1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I enjoyed the season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Apr 5, 2011.

Tags:
  1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i didn't enjoy this season.

the games felt pretty meaningless. if they win, big deal another first round exit. if they lose, big deal they probably won't make the playoffs anyway.

either way there wasn't a lot to invest in. thats what mediocre gets you. you're not playing for playoff success and your not playing for lotto success. so, what are you playing for?

2. eman

eman Contributing Member

I enjoyed the bright, shining moments, of course. Kyle and Chuck's improvement was fun to see. Aaron's struggles-- and Adelman's persistence in enduring Aaron's struggles-- probably cost us the playoffs, and sort of ruined the season all over again, after it had been ruined by Yao's injury.

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Opened 0-5, went into Dec at 5-12. It was DOA. To their credit, they've been stellar since February (19-9, 0.678). I really like most of the guys on the team and the way they are playing.

No offense, but that's literally what all rebuilding projects are.

What point is there in going Cavs-level unwatchable when there isn't a LeBron in the draft? All you did was disenchant fans, kill locker room passion for the game, lose hoards of money, and lessen your appeal to FAs.

In the NBA, you DO have to count on luck and breaks to have a star land in your lap. The Bulls took nearly a decade to get back to contender status despite swinging as hard as they could.

Credit Morey for not making foolish, impulsive, near sighted patch moves to bring in anyone that he could off the street. He targets guys he wants, and if he can't get them, that's that. He isn't going to overpay Charlie Villaneuva just so that he can feel good about signing someone to a big contract.

It won't happen nearly as fast as we want it to, but all you can do is put yourself in good position to leap on the opportunity when it presents itself.

2 people like this.
  4. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Yeah because there's such a thing as "playing for lotto success".

So many clueless people on this forum lol.

5. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I'm still in the "If you want to tank, you can join me and become a Wolves fan. Then you can learn what it really means to suck." viewpoint.

Not worried about this season, I think it shows that we've got a bunch, and furthermore I'm counting on more roster stability next year as opposed to this year. That should help.

6. PASTORofMUPPETS

Thank you Kevin Martin for making the season interesting. You definitely don't get enough credit.

7. rju1986

rju1986 Member

Agreed, this season has been difinitive of a New Era.. A new era of team basketball, new talent and the excitement of a superstar-spot open to be filled.

Everyone- team, staff and fans, have done the best they could have given, with what they had at the moment. In summary, our boys worked hard through these ups and downs. I applaud their efforts.

8. dartherus

dartherus Member

That's what many fans still don't understand....it TAKES TIME TO BUILD TEAM CHEMISTRY.....and Rockets was helped furthermore shipping AB, a ball hog who had no idea how to play team oriented.

That why emulating the Wolves, Clippers and tanking in the hope of getting a superstar soon was a plain dumb alternative.

Total rebuilding is not adviced neither. Team chemistry is hard to achieve, once achieved, how wise is to destroy everything to start again?

This team is exceeding in Assets, TWill still can be marketed as a huge potential guy who didn't fit in, and some other young players on the roster will also be marketeable, in the hope of getting the superstar, or the Defensive C the Rockets need so badly.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the season was like throwing up.

Sure, it's not how you wanted things to end but there is a little bit of you that enjoyed it.

10. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

I really would have liked to see the young guys get some valuable Play Off experience.
    Maybe even worry or possibly upset an injured Spurs or Lakers team.
    Kudos to Rick A on the season.
    Good luck to Morey in the off season.
    Enjoy retirement Yao!
    See you guys in 2012.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If the Rockets are really deep in the lotto, I doubt any of us would find much enjoyment. The games would suck and it's not like there is a real super prospect to be had in this year's draft (at least according to the folks who analyze these things for a living).

Yes, I enjoyed the 08/09 season much more. The hot streak they had after McGrady went down felt meaningful since the team was fighting for playoff positions rather than just a playoff berth.

As for this one, it's at time frustrating, but it's still an interesting to see Lowry and Hayes showing growth and an offense operating better than any Rockets offense has operated for a long time. There is not immediate success to be had this year, but there are positives to build on.

As far as having interesting basketball games to watch, this year's group is not bad.

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

watching the games was entertaining, but all of us could see the end result a mile away. either a first round exit or a late lotto pick. either way, nothing all that great. maybe i miss the few years we spent with championship potential, or going on a record setting streak, or even having a lottery bound team overachieve and make it to the playoffs. those story lines kept me glued. but a season on knowing where you will end up, and eventually ending up there, is not all that exciting to me at least. there was no great twist, no great conflict to resolve, and only minor rising action towards the end.

sorry to be a debbie downer about this season, but on the bright side i am very excited about the future. lowry is playing like an all-star, pat proved he is already an nba starting PF. young guys like lee, bud, dragic, etc... plenty to look forward to.

#52 smoothie, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

For me if I was to describe this season in one word it would be "frustration"

Last year I had zero expectations and enjoyed watching the team hustle and grow.

This year, once again, it was proven that chemistry is a fragile thing, and trying to introduce Yao was a disaster, then AB got hurt, and his ego took his game way south, and the team just did not play as hard as they did last year, especially on defense.

Sure there were bright spots, Lowry, Patterson, Chase (after his early slump), Hayes, Scola, Kmart, Lee, Twill (LOL - just seeing if you are still reading)....lots of stuff to like.

I guess all things point to next year, and always have with Yao's deal off the books, so we will see how Daryl handles that, and go from there.

I just wish the team would have won some of those games that got away earlier so we could see this core group in the playoffs.

And, at the end of the day, I am sad, because who knows if there will even be a season next year, so we may have a LONG time to wait to cheer on the men in mustard and ketchup.

Still....mixed bag overall for me.....

DD

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i think we're a fun team to watch, but agree that knowing we're still at least a year away from contending certainly undermined some enjoyment.

15. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I like boobies

16. J-Man

J-Man Member

Im disappointed.

17. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

THISSS

AND THIS

We were mediocre the entire here not sure whats so enjoyable about that. Kyle and Chuck had their moments and some big wins vs Lakers and celtics were nice I suppose. Outside of that there was nothing positive from this season. Morey's mismanagement is all about making sure your team is not poor...the reality is you'll never be a top team under his direction but never poor

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

It's nice to have hustle players but sometimes hustle isn't good enough to offset legit size or talent.

19. LandryMegaBeast

I enjoyed it for the most part.. but i just keep wondering what if!!

Had we not lost all those big leads we've had, or lost to less than average teams that we shouldve beaten, we would be a 50+ win team this season. I guess the word is disappointment, but hope for the future. I dont like missing the playoffs, even if we have a first round exit, the atmosphere of the games and the intensity of the teams playing is totally worth it to me.

2 seasons of no playoffs sucks.. next year is redemption year

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If Morey could trade away Rockets fans for a little leg up in winning, would that make you an even bigger fan despite the fact that you could be shipped off?