1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3 of the largest online poker sites seized by FBI

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rn_xw, Apr 15, 2011.

1. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

http://www.businessinsider.com/online-poker-websites-fraud-2011-4

The U.S. Attorney for New York has indicted the founders the three largest online poker companies in the U.S. and seized their websites in a major crackdown on internet gambling.

The indictment charges eleven defendants — including the founders of PokerStars, Full Tilt Poker, and Absolute Poker — with bank fraud, money laundering, and illegal gambling offenses.

In addition, the domains for FullTiltPoker.net and AbsolutePoker.com have been seized by the FBI and replaced by this pleasant reminder that gambling is illegal.

The indictment essentially spells out a scheme by the poker companies to set up phony bank accounts to process illegal gambling transactions, either by lying to the banks about the nature of the transactions or by targeting struggling banks to who need the money to stay afloat.

In addition to the criminal charges, the US Attorney filed a civil suit seeking $3 billion in damages. The FBI froze 75 bank accounts and seized five websites, in addition to the arrests that were made today.

The bank and wire fraud charges carry a sentence of up to 30 years in prison.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/online-poker-websites-fraud-2011-4#ixzz1JcsKdODI

I wonder what's gonna happen to my account. I live in Canada, and just made 1k on pokerstars the past week and requested cash out yesterday.

2. TheresTheDagger

I wouldn't plan on seeing that money anytime soon...if ever.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Member

Soooo glad I quit these online Poker "scams" years ago.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

6. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Yeah....only thing is, site is located in Europe, I live in Canada...online poker is actually legal..then somehow the US government got involved.

7. macalu

macalu Member

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I pulled about 800 out of a gambling account recently. After letting it sit for almost 2 years. Should I make sure I pull my winnings out at all times? Could my money be lost in cases like this?

9. TheresTheDagger

If you have money in an account associated with any of these sites/defendants I feel confident in saying its gonna be frozen for the time being. This is gonna be a monster case.

10. Landlord Landry

whew. I was so worried about the ever growing online poker crisis. good job government.

11. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Thanks Obama

[​IMG]

#11 Jugdish, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2011
  12. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Ah, crap. Sorry guys.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Derp.

14. TheresTheDagger

You need to thank former Senator Frist and former Speaker of the House Hasert if you're looking for blame. They are the one's who got the "Internet Gambling Prohibition Act" amendment added to a bill concerning port security back in 2006 and Bush signed it into law.

I am no fan of Obama but this was a payback from conservative legislatures to someone with powerful lobbying interests in gaming. Who would that be? I allow you to speculate...

15. macalu

macalu Member

who lobbies in vegas, doesn't stay in vegas.

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

couldnt find a bigger picture?

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Damn that giant picture...

Was it easy to get your money if you won big or did you just have a big stack in your account? I haven't played with real cash on the internet in years.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Full title website still works or me

Or is it because I live in Canada

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

gotta get this thing to the 2nd page since jugdish had to go f*** everything up.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

2nd page bump...