1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Final Four Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Icehouse, Mar 10, 2011.

1. emjohn

emjohn Member

I won't call it a complete disaster, it's been handy for me and is nice to use instead of the buses....but again, these events are exactly what it was conceived for, exactly what they designed it for....and it is by and large a failure.

The whole point was to put Olympic Village downtown, to put Super Bowl tourists downtown, and the rail was the magic carpet ride to/from Reliant. And it gets overwhelmed at each and every Texans game despite minimal tourists. It was a huge problem Saturday.

The pay kiosks are slow, annoying, and can't handle crowds, especially crowds of folks trying to use them the first time. Everyone should have Q Cards, but no one from out of town has a chance in hell of getting their hands on them. Capacity falls disturbingly short.

Does it help? Sure. But it should (ideally) be able to ferry out a quarter of the crowd and it can't keep up with 7 thousand of the 72K in Reliant.

Walked out of sold out Wrigley and their trains got me (and nearly everyone else) out no sweat. Ditto for Nationals Stadium, MSG, and other spots that rely heavily on mass transit. Reliant only needs help from mass transit, but it chokes up immediately.

I have my option every event to use it or drive, and I drive 99% of the time after giving the Rail a few chances. Unless you're leaving at half time, it's a nightmare.

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

Butler vs Conn.

No matter who wins, we lose.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

Funny, I've been to a cubs and nationals game, and hopped on their rail immediately afterwards, and yes it was a shorter wait, but it's also a much larger and more efficient transportation system.

Don't blame the rail for not being big enough, trust me, if Metro had its way, it wouldn't be so underequipped.

For what it's worth, I live on the light rail line, and I've used it several hundred times... never really had a problem, even during big events.

People here seem to want to pay coke prices for champagne, it seems.

Calling the rail a failure because it is overused/too small is like blaming an ant for not being able to lift a boulder... it does amazingly well for its size... but you should have slightly more realistic expectations.

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Member

I was referring to it being a complete failure for these type of huge events. I've been to other major events with rail, like the Olympic games, and didn't have to wait that long to catch the light rail. The only other time where I've had to wait that long is when I was in DC for Obama's inaug, and there were a ton more people there.

And it seemed like the Metro folks were counting folks on departure.

5. SWTsig

SWTsig Member

i just got invited to the game and almost turned the offer down. i'm going just to say i went and to hopefully see butler win the title but i really could'nt care less about this matchup.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

This game is ugly, but a lot of fun to watch.

Brad Stevens is something else.

7. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

both defenses have been tough, combine that with nerves, going to be brutal scoring wise. this is butlers pace though, they can get some more boards and stop turning it over, they'll be fine

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That 1st half was complete trash, which is Butler's type of game. This sure looks like it will go down to the wire but I wonder if UConn will take control to start the 2nd half. They can't play any worse.

9. Kam

Kam Member

Yeah, i kinda changed the channel. i'll catch the final ten minutes of the game later.

10. MourningWood

MourningWood Member

As Greg Anthony said, "That's the worst half of championship basketball I've ever seen."

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

I thought it was entertaining. Love Brad Stevens. i wonder if he wants to coach the Rox? His economics degree would make him a great match with Morey.

12. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Member

Did ya'll see bigtexxx holding the Rice Owls sign?

13. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Hahahaha I just came here to post this.

14. The Drake

The Drake Member

hahaha, Rice is repping HOARD

15. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

1st butler game i've watch this year and its left me wondering, how the hell did they make it this far! :confused: While i credit their grittiness, hustle and scrappyness, they severely lack talent, athleticism, height, size and TALENT.
    Anyways, i hope they somehow win it and put this game out of its misery soon.

16. mtbrays

mtbrays Member
    Supporting Member

This is the ugliest game of basketball I've ever seen. Neither team deserves to win after this, it's just going to come down to who survives.

17. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Brad Stevens. They are extremely well coached and disciplined in every aspect of the game

18. Mr. Brightside

Anyone have an online stream of this game?

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

Butler can't even make layups. Under 18% shooting.

20. VesceySux

VesceySux Member

Ugh. This sucks. Nobody wants stupid, cheating UConn to win.