1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bullard addresses Adelman's future with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AnnaMegan, Apr 13, 2011.

Tags:
  1. AnnaMegan

AnnaMegan Member

2. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

-Bullard basically admits that Les is the one who wants to move on from Adelman. He goes on to talk about how great a coach Adelman is and how he respects him.
    -Bullard thinks that Adelman moving on to a contender is a "legit" idea.
    -says an owner may not want to owe $5-6 million to a coach that isn't working during the lockout.

1 person likes this.
  3. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

That was a good listen, thanks.

4. Dei

Dei Member

That's understandble and, if that's all it is, they should just be upfront to Adelman about it.

5. worzel gummidge

It wasn't just this season that Les has wanted to replace Adelman.

6. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

I will be really disappointed if we lose him as coach.

7. dropshot001

dropshot001 Member

that's for putting that up. some interesting points in there

8. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

And this is why we aren't the Lakers. Cheap ass owner.

1 person likes this.
  9. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I doubt if money is the only reason. A big reason, but not the only. The way RA is unwilling to work with the younger players, for example, weighs more heavily into our planning.

10. Mooch

Mooch Member

f*** les

3 people like this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

And I thought it was that Kobe demanded to play for the Lakers...

12. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

He has done a much better working with our younger players than our previous coaches. He did a pretty good job developing Aaron Brooks(drafted in the 20s), Kyle Lowry(tossed away by Memphis in favor of Conley), Carl Landry(drafted 31st), Chase Budinger(drafted 44th), Von Wafer(a cast away for 3-4 different teams), and working Courtney Lee(ditched by the Nets). For a coach that is unwilling to work with younger players, he sure had alot of undrafted, unwanted players, and late draft picks turn into rotation players for our team and other teams in 3 years. That's what 2 young guys every year, while other teams are lucky to have their 1st round draft pick pan out at all in 3 years.

#12 BetterThanEver, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

What's going on Matt?

Very entertaining, I like it.

We had miscommunication.

Oops.

End of the year. Has to be bittersweet for you. By the time the season is over, you're burned out but in a week you're ready for it again.

If you love what you do, yeah. Not only do your seasons go like that, so does your career. I played 12 years. My first 3-4 years were a whirlwind. 5,6,7 years later it's a drag. 9,10,11 you say this wont last forever, I need to enjoy this. I had convos with some of the players, a lot of the guys were...they felt like they played hard and accomplished something in the face of adversity with trades and injuries. These guys wanted to play more after today.

If this is a hardworking tight-nit group, as it appears it is, no question the coach has to recieve some credit. Which leads me to ask, why is this likely RA's last game then?

When you're the owner, you get to choose. You get to make the decisions.

Strong case I think that they should retain him.

I agree. Great coach. Numbers back that up. With a win tonight, would move into 8th place on his own. Rick has had a good year this year. I've been impressed.

There is a theory out there that one of the reasons they dont desire him back because he has been labeled by some as a coach who was brought in to coach a vet team like Yao and Tracy but that may be less well suited to coach a young team of inexperienced players who need to develop. I dont get that AT ALL. Is there not young players on this very team who have developed under Adelman?

Maybe floated out there as an explanation? I agree with you, it doesnt hold water. Rick a great coach regardless. A lot of respect for him and his coaches. Those guys work hard.

I dont want to see...we all agree that this is likely it for Rick as Rockets HC. He hasnt expressed desire to retire, though he may but he has left the door open to coaching. What are the chances that he hooks up with a title contender?

Legitimate thing he is thinking about. Dont think Miami is where he'll end up. The Lakers might be a team if Jackson said he has had enough. Would be a great fit.

I think...too many people say the Rockets want to unload him and go seperate ways as opposed to Rick may not want to be here either. ... (Rich Lord)If you havent offered him a contract extension, you dont want him.

Lets throw this in there: there will be a lockout June 30. If you're an owner, you dont want to pay a coach 6-7 mil total if you arent playing games.

I get your point. I also dont buy that Rick Adelman looks forward to coming here coaching another 42 win team. I dont buy that. I know he's upbeat lately because theyre playing well but I dont know if a guy in his mid 60s want to coach another team who may not be a playoff team.

Good point. Between going back to 42 win team and 58 win team, what are you taking? Easy decision.

...So the NBA has cancelled the SL. Anything to make of that? What does SL mean to guys?

SL is...I took part in it. For the young guys, the more experience you can get at that high level, the better you'll be in the regular season. If you can get NBA level competition in the summer, that'll make you better. SL is very important. Also a place for players who dont have teams. Good networking place for people trying to find coaching jobs. If it has been cancelled, doesnt bode well.

Yes. Also summer internship also reportedly cancelled. Not gonna happen. No teams going outside the country for TC, no preseason games scheduled in Europe, they're clearly bracing for work stoppage.

Didnt NFL announce a preseason schedule even though they're in a lockout?

