1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS Sports] Morey's contract is also up, status described as "questionable"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Apr 6, 2011.

1. tcsmith031

tcsmith031 Member

The people saying it's time for Les Alexander to go must be insane. How is what's happened recently his fault? The Rockets have an owner that is willing to spend money in order to win. What more could you want? Talk about spoiled. Do you know how good the Rockets have it compared to teams with awful owners like the Clippers, Grizzlies and (formerly) Warriors? Come on.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

3. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Adelman is by far the most important asset. Morey doesn't draw up plays or space the floor players get easy shots. Moreys job is too bring in talent, and the Rockets are among the least talented teams in the NBA. If anybody, Les needs to wake up and give RA is much needed extension

4. Serg300

Serg300 Member

When they said blow it up they meant the roster not the organization...geez :confused:

5. favhr#12

favhr#12 Member

awww yea hes a great off.... no nvm hes a great def....... no not that either well ill buy a ticket to see isiah thomas in real life so there we go money

6. anchel

anchel Member

Yeah... Messina resigned a few weeks ago, but his team goes 2nd in the ACB Regular Season (only behind Barcelona), and classified them for the quarterfinals of the Euroleague before leaving.

He's been critiziced for some media, but after all his team is competing out there for everything against teams with better and more experienced rosters. He has had some failures these seasons, for example with Velickovic, but all in all you can't consider his job as bad, much less as a disaster.

He recently recieved an invitation from the Spurs to visit them. At this point of his career, seems more interested in the NBA.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

A different coat tail than he rode in Golden State.

Eddie Jordan was coaching the year before. The year Adelman became the head coach, the Kings added Chris Webber(13 rebounds & 2 blocks) and Vlade Divac(10 rebounds & 1 block), who both happened to lead the Kings in DWS. Not to mention Jason Williams, Peja Stojakovic, Vernon Maxwell and Scot Pollard. I like Adelman just fine, but his defense coincides with the outstanding players he has had a chance to coach, so DM needs to get on that. Jeff Van Gundy is incredibly gifted as far as defense is concerned.

Was gifted a stud team from Mike Schuler.
    1989-4th
    1990-3rd
    1991-3rd
    1992-4th
    1993-12th (Lost Kevin Duckworth & Mario Elie)
    (Top 10 defense for the next 7 years without Adelman)

1995-21st
    1996-28th

1998-18th (Add Chris Webber & Vlade Divac)
    1999-10th
    2000-7th (Add Doug Christie, Bobby Jackson)
    2001-6th (Add Mike Bibby)
    2002-2nd (Add Keon Clark & Jim Jackson)

2003-21st (Add Brad Miller)
    2004-23rd (Add Cuttino Mobley & Kenny Thomas as core pieces)

2005-12th (Add Ron Artest & Bonzi Wells as core pieces)

8. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

And outside of Christie, which player actually played good defense:confused:

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

if i were Les, I'd stick with Rick and Morey. Give this thing a year or two more to work. it will work. we are headed in the right direction.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'd take your post at face value, however we all know you want the Rox and every other Western teams to get crap GMS who'll trade Pau Gasols for Kwame Browns to your beloved Lakers and keep supplying Kobe with franchise level teammates.

11. ashishduh

ashishduh Member

I severely question the credibility of anyone who considers Chris Webber a good defender.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If that's really what Adelman is making, he's woefully underpaid.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

I'll search for the article but I think that was the figure given when he was hired. Feigan wrote about it. I think JVG made 4 mil a year. Coaches don't make that much, except for Phil Jackson. That money is also not a part of the salary cap of course.

14. bellclare1

bellclare1 Member

Lol me 2

15. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

I get ur point. But having a GM who aquires mediocre players and young "assets" who he'll eventually trade for more young "assets" who turn out mediocre is just as bad. The rockets will never find superstar talent under Morey

16. Raven

Raven Member

It all starts with the owner.

17. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Messina is a great coach. But he was most certainly a huge disaster with real Madrid. He had enormous budgets and he was constantly underachieving with them. He refused to play certain players for no apparently good reason. He constantly argued with the the management.

He regularly made extremely insulting comments to the press and fans. He would regularly yell and scream profanities at his players. He quit on his team during the middle of the season, etc.

He is a great coach, one of the best in the world in terms of knowledge. His preparation and teaching is the best. He is a much more talented coach than Adelman or Van Gundy, the level of coaches the Rockets are used to.

But he is an extreme hard case and his personality is very, very questionable. I would stay away from him because unless he has everything exactly as he wants it he goes mental.

The reason he worked so well in CSKA was because he had an owner (Prokhorov) that let him do whatever he wanted and gave him complete control over what he wanted. That won't happen with the Rockets.

It's just like how jopatmc was talking about Larry Brown. It's the same type of thing with Messina. Although I do think that Messina is more of a hard case and a better tactician than Brown is. But it's the same exact problems that come with Messina that you get with Larry Brown.

And yes, Real Madrid is actually much better off without Messina.

18. ashishduh

ashishduh Member

It's not that hard to draw up successful game plans when your competiton is the Eureague, lmao.

19. anchel

anchel Member

Messina didn't sign the players. In fact, the last player he asked for is a wing scorer (in the middle of the season), and the club ended signing Mirza Begic (a center).

He has not been underachieving, considering the youth and lack of experience of his roster. And please, stop throwing false facts, it becomes really annoying.

20. kops630

kops630 Rookie

Great news!
    I couldn't wait until Morey cleans up his personal stuffs.
    In trading issues, he was like a babygilr.:mad: