things, but I think he undervalue great coach. Coach do not need to read stat sheet all day. In that case, John Hollinger should be coach. Or save owner more money and Morey coach himself.