Yes, yesterday. Dont think NBA wont announce a schedule but the NBA is making some moves that are clear of what they think is coming.

In negotations, lots of things get done in both sides to realize how serious the situation is. I've been in a lockout. Wasnt pretty. We ended up coming to an agreement and salvaged the season. Please lets hope both sides agree to a deal. Would be devistating.

50 game season?

52 game season. Had sets of back to back to backs to get the games in. Was tough situation.

Kobe Bryant stuff--homophobic slur--you played the game a long time. You see what he said, wasnt aimed at anyone, is this being blown out of proportion?

Isnt everything blown out of proportion now days? That stuff goes on on the court, on the playground, college games, high school games. With media now, everything is overanalyzed and talked about. If you're a player on any level and being televised, you have to be aware what you do or say will be scrutinized.

[Caller]: This is disappointing about Adelman. Franberry wrote that article. I like to know where he got that from. Rockets havent made too many stupid mistakes except hiring coach prior to Adelman but if they were to bring in another coach, there are no other coaches better than Adelman except the championship coaches. Can you name me a coach better than Adelman?

Good question. If you're going to change coaches, you want to be sure to take a step forward, not step back. Also have to consider what kind of players you have on your roster and what system they fit best. Will the coach you're bringing in fit in with that or start over from square one?

I can only think of two--Phil Jackson and Greg Poppovich who are clearly better than Rick.

Yeah I would agree with that.

With those coaches, you can say, when they didnt have superstar players or no big three, they were in the 40 win category but when they had the great players, they were able to win championships. When you talk about Phil being GOAT, I say GOAT with great players. Had Kobe/Shaq, MJ/Scottie, and its no easy feat to get superstars to buy into the system. Phil a great coach.

So more impressed with a coach who does more with less?

Not neccesarily. Impressed with Phil winning with superstars on consistent basis. Just as hard.

Cant you say the same with Rick?

Yeah, thats the point I'm trying to make. You want to have a great coach but also have to have talented players to go with it. Gotta have luck, be healthy to win championships. Its complicated to win.

Rick had some good teams in POR, not sure if you agree with this or not, but Clyde was only superstar on either those teams.

Had good players but you wouldnt say Rick's teams in POR had a big 3.

And in SAC, Webber the superstar?

In name yeah. Better example there in SAC. Had a group of guys who fit in well and group of 5 guys out there winning, not just 2 or 3.

Bull, looking at the playoff positioning, LA, OKC, DAL battling for top 4 spots. How crucial is it for each of these teams? How key is it for LA to get 2?

The more rounds you go through with home court, the better for your chances to winning it all. Takes more effort without homecourt. Never figured out why homecourt is so important but numbers say it is. The longer you can have it, the better.

If LA is 2, they could face NO. You have to like that if LA. If they fall to 3, they're taking on Portland. How big of a difference is POR and NO?

LA doesnt want to face POR in 1st round. POR has given them fits in POR the last couple years. From POR, they dont want to face LA. They want to make it to the 2nd round. Have to look at it from both team perspectives.

So DAL #2 in the division. Theyre 4th seed I guess. Correct?

I think thats right.

So Dal-Den 1st round matchup? Correct?

So OKC in 3rd spot?

They have to be, they're division champs.

I think thats right.

I think so.

Have to do some research there. Wouldnt want to face OKC in 1st round. Got a great team with Durant and Westbrook, now added Perkins. OKC you need to pay attention to this playoffs.

Yeah, if I'm not mistaken, division champs get top 3 seeds so Dal-Den 1st round.

Does it get re-seeded?

No. 1-8 v. 4-5.

Lets say its OKC-Dal and Dal has better record, seeding doesnt change, but Dal would have homecourt right?

Right. Thats how 5 seed sometimes gets homecourt.

Of bottom 4 in west- Den, Por, NO, Mem--who is most dangerous?

I would say NO least dangerous. Memphis playing great ball. Randolph playing best ball of his career. Por playing well. Den has taken off since getting rid of Carmelo. Give Karl credit. Any of those 3 teams, wouldnt have to face them.

Speaking of Carmelo, NY locked in 6th seed and playing as well since he's arrived. Boston in 3 seed and not playing well. Scary matchup for Boston and could they pull the upset?

I was watching TNT, Steve Kerr made important observation in that you shouldnt put much weight on how teams come into the final stretch of the season. In 7 game series when coaches can break down the other team and exploit weaknesses, you shouldnt put a lot of weight into how they finish. In 7 game series, best team will win.

Appreciate it.

Big game tonight. If they win tonight, finish better than last year and Rick would be in 8th spot himself so they have something to play for against a team who has lost 14 straight.

14. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Repped.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Exactly what I said in the other thread on the subject.

16. choujie

choujie Member

People were arguing with me saying Les is "willing to spend". LOL.

17. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Way to go Les!!! your'e my boy!!!

[​IMG]

18. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

19. acjeitherocket

thx for posting

20. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

Rick sucks! Bring in someone else